The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Anyone seen the new Alienware Area 51 - 2014 case yet ?

By on October 8, 2014 5:03:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

benmanns

Join Date 12/2005
+86

Well i thought this would be a good post since we also had some interesting posts about the can looking like macintosh pro.
So i thought i make a post about the new design of the new alienware PC.
I think the whole shape and form of it looks pretty amazing despite whats build into it.
This thing is seriously looking like alientech   The shape reminds me of Dario Arnaez logo a bit. 

64 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 8, 2014 5:20:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Interesting design, but way too gaudy for my tastes.

October 8, 2014 5:20:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

So we are supposed to have this beauty run WINDOWS 10 That looks like it hasn't been designed at all !!???

-Imagine turning this on and what you get is windows 10 ! 

Edit: @ I.D. Yeah I know my taste is....different

October 8, 2014 5:54:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Oh, goody....512 trillion lighting colours....

Heck that's important!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 8, 2014 6:06:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

No thanks, too gaudy for me too. I'll stick with my Cooler Master case with no lights or see through areas. 

October 8, 2014 6:06:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

All those goodies but.............I wouldn't want to see the price tag on that monster. Besides...its weird.

October 8, 2014 6:33:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Form defines function...

Twee....

October 8, 2014 6:44:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

and also lacks enough storage space for drives (I have atleast 6 hdds and two optos in most of my comps)

harpo the NON-subscriber

October 8, 2014 7:12:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

well the lack of space for drives depends on what you have installed i guess, also on what Motherboard you pick im sure there will be a variety of boards with additional slots so you can install a PCI-e card.
Yeah expansive but  extremely fast (loving PCI-e SSD go test a Supertalent RDII and you know what im talking about hehe) want one for xmas please dear Santa
Personaly i store my stuff on externals,  externals are cheap yet reliable 6years + on my moms computer running 24/7 as storage drive + they dont add extra heat to your system.
But back to the case i like the design and i think its way more interesting than having a mac pro trash can on the desk 
I have a Lian-li case but this design and the overall thought about the airflow seems kinda cool
If i can buy a tower on its own or get my hands on one i might replace my case and im sure you can turn those LEDS off.

to the price i have no idea to be honest but i think it will be cheaper compared to the mac pro can, and will offer way more power for its price but still be expansive because of Dell and Alienware brand.

October 8, 2014 8:50:23 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Looks like you could sit inside it and play a life-sized game of Faster than Light.

October 8, 2014 10:41:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

IMO the case function trumps "looks". I would rather have the old school "beige" case as long as it supports all the state of the art tech (and cooling fans) i can put inside of it.

I never went alienware because i more than likely can build a better system myself far cheaper.

October 8, 2014 11:29:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Major Stress,

IMO the case function trumps "looks". I would rather have the old school "beige" case as long as it supports all the state of the art tech (and cooling fans) i can put inside of it.
I never went alienware because i more than likely can build a better system myself far cheaper.

That's about it.  I'll stick with Lian Li ....where the looks are 'boxy' [it's a box, afterall] but the construction standard is good.  Both my Lian Li cases have 'survived' substantial upgrade/revision, all of which would be impossible with that case....

October 8, 2014 11:30:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

While the inner working are okay, I don't like the shape of the case.  Now I do like cases that have a bit of bling and are somewhat different to the regular tower, which is why I got a Thermaltake Level 10 GT, but this Alienware thing simply doesn't do it for me, shape-wise.  However, some may like it and end up purchasing it... which is why it's different horses for different courses... though I don't fancy one for the main course, myself

Okay, so I could shove it in the tower pigeonhole in my desk and not see the shape.... but I'd know it was there... and it would irk me.  I mean, why buy big for a flash looking case just to hide it away?  I do like the idea of the screw-less side panel removal, but for me that feature is not enough to make this case a must-have.

Nope, I think I'll be sticking with my Level 10 GT for quite some time to come.  Beside liking it quite alot anyhow, my current homeless status means I don't have any spare spondula because I'm saving like all fech to set myself up in new accommodation, which with bonds and market value rents, etc, just ain't cheap these days. 

October 9, 2014 1:29:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My radiators wouldn't fit inside of that. A tower you can easily fit a 420 and a 280 front/top. The bend on the front slots makes it look like you couldn't even fit a single 280 in there. And yet it takes up the same floorspace as a tower would.

In fact, there are only 4 140mm fan locations, none of which blow directly into the gpus. How the hell are you going to run 3 strong cards without watercooling and such limited air supply? They're using 2 of the 140mm slots just to cool the cpu, and that's with a closed loop... Wtf.

October 9, 2014 4:43:20 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Oh... Cute case and brilliant design. I'd love to get my hands on a case like that!

As for the interior hardware.... After haveing watched the video I had only one thought/question:

3 massive GFX cards. An huge 8 core CPU and enough RAM to create a stable wormhole....

Who the hell -needs- to overclock a powerplant like that?!?

October 9, 2014 5:42:00 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Looks better than older iterations i guess. Cant really say its ugly, but if you look at computer case as at piece of furniture, i wonder if this is something you would want to see in your room. It would be brilliant sci-fi-eish contraption from some sci-fi show or some kind of spaceship or whatever else, even building maybe...but computer case? I guess i would rather stick to something more plain like those boxy Antec, LianLi, FD designs. Or the new bullet shaped Apple machine - not that i would want Mac, but talking pure aesthetics, its a thing of beauty. 

October 9, 2014 6:03:34 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,

My radiators wouldn't fit inside of that. A tower you can easily fit a 420 and a 280 front/top. The bend on the front slots makes it look like you couldn't even fit a single 280 in there. And yet it takes up the same floorspace as a tower would.

In fact, there are only 4 140mm fan locations, none of which blow directly into the gpus. How the hell are you going to run 3 strong cards without watercooling and such limited air supply? They're using 2 of the 140mm slots just to cool the cpu, and that's with a closed loop... Wtf.

Yeah, that's another worry about that case... inadequate/sub-par cooling.  That's why I don't like the shape, because it reduces cooling options, like a couple of decent sized top fans; front HDD fans..... and side fans unless you cannibalise the sleek finish.  So while the CPU may be adequately cooled, I'd be worried about the 3 GPUs for a start.

October 9, 2014 6:44:55 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Snowman,

Oh... Cute case and brilliant design. I'd love to get my hands on a case like that!
Oh, someone else except me likes it

October 9, 2014 7:04:45 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Timmaigh,

Or the new bullet shaped Apple machine - not that i would want Mac, but talking pure aesthetics, its a thing of beauty.

Yup, the new Mac Pro surely is a thing of beauty, and quite powerful, too, but OS-X isn't the only OS you can run on it.  An old friend of mine runs the latest MAC OS, Mavericks, and Windows 8 on his... but that could just as easily be Win 7 or MS; latest, Windows 10.

Now I'm not fond of Apple products and would never touch an iPhone, iPad or iPod, but I'd certainly love a Mac Pro on my desk.  Thing is, it'd cost me close to AU$4000 for the lower-end model, and near AU$6000 for the top-end one, so one isn't on my horizon any time soon.

October 9, 2014 7:06:34 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I said its weird and everyone knows I like weird but still...for gamers its pretty cool but to do graphics...way too too much for this person.

October 9, 2014 7:32:53 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I love it!!!

October 9, 2014 9:40:32 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting neone6,

I'm confused since 10 is almost out...

October 9, 2014 10:33:50 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting kona0197,

Quoting neone6,

Given the stated hardware, I imagine Win 10 would run exceedingly well on that machine... providing it didn't overheat.

Another aspect that would dissuade me from purchasing it is the lack of internal expansion space for SSDs/HDDs... and what about PCIE expansion cards, such as soundcards; TV tuner cards; SATA/USB expansion cards, etc?  While the case seems spacious, to me it seems the odd shape and orientation of the mobo would limit the ability to add non-standard components.

Nah, I like to plan which component I'd ike to use and select an appropriate case to house them... which given the summer heathere in SE Queensland is usually something with great ventilation and fan support.

October 9, 2014 11:22:36 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting kona0197,

Quoting neone6,

What I mean is it loks like Techno bling 3000 and you would excpect something similar from the interface turning a beast like that on.... 

October 9, 2014 11:23:48 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting BoXXi,

I love it!!!
We think alike for once

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time: