The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

This is how to recognize ignorant Americans :)

By on December 30, 2014 1:28:34 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

woody-soft

Join Date 10/2012

I was just updating my forum account, changing some minor information, when I got an error "Letters only please" on my Firstname field (which I didn't even touched)

The content is "Jürgen", which consists of just regular letters and no numbers, but some stupid programmer decided that something inside that text is "NOT A LETTER".  Since we're dealing here with a highly sophisticated programmers company, may I just point out (since I'm also a programmer), that 

a ) this is a wrong errormessage (maybe he meant "A-Z only"?)

b ) The thrown error is wrong (since an "ü" is a valid letter)

c ) that guy should really learn that the world is no more 7Bit ASCII; that the world and also Stardocks customers and users aren't Americans only

d ) and that there's no technical reason to block non-american characters.

e ) maybe you could donate him a book like "Regular Expressions for Dummies" so that he can enhance his checking algorythm

f ) and how was I able to enter that "non-letter" character earlier, and why did he added that stupid check later on?

Of course that problem is just a nuisance, but it's holiday season, I have spare time , and from a programmers POV this was just a lousy job done.   Thus I really wonder if I should update my subscription, if those folks don't even get simple things like Umlauts sorted out...  (ok, just joking!)

Have a nice New Year!

Jürgen Wondzinski

Locked Post 54 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 30, 2014 2:41:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

They definitely made some changes at some point. I was updating my account a while back and it wouldn't "take" either due to some similar error. My username was "Leo in WI" which was working fine right up til I changed it in the last couple weeks. Forget what else I was trying to change but it wouldn't stick due to the spaces in that former username I believe. Obviously no spaces in this current username, so I wouldn't run into that same problem again, but now I don't remember what I was originally trying to change

December 30, 2014 2:42:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

This is how to recognize ignorant Americans

Your bigotry is showing.

If your complaint is with a coder, address it to the coder.

How do you know he/she is American, and why would that matter except to your own arrogance?

December 30, 2014 3:01:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

How to NOT get your request implemented:

1) Call the devs stupid, ignorant, lazy

2) Act terribly offended at a very minor inconvenience

3) Threaten to boycott the devs

4) Call your own post a "joke"... maybe

All that's missing is a death threat.

December 30, 2014 4:01:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

This is how to recognize ignorant Americans

No, actually!  There are ignorant and arrogant people from ALL nationalities, including your own [and if the cap fits].  However, to 'essentially' tar an 'entire' nation with the same brush because you have a grievance with just 'one'... well that's the pot calling the kettle black [and yes, the cap fits].

'nuff said'

December 30, 2014 4:50:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Jokes aside, not sure if Cyrillic, Kanji, Tajik (just a view crossing my mind) is/are supported.
Writing the "Ü" is very simple just add an "e" to the "u" ue=ü.
Everything else has been mentioned, i can't speak out as a US citizen but if i were i would be pissed aswell, anyway, no one here is ignorant, WinCustomize is mixed with diverse cultures from all around the globe.
Try to be more forthcoming in the New Year and you will notice things are not so bad. 

PS: A nice good start into the NEW year for you aswell. 

December 30, 2014 5:14:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Stardock Corp and its sites are American and thus the intended/default language is English.

Yes, members, customers, and staff too can be non-American and/or non-English speaking however the requirement is that all interaction is Anglicised where possible.

Curiously, Formula One [and MotoGP] is French, however the official language is English in spite of who might be a participant/champion or most predominant [drivers/teams].

Accepting characters such as your umlaut would in itself be discriminatory/exclusionist unless ALL written characters were allowed and that includes Cyrillic, Arabic, Chinese, ad nauseum.

It's always preferable to NOT single out any particular race or creed as 'ignorant', not unless your wish is to be 'shown the door' ....

December 31, 2014 4:18:19 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'd like to donate a book to YOU......... "How to not be a condescending twat". *sigh.

December 31, 2014 4:57:36 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The OP's basic POV is valid,however,it does happen on small companies which not just USA.,    

Quoting Jafo,

Accepting characters such as your umlaut would in itself be discriminatory/exclusionist unless ALL written characters were allowed and that includes Cyrillic, Arabic, Chinese, ad nauseam.

Unfortunately,this is not valid.  The OP is talking about a Roman/Latin alphabet,not all. I don't think it will be discriminatory on business terms.   

December 31, 2014 5:50:36 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting BoXXi,

I'd like to donate a book to YOU......... "How to not be a condescending twat". *sigh.

Is that available throughout the UK? 

Yeah, there's somebody who now lives there [in Devon] I'd like a copy sent to.

I'd also like to send the ghost of my dear old dad to frighten the crap out of her, but he reckons that he saw more than enough of her when he was alive.

December 31, 2014 6:13:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You can include all "foreign" characters and alphabets fairly easy these days, at least what I heard. Key word here is, as far as I know, Unicode.

December 31, 2014 6:32:56 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Gandhialf,

You can include all "foreign" characters and alphabets fairly easy these days, at least what I heard. Key word here is, as far as I know, Unicode.

You missed the plot. With Roman/Latin alphabets only,it was easier for a company that used the same language system to manage than lost on some gobbledygooks.

December 31, 2014 8:01:06 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

That went well....

the lesson to be learned from this thread, as i found myself in the past, never complain/rage on the internet, as other will either not give a shit or get defensive and lash out on you. Poor and possibly offensive choice of words does not help much either. 

Bottom line, most people dont like complainers and and will generally dismiss them. Nobody needs to have his/her shiny mood broken.

December 31, 2014 8:15:28 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

While people in these Forums enjoy helping others, they neither enjoy being abused, nor seeing an SD employee abused since it is obnoxious and completely unnecessary.

It did not go well for the OP because he was arrogant, antagonizing and abusive. 

People can certainly complain, but should remember that they want someone to help them/change something. That person deserves to be treated civilly and how the requester would want to be treated in a parallel situation. He would have been considerably better served by an email to support or a politely phrased OP giving "Just the facts, Ma'am."

Quoting BoXXi,
"How to not be a condescending twat"

said it well.

December 31, 2014 8:39:37 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

"algorythm"

Perhaps you should find a book called, "Using Spell Check for Dummies."  

If you're going to criticize someone for their ignorance of computer technology, it's probably a good idea to ensure you demonstrate your ability to competently use functions that are taught in computer classes for children.  

December 31, 2014 9:13:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

"Algorythm" is algorithm in Welsh. G0z3R, you obviously don't know Welsh, you ignorant [put your nationality here]. 

I take it back. Google translate eluded me. I still think you are ????????? ??????????????? ??????????????????.

December 31, 2014 10:21:11 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The site is in English, and, the last time I checked there were only 26 letters in the alphabet

December 31, 2014 10:24:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Fuzzy Logic,

The site is in English, and, the last time I checked there were only 26 letters in the alphabet

An alphabet, not "the" alphabet. There are dozens of them you know 

December 31, 2014 10:38:01 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Please learn how to read before you criticise. There is a single sentence which clearly starts with 'English' as a reference to the language being used so thefore the alphabet being spoken of is English.

If you want to be a smart arse at least have the decency to remove your head from there first

December 31, 2014 10:44:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Oh, I'm sorry, I should have suppressed my trollish jokes.

Not being English native speaker does not help here.  But you didn't consider this possibility, did you? Instead you assumed that I can't read (edit: which is true to some degree, as we both can see).

December 31, 2014 11:04:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting starkers,

Is that available throughout the UK? 

Yeah, there's somebody who now lives there [in Devon] I'd like a copy sent to.

to paraphrase our pm. simply don't tweet.

December 31, 2014 11:14:15 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Orright, people, let's not get our knickers in a knot here.  Whether natively English speaking/writing or not, courtesy and good manners do significantly help when dealing with others, who may or may not use English as their 1st language.

The point is, ignorance; arrogance; rudeness and being discourteous does not profit/benefit anyone of any race, colour or creed... and being this thread began with that, and is seemingly devolving into a shitfight to benefit noone, maybe the best thing is to close it,

Oh, and before I depart this thread, I thought I might share with everyone the response I got from a somewhat bigoted Aussie when I asked if he had ever been anywhere overseas: "Nah, fuck that, the place is full of bloody foreigners... and they don't speak Australian"

Note the "they don't speak Australian"?  Funny, that!   I've lived here for 45 years and the native tongue is English... with a few peculiarities native to the Antipodeans who see fit to use 'strine'.  Anyway, some of the posts in this thread reminded me of his response, which was quite serious and intended to offend various persons present.

Anyway.....

December 31, 2014 12:38:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Gandhialf,

"Algorythm" is algorithm in Welsh. G0z3R, you obviously don't know Welsh, you ignorant [put your nationality here]. 

I take it back. Google translate eluded me. I still think you are ????????? ??????????????? ??????????????????.

Damn, I was really excited to see what that translated to, and in which language I was being insulted. I was hoping for something really bad like "obnoxious trolling slore", or "Alex Jones fan" to come out of those pretty characters just for the artistic juxtaposition.  Your reply did make me laugh though. 

December 31, 2014 12:54:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Accepting characters such as your umlaut would in itself be discriminatory/exclusionist unless ALL written characters were allowed and that includes Cyrillic, Arabic, Chinese, ad nauseum.

Well...technically, the umlaut is not a character...it's a diacritical mark..... just to be a little more of a pecker about this whole subject. 

In all seriousness, there is one very good reason to keep people from being able to use umlauts (and other marks designed for similar purposes):  It's to keep all of us stupid American's from abusing the hell out of them for aesthetic purposes.  Would you rather see a bunch of usernames like "SüPerß®øDööd"? I've seen it happen before....it's a bad scene, man.... 

December 31, 2014 2:09:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting G0z3R,

Would you rather see a bunch of usernames like "SüPerß®øDööd"? I've seen it happen before....it's a bad scene, man....

now that's funny, thanks.

December 31, 2014 2:17:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Fuzzy Logic,

Only 26, and yet so many manage to fuck it totally up.

We got 29 over here.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000391   Page Render Time: