The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

This is how to recognize ignorant Americans :)

By on December 30, 2014 1:28:34 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

woody-soft

Join Date 10/2012

I was just updating my forum account, changing some minor information, when I got an error "Letters only please" on my Firstname field (which I didn't even touched)

The content is "Jürgen", which consists of just regular letters and no numbers, but some stupid programmer decided that something inside that text is "NOT A LETTER".  Since we're dealing here with a highly sophisticated programmers company, may I just point out (since I'm also a programmer), that 

a ) this is a wrong errormessage (maybe he meant "A-Z only"?)

b ) The thrown error is wrong (since an "ü" is a valid letter)

c ) that guy should really learn that the world is no more 7Bit ASCII; that the world and also Stardocks customers and users aren't Americans only

d ) and that there's no technical reason to block non-american characters.

e ) maybe you could donate him a book like "Regular Expressions for Dummies" so that he can enhance his checking algorythm

f ) and how was I able to enter that "non-letter" character earlier, and why did he added that stupid check later on?

Of course that problem is just a nuisance, but it's holiday season, I have spare time , and from a programmers POV this was just a lousy job done.   Thus I really wonder if I should update my subscription, if those folks don't even get simple things like Umlauts sorted out...  (ok, just joking!)

Have a nice New Year!

Jürgen Wondzinski

Locked Post 54 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 31, 2014 2:32:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Snowman,

Only 26, and yet so many manage to fuck it totally up.

We got 29 over here.

"We've got..." - the irony made me do it. However, you do a WAY better job in English than I do in Danish.

The Hebrew alphabet has 22 letters, of which five have different forms when used at the end of a word. The block and script look different (same letters, just different appearance), and the letters are also numbers...not enough? It's written from right to left.

December 31, 2014 2:44:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Let's all learn how to speak the language of the prairie dogs, and scream like goats to express our disdain for things.  

We could call it Esperan-two.  

+

=

December 31, 2014 4:06:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

A one post fail... love it.

December 31, 2014 6:33:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Snowman,

We got 29 over here

Here too....just like the Danes of the Mark.......Æ Ø Å

Those be letters.....not accents put on.

But who cares. Guess what? The entire internet is ignorant.......ever seen an internet address with any Chinese or Arabic characters? 

December 31, 2014 6:50:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting 2of3,

ever seen an internet address with any Chinese or Arabic characters?  

It does exist just for the records,yet,the usability and popularity is not mature.  And it's market-wise. You certainly don't want potential clients lost/fuddled on your native websites.  

December 31, 2014 6:52:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

http://wabe.org/post/chinese-find-number-urls-easier-letters-0

"Well, the short answer is that it is possible to create a URL that is Mandarin characters, but that's a relatively recent thing. A lot of devices require a certain plug-in to convert those Chinese characters to information that your browser can read. So a lot of these companies just take a shortcut and use digits. If you're an English speaker, you think that it's much easier to remember a URL that's spelled with letters than it is if it's spelled with numbers. But for the Chinese audience it's the opposite. For them, remembering digits is much easier than remembering the Roman alphabet. Even though they learn the letters, they're often still more comfortable with numbers. And they remember them a lot more clearly."

December 31, 2014 8:19:50 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You have no idea how proud I am of myself for that stupidity. 

January 1, 2015 6:23:30 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting G0z3R,

Let's all learn how to speak the language of the prairie dogs

Done.

January 1, 2015 6:43:15 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Snowman,

Join Date 03/2001
+339

January 1, 2015 5:23:30 AM from  WinCustomize Forums
Quoting G0z3R, reply 27

Let's all learn how to speak the language of the prairie dogs
Done.
        Starting the new year with a belly laugh is possibly the best thing to do!!!  Thank you snowy!!!!  

January 1, 2015 7:19:07 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

A classic, Snow ....

January 1, 2015 8:38:18 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,

Even though they learn the letters, they're often still more comfortable with numbers. And they remember them a lot more clearly."

Which is why the Chinese are such good business-people... their recollection and fascination with numbers makes them among the best in the world... if not THE best.

January 1, 2015 10:30:02 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,

Quoting DrJBHL,

Even though they learn the letters, they're often still more comfortable with numbers. And they remember them a lot more clearly."

Which is why the Chinese are such good business-people... their recollection and fascination with numbers makes them among the best in the world... if not THE best.

OMG. That has to be the most racist thing I have ever read!!!    What the eff is wrong with you two saying crap like that?!  

Everyone knows that the reason the orientals (not just the Chinese!) are so good with numbers has to do with the slant of their eyes and how that impacts the way they process the world around them, which in turn influences and enhances the portions of the brain responsible for mathematics, logic, and disciprine (, which in modern times is better utilized for corporate rather than empirical conquests).  

Now can we get back to the whole prairie dog language discussion. To relate that all back to the OP,  keep in mind that prairie dogs do not use Umlauts in their language (none of the dialects I have studied, at least).  Therefore, if we based a new, universal language around theirs, it stands to reason that our collective brain powers could be focused on humanitarian endeavors instead of arguing about fucking umlauts (on and off) for the last 24 hours. 

Case and point: Have you ever heard such petty arguments used to divide efforts toward the greater good in Star Trek? NOPE. Pretty hard to create and maintain a galactic federation if you're fighting about fcking Umlauts  

January 1, 2015 11:26:06 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hey...my quote is responding to 2of3's noting that the web is Anglocentric (language)...is that racist too?

"If you're an English speaker, you think that it's much easier to remember a URL that's spelled with letters than it is if it's spelled with numbers. But for the Chinese audience it's the opposite. For them, remembering digits is much easier than remembering the Roman alphabet."

There's nothing racist there. It's an observed fact...according to the person being quoted at that url, and it makes sense, if you use cortex instead of the Patellar tendon. People use numbers FAR more often in daily life than foreign alphabets (with the possible exception of translators, and even then I'm not sure).

ALSO, there was no derogatory intended by anyone, so puh-leeze: Hunt for victims somewhere else...like the Romulan Neutral Zone. 

January 1, 2015 11:59:35 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I was being facetious.    

January 1, 2015 12:01:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

That article (http://goo.gl/Llq9Gl) is misleading/a misconception. First of all,it's all about China's way,not other areas who speaks chinese in which used alphabets more. Then the second,China's web addresses chose digits instead of alphabets were for phonetic reason,it has nothing do with Chinese is good at numbers..........................  

January 1, 2015 12:16:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting G0z3R,

OMG. That has to be the most racist thing I have ever read!!! What the eff is wrong with you two saying crap like that?!

What is wrong with me?  In a nutshell, people like you. 

And I'm racist?  What you said regarding Asians "slant of their eyes" is despicable, highly offensive and should be appropriately dealt with.  Hopefully it is!

The other thing wrong with me... I neither have the location or a big enough boot to fullfil a thought I just had.

Oh well! 

January 1, 2015 12:22:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting G0z3R,

Everyone knows that the reason the orientals (not just the Chinese!) are so good with numbers has to do with the slant of their eyes and how that impacts the way they process the world around them, which in turn influences and enhances the portions of the brain responsible for mathematics, logic, and disciprine (, which in modern times is better utilized for corporate rather than empirical conquests).  

Quoting G0z3R,

I was being facetious.    

There's nothing facetious nor funny in calling people racists. Your statement regarding the epicanthic fold was racist and not at all amusing, however.

Avoid doing both in the future.

January 1, 2015 2:22:03 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

How about we start the New Year off by singing Auld Lang Syne.

Should old acquaintances be forgotten, 
And never brought to mind? 
Should old acquaintances be forgotten, 
And days of long ago!

Chorus: 
For times gone by, my dear 
For times gone by,
We will take a cup of kindness yet 
For times gone by.

We two have run about the hillsides 
And pulled the daisies fine, 
But we have wandered many a weary foot 
For times gone by.

We two have paddled (waded) in the stream 
From noon until dinner time, 
But seas between us broad have roared 
Since times gone by.

And there is a hand, my trusty friend, 
And give us a hand of yours, 
And we will take a goodwill drink (of ale) 
For times gone by!

And surely you will pay for your pint, 
And surely I will pay for mine! 
And we will take a cup of kindness yet 
For times gone by!

January 1, 2015 6:13:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting G0z3R,

I was being facetious.    

Facetious often does not translate/communicate well on the net.

One of it's prerequisites is prior knowledge/interaction of/with the person attempting to be such.... and thus understanding their head-space.

It's always safer to assume mis-placed levity will forever be mis-placed....

January 1, 2015 8:04:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Quoting G0z3R,
reply 39

I was being facetious.

Facetious often does not translate/communicate well on the net.

In this case it didn't/wasn't.   In fact, it was somewhat poorly received, given I know quite a few Asian people I happen to like and who I know would be offended by the comments of post #37.

On a nicer note: I knew an old Chinese guy who used to do his family's shop accounts with just an abacus, and they told me that he was not only very accurate but could also beat his Aussie-born grandson using an electronic calculator.  I was watching him one night while I was waiting for my food order, and honestly, I simply could not believe the speed with which he worked that thing... it was super fast, then he'd write down his total before waiting a few minutes for his grandson to tally his. The family told me that even when there was a discrepancy and they reworked the figures, more often than not the grandfather was correct the first time.  Hence my admiration for traditional Chinese mathematicians  I've seen a couple in action and they're simply amazing.

January 1, 2015 8:41:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Prairie dogs are racially superior to all of you.

January 1, 2015 9:09:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Cauldyth,

Prairie dogs are racially superior to all of you.

There is a response to this but I will refrain. 

Frankly, there have been too few intelligent posts in this thread to justify its continuance.

It began badly, has persisted in going that way, and will end badly.

Yup, it oughta be scuttled n' consigned t' Davy Jonses locker.

January 2, 2015 5:20:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting starkers,

Frankly, there have been too few intelligent posts in this thread to justify its continuance.

It began badly, has persisted in going that way, and will end badly.

So let's end it with something great. How about with quote from one of the most influential European philosophers:

Quoting Immanuel Kant,

Space is not something objective and real, nor a substance, nor an accident, nor a relation; instead, it is subjective and ideal, and originates from the mind's nature in accord with a stable law as a scheme, as it were, for coordinating everything sensed externally. [source]

January 2, 2015 11:50:10 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting G0z3R,

Let's all learn how to speak the language of the prairie dogs, and scream like goats to express our disdain for things.

Or the Fox?

January 2, 2015 11:59:30 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

[quote who="2of3" reply="49" id="3514494"]

Quoting G0z3R,

Or the Fox?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000391   Page Render Time: