The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

This is how to recognize ignorant Americans :)

By on December 30, 2014 1:28:34 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

woody-soft

Join Date 10/2012

I was just updating my forum account, changing some minor information, when I got an error "Letters only please" on my Firstname field (which I didn't even touched)

The content is "Jürgen", which consists of just regular letters and no numbers, but some stupid programmer decided that something inside that text is "NOT A LETTER".  Since we're dealing here with a highly sophisticated programmers company, may I just point out (since I'm also a programmer), that 

a ) this is a wrong errormessage (maybe he meant "A-Z only"?)

b ) The thrown error is wrong (since an "ü" is a valid letter)

c ) that guy should really learn that the world is no more 7Bit ASCII; that the world and also Stardocks customers and users aren't Americans only

d ) and that there's no technical reason to block non-american characters.

e ) maybe you could donate him a book like "Regular Expressions for Dummies" so that he can enhance his checking algorythm

f ) and how was I able to enter that "non-letter" character earlier, and why did he added that stupid check later on?

Of course that problem is just a nuisance, but it's holiday season, I have spare time , and from a programmers POV this was just a lousy job done.   Thus I really wonder if I should update my subscription, if those folks don't even get simple things like Umlauts sorted out...  (ok, just joking!)

Have a nice New Year!

Jürgen Wondzinski

Locked Post 54 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 2, 2015 12:37:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

January 2, 2015 1:53:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting starkers,

Hence my admiration for traditional Chinese mathematicians  I've seen a couple in action and they're simply amazing.

does anyone even teach chinese maths? based on the old text and all. i'm curious. i mean within school curriculum as opposed to all those extra tutoring class stuff they like to stuff their kids in over in the far east. or do people just teach what everyone else teach in the west? (for example)

January 2, 2015 6:46:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,

This is how to recognize ignorant Americans

Your bigotry is showing.

If your complaint is with a coder, address it to the coder.

How do you know he/she is American, and why would that matter except to your own arrogance?

What Doc said. 

January 3, 2015 4:25:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

In getting off the subject of ignorant Americans, while watching a bit of TV today I realised how to recognise hundreds of truly ignorant Australians... all in one place at the one time.

Yup, one tunes into the Parliament broadcasts on the ABC and literally sees hundreds of the bastards.    True, it was only a repeat of a previous sitting, but the reality dawned on me... that there were probably more ignoramuses in that one room at one time than any other room in the world.... except for perhaps Congress and similar establishments around the world, but that's another story for somebody else to tell.  I mean, fech it, why should I do all the hard work around here... and besides, US members would know more about the twats on Capitol Hill than I would.  Same applies for that lot in Westminster.  Much has changed since I was there and it was Alf Garnett and Harold bloody Wilson

Come to think of it, which I do, and being that I don't live in the US, am I qualified to say that those 'people' [and I use the term loosely] on Capitol Hill are twats? 

Yeah, of course I am!  They belong to the same profession as our twats in Canberra.

Guy Fawkes had the right idea, he just lacked the execution [pun intended].  Anyhow, seeing as how the execution of political persons has become distasteful in our modern and civilised society [again I use the term loosely], politicians who lie and/or break promises should be placed in the stocks and have projectiles of rotten food pelted at them.  I also move that we have rent-a-mobs for such occasions... you know, the kind of people who, if you whip them into a frenzy, will pick up and throw that which is beyond the putrification stage that you and I would not dare to touch

Yeah, true, I do have too much time on my hands, but I'm not sleeping too well again and I'm not in possession of the right meds.  While really I don't mind the hallucinagenics that make me see, say and do weird shit, right now a sedative is more attractive.

The other thing, is it Full Moon or getting close?  I ask cos that can also have an effect.... howooooooo.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000078   Page Render Time: