The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Indifference example

By on October 14, 2014 5:45:05 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1316

Simple example of the Dungeon Master punishing me for being a total jerk in the game.

http://screencast.com/t/tYwgUWtpc

http://screencast.com/t/WvqCML5VJD

Locked Post 7 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 14, 2014 5:55:18 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Well, that is a funny example. I guess we are going to die by the Sorcerer King anyway, so why fight him now.

October 14, 2014 5:55:29 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Cool. I see lots of potential with this mechanic.

October 14, 2014 6:01:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

October 14, 2014 6:12:01 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Looks promising!

October 14, 2014 6:41:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm curious, a lot of quests have a 'recruitment' option, which is usually the best safe option. Does that count for indifference? If not, how would the DM react to that?

I would say that the 'natural consequences' of a liberal recruitment policy are infiltration and double crossing events.

October 15, 2014 12:04:23 AM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

I love this idea. JUST ONE PROBLEM: Even indifference should have some positive consequences. If you are encouraging ROLE-PLAYING, then just having a 'right' and 'wrong' answer doesn't reward being your character.

Your sovereign may have reason to be indifferent, even in seemingly dire situations. Would not a zen master sometimes seem uncaring?

I think being brave should have a downside, as well as benefits. If choices have only expected consequences, there is no drama and no reward for playing as your character.

To paraphrase Robert McKee: "Choices under pressure reveal character."

I think benefits and downside to every choice makes them interesting: you get some benefit you might expect, but unintended consequences rear their head. An 'indifferent' sovereign loses morale among the troops, but might also fare better diplomatically with Ceresa.

October 15, 2014 4:02:48 AM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Simple example of the Dungeon Master punishing me for being a total jerk in the game.

There were rumors of cities rebelling when sovereign behaves cowardly. Can we see a proof of that?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2015 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.