The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

More on destroying the world to save it

By on October 19, 2014 7:21:36 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1312

A pet peeve of mine of fantasy strategy games is how weak magic often is.  It makes sense if every side is supposed to be equal. Can’t have 8 players wrecking the land, it would be a pure luck of the draw on who won.

But in Sorcerer King, it just you, the Sorcerer King and the peanut gallery.  The other players are effectively as powerful as they are in other 4X games. But you are incredibly powerful (and so is the Sorcerer King).

The player in Sorcerer King starts out, on turn 1, with the victory condition from Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes.  They’ve already built the Forge of the Overlord. They already have incredible, magical power.  It’s just that the Sorcerer King is even more powerful.

By contrast, the “minor” races are actually quite a bit better than the major races you normally see in 4X.  Their units are impressive. But they can’t, unlike you, destroy cities and mountains with a simple spell.

In this screenshot,  I’m destroying monster lairs through magic.  Now, I don’t recommend this for a variety of reasons (I want their loot).  but the only limitation on this spell is that it requires converting life energy into fire (which means it only works on tiles with grass, trees, etc. and not on already desolate tiles).

And yes, it kills anything in those tiles. So be careful (I destroyed my shard):

This is all expected to be in BETA 2 btw.  If you’ve ever played Populous, you know what to expect.

And lastly, going to keep my cities safe by putting mountains around them.   When I’m ready, I’ll lower the land…

Like such.. The path is clear!

14 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 19, 2014 7:55:00 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Admit it Froggy,

you did not raise those mountains to protect your city, but to prevent your pet spider from running away. But at least in the end you opened the way for him to his playmate; or are you trying to lure that one also in?

October 19, 2014 11:53:38 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Any comparison to Populous sounds awesome, that's the direction I was hoping for.

October 20, 2014 2:39:02 AM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Populous was a fun game back in the day.

October 20, 2014 4:33:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

One thing I don't quite understand, is how do you get to be this awesome all-powerful sorcerer without using a mana cheat?

October 20, 2014 3:58:48 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting hedetet,

One thing I don't quite understand, is how do you get to be this awesome all-powerful sorcerer without using a mana cheat?

Agreed. You may be nearly all-powerful, but you're also a pauper without resources or mana to speak of

October 20, 2014 4:04:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hehehehe, my thoughts exactly - mana is the hard currency in this game and the only way to get it is through shards (so either you have little mana, or you won  

October 20, 2014 4:26:17 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Sounds like I will be doing another LP series on this game a lot faster than I expected!

October 20, 2014 8:53:08 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

I want it so bad. Can you just fast forward the development process?

October 21, 2014 3:21:39 AM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Quoting marlowe221,

Sounds like I will be doing another LP series on this game a lot faster than I expected!

You'll have to rename it "Let's re-play SK".

October 22, 2014 5:14:15 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Frogboy, I see one island in minimap....

Is ships now in Sorcerer King?

October 22, 2014 5:25:50 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Quoting Ericridge,

Frogboy, I see one island in minimap....

Is ships now in Sorcerer King?

There is a summon ship spell. I've never tried to load characters on it but I've explored all over the place with it.

October 22, 2014 6:56:01 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

oh populous was great

October 22, 2014 10:13:28 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Quoting Thormodr,

I've never tried to load characters on it

You can load/unload ship as you might expect.

October 22, 2014 10:29:25 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Quoting mqpiffle,

Quoting Thormodr,

I've never tried to load characters on it

You can load/unload ship as you might expect.

Kind of figured that. Sounds good to me. Arrrr!

Looking forward to the inevitable you start on an island/there are two continents/SK is on an island maps.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000375   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2015 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.