The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

pacov's League of Legends general discussion thread - strategies, etc #3

By on June 6, 2014 4:53:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

pacov

Join Date 02/2008
+182

Update 5/5/2016 -Stream is back!

Well, I started a thread back in Dec 2011 that’s seen a lot of activity (some 922,000 views over the course of a few years apparently...).  That thread had a good deal of tips/strategies/discussions about League of Legends from new and old players alike.  You can find the previous thread (now archived) here:  http://forums.joeuser.com/413863.  I think its time to start fresh with a new thread.

What’s this thread all about?
For those that followed the previous thread, the type of content you see here will be fairly consistent to what you are used to.  Please consider this a place to discuss LoL related content as you like.  I'll do the same and treat the thread as a blog as well where I talk about what’s going on with me in LoL.  Feel free to jump in and join the discussion if you like.

Quick background on me
I played a lot of Demigod as pacov/cheesuscrust. Back in August 2011, I started getting heavily involved in League of Legends, and folks from the community were kind enough to help me figure things out.  I play LoL most nights, stream, make videos and it’s my main gaming interest.

Some links 

2920 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 10, 2014 1:44:05 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

So, continued discussion re: my thoughts on earning your rank/elo - with a focus on duo queuing. 

my entire ranked history in a paragraph

Duo'd up to gold in season 2 - I played about 10 games with brad wong.  We hit gold in 10 games.  I played 3-5 more games all season.  That's about it.  Season 3 - I tank my placement matches carelessly and end up bronze 1.  Season 3 - I duo here and there, but primarily play solo queue and hit plat IV.  Season 4 - I go 5/5 in my placements, get kicked down to silver 1 from plat IV.  Disgusted, I take a break and now and am back fairly actively climbing in rank (gold 5 promos to gold IV or gold III atm).

Season 2

So, that duo queue in season 2 I mentioned - that was absolute crap in my mind.  It did little more than get me and my bud some some season rewards.  I worked well enough to hit gold in 10 games with my duo queue and I vaguely recollect like 1-2 difficult games in all of my ranked games that season.  I personally think less of myself and also of others that duo queue their way up in rank.  I'm not even remotely proud of my gold standing in season 2 because I really don't feel like I worked for it or earned it. Getting a reward after so little work was a joke in my mind.

I have 2 thoughts here:  1 - I don't think much of folks being proud of their duo queue rank in general (I'm sure there are some exceptions, ofc) and 2 - I am in no way impressed by people playing a few games and getting a high rating.  I believe its how you do consistently that shows the caliber of you as a player - not that you could play some games, place in gold, then over time be revealed to be smeh.  I respect players that work to get their elo and put their time in. 

Season 3

That said, season 3 - I feel like I earned plat IV. I'm confident I could have gone higher than that, but I lost a bit of steam when I hit my goal of plat and only started to get back into things near the end of the season.  To be fair, I'm not really sure how far I could have gotten, but more than plat IV I'd say. 

Anyway, season 3 felt like a huge accomplishment because I didn't get as far as I did by duo queuing (eg I earned what I got).  Sure, I played a duo queue game here and there, but they were few and far between my solo games.  And I wanted it that way - not because the people I could queue with would hold me back, ofc, but because it meant more to do it myself because, again, I feel like its more of an accomplishment. 

Season 4

Man - f ranked placements matches.  I end season 3 at plat IV.  I play my placements matches - 3 of those games are losses due to afk dc'd people.  1 loss due to an outright troll intentionally feeding.  So, I go 5/5 (with 4 games that can't be won really) and place in silver 1.  Kind of disgusting imo.  And that disgust kept me from playing much ranked for a bit.  That said, eventually I snapped out of it and got back to work.  I feel like I'm good enough to hit plat again without issue.  I continued to find the hardest elo to be at as silver for whatever reason.  In season 3, it was a pain to go from silver to gold and relatively easy to go from gold to plat for me.  We'll see if that trend continues.  Currently, I don't really care with regards to myself if I duo or solo because I kind of think this elo is a bit of a joke and I don't really encounter that many highly skilled people.  I will probably stop duoing after a bit and will likely try to climb solo when I hit plat again.  Kind of a personal challenge for me. 

other jibba jabba

Regarding why I found silver to be the most difficult - I think karl actually had some pretty good insight regarding this and it plays out.  You can't do some things in silver that you can at other elos.  For instance, back prior to the feral flare nerf, udyr was a nightmare if he was able to farm up a feral flare to the 11 min marker (he's still ok after the nerf, but nowhere near as good).  Now, if you do this sort of thing, you are really counting on your teammates to hold off and keep their lanes in ok shape with no jungle support for about 7 extra minutes (compared to when you'd normally start getting ganks). It's actually really unreasonable to assume your team can do that going into a game as there are really, really good odds the other team will have the jungler ganking lanes during that time.  Anyway, at lower elo's, you are better off going with the meta in my experience.  Even a split pushing, heavy ganking shaco can be a problem because the team generally needs a strong initiator so they clearly know when a fight is on.  At higher elos, you see to need less of that and individual players can shine more. 

June 11, 2014 12:22:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

fast recap

1 ranked game - duo'd w/ my bud bark.  1 win.  I'm 1/0 in my promo series to gold III or gold IV.  Hopefully will finish that out tomorrow... I THINK I may have made a contest re: that.  Gl finding that in the old thread if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Got to play some awful games with karls at least.    Good to catch up with you at any rate. 

Night all!

June 11, 2014 1:17:03 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Worth looking at to get the idea - item changes on pbe:  http://imgur.com/Vl9c0QJ

June 12, 2014 9:48:43 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Well, we got to put in some reps with the ranked 5's team yesterday.  I got in 3 games anyway - 2 wins 1 loss. 

re: that discussion/difference of opinion bryff was having with karl/cow re: teleport.  Let me share some thoughts from my experience and more specifically my other ranked team's top laner.  My team's top laner always wants to run ignite and I typically want him to run TP.  I eventually decided it was best to run with what my top laner wanted to do regardless of the benefits of running TP. 

It's my experience that ignite is much more useful for winning a lane than tp.  The added dmg results in greater kill potential during solo laning.   

As TP stands now, I agree its better, IN GENERAL, for the top laner to have it for the same reasons you all would likely agree with (split pushing potential, etc).  But, let's say I kill the enemy top laner that is running tp by using ignite.  He decides to tp back to lane.  This means he is not able to use his tp at that point to go in for a gank, tp to drag if needed, etc.  Ignite can neutralize that tp early/mid. 

Anyway, I'd always like the team to have TP on a top laner at the end of the game.  I also would prefer to have my top laner win and destroy his lane, which unless you are playing some no aggressive top laner that just wants to farm, ignite is always better on early/mid.  I just decide to leave that decision to my top laner all said and done and factor whatever spell he has into our team strategy with how we play mid/late. 

June 12, 2014 12:55:57 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Anyone else in our little crew actively putting time into solo/duo queue ranked?  Curious pacov

June 12, 2014 3:37:13 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting pacov,
It's my experience that ignite is much more useful for winning a lane than tp.  The added dmg results in greater kill potential during solo laning.   

Not really.  Remember that winning a lane is not that same as killing.  Getting towers and CS are also a big deal, and TP is a massive deal is both of those.

If you want to play aggressively, you can push your opponent under tower, back, shop, TP, then be back in lane while losing minimal CS and be up an entire item.  That more than makes up for the ignite in lane.  This is what a lot of high level tops do.  They just constantly pressure the top tower, get an item advantage, and if the opponent ever backs to shop, its free tower.  There is never an opportunity to use the ignite since the person is always playing at a disadvantage due to the item disadvantage.

If the jungler gets involved to hold things, then the map is open for free dragon type plays (especially since a TP can be used to help secure that...).

If you want to play defensively, its also very simple.  Just sit under your tower, play safe, and you get cheap shops with TP.  You can't do those shops if you don't take TP or you lose towers.

But anyway, the larger point is that TP can very easily be used to get a substantial early item advantage with extra shops, which negates any advantage that ignite gives.  The only real way of playing around this if you take ignite is to play extremely aggressive top lanes to prevent the top from pushing you under towers.  As I said last night, if you have enough early aggression from top and push hard and try and kill hard, ignite is not unreasonable.  But that wasn't relevant to the conversation since that is not how Bryff plays.  I like his Irelia, but he isn't going to be pushing a Renekton hard early.

And not to be unkind to your MadCast team's top, but I don't really factor in his opinion that much.  He is by far the weakest player and your team (IMO) and I question his decision making.

June 12, 2014 4:22:12 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Personally, I think you are over simplifying things way too much.  That said, I'll put this question out before anything else - someone mentioned that TP is being targeted for a nerf soon.  If so, what is the nerf?  I don't remember reading about this.

Anyway, I'm fine with simplifying the discussion by saying that its generally better in a team setting (premade) to run TP for all the reasons you and I can likely think of.  In solo queue, I can think of plenty of reasons to take ignite on various champs in top lane over tp.  BUT - in an optimal setting (best players/best team), TP is obviously a more efficient and useful spell. 

In the example of the top in my premade, I don't think he uses tp optimally and has trouble adjusting to not having ignite in his kit. 

June 12, 2014 4:39:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Knocking 40 seconds off the CD reduction from going to a turret.

June 12, 2014 5:31:01 PM from PoliticalMachine Forums PoliticalMachine Forums

Just checking in!  Still without internet for most of the month!  Hope all is well for everybody!

June 12, 2014 5:56:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Come back soon, swan!

In other news, rise of nations was released today... sooo... cya nerds isn't the right thing to say here... but... cya nerds... for a bit

June 12, 2014 8:04:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

#TP:

Your top laner was also playing Renekton. Renekton is one of those champs who actually does makes sense to take ignite because that's the only way he is going to be able to do his job. Even then, there are games where higher Elo players will take TP.

(also Bryff takes like pure scaling runes and so it makes zero sense for him to take ignite zzz).

And even in high kill-potential lanes, people are taking TP. TP is partially the reason stuff like Kass top works.

But yeah, Ignite "can" help you win a lane and snowball it. TP "always" allows you to draw a lane and farm it out.

June 12, 2014 9:37:29 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I agree with Hedgie and Karl.  I've had a couple of recent Ignite VS TP matchups and been on both sides of it and am leaning more and more to TP... at least until it's nerfed. Then we'll have to see.

Just too many instances where you use up the ignite and almost get the kill... so they TP back at full health/mana and the advantage is theirs.  Even worse is when you get a gank, use ignite to get the kill and then say in all chat:  "That's right bitch!  Real men take ignite."  And then they TP right back into lane and farm all the creeps that they used to miss out on when top laners took ignite.  So even if the ignite "gamble" works out, you dont' gain nearly as much as you used to which is probably why high solo queue players have been taking TP even on champs like Riven.

June 13, 2014 12:11:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

summary of the night.

1 ranked game - was gold V.  promoted to gold III.  So, I'm pretty happy about that. Any skipping means less work and less time i have to put into getting back to plat.  So - good news for me there.

Played some norms with karl.  Had fun with that at any rate.

Played 1 more ranked game - this time solo queue.  Annoyed with my support, but I did my job and we won the game without too much effort (would have been a ton easier with a normal support imo (the twitch adc on the other team was crap).  Got 27 lp for the win.  I'm not super expecting to get bumped from gold III to gold I, but we'll see.  If I go on a streak, its probable I'd think.  I'm on a 70-80% win rate setup my last 10 ranked games at any rate.

Anyway, hopefully we'll get into more ranked 5's soon.  Was nice when everything magically aligned yesterday and we had 5 of us on at the same time. 

June 13, 2014 9:10:26 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Also - rise of nations, while I'm having fun with it, is pretty buggy.  One game the icons indicating what you can build (house, library, etc) were all not present (just gray boxes)... and there are more than a few options so that was... special. Another time I was running full screen and needed to alt tab... when I swapped back, the video was on the other monitor (dual monitor extended setup), the main monitor was black... and moving my mouse on the blank screen controlled things.  Was... special.  Anyway, barring the bugs (all resolved by just restarting the game incidentally), its a fun old game.  Hopefully that stuff will be patched before too long.  Bad sign when I've played for like 2 hours total... if even... and encountered even 2 very noticeable bugs. 

June 13, 2014 5:01:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

VOD of the exhibition match from today on the updated SR

June 14, 2014 9:01:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Was going through a thread on reddit today that explained some masteries that you might not fully understand.  Worth a read imo. Going to list 1 and link the article:  http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/284hxm/some_mastery_tips_you_may_not_know/

Oppression: Reduces damage taken from enemies with impaired movement or reduced attack speed by 3%.

Reducing attack speed will proc this as well. Just having a frozen heart will essentially give you a permanent 3% reduced damage (excluding poke battles).

So, if you are getting a frozen heart on any build, I'd think this is a very valuable item. 

Oh - and one I knew  - inspiration in the utility tree is pretty much very worth it.  Just... not good and should be removed... kind of like runic blessing. 

June 14, 2014 10:51:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oppression is extremely crazy powerful. It's one of the most underrated mastery points in the game.

For a single point, you basically gain 3 un-pentratable Armor and MR + another 3 Arm/MR for every 100 Arm/MR you have. In addition, it's a massive mitigation when it comes to jungling (because of Red buff and the fact many junglers have spammable AoE slows in their kit).

Technically, it's slightly better than the 3% flat HP gained, espiecially once you factor in the plentiful sources of % hp damage. But, 3% hp is always "on" and also blocks true damage. So, it's a better 9th point. But Oppression is the best 10th point in the mastery tree until you get to the 2nd to last tier.

June 15, 2014 3:52:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Good feedback -thx!

Off to bed.

So, fast recap.  Busy most of the day, late start.  Played 2 ranked games.  Game 1 was stupid.  We won against some guy that had his support dc'd for about 20 minutes.  While I feel bad for that sort of thing, I'm not willing to throw a game to help someone out that has a dc on their team (just as good odds I'll have that crap on my team).  So, we zoned and then pushed down tower after a bit.  Easy win, but ofc, you'd hope that would be the case with a 4v5.  So, nothing special here, but I did a decent job with my mechanics anyway.

Game 2 - I'm duo'd.  I have 2nd pick.  Some other guy requests adc.  At first, I'm going to tell him I'm taking it.  Then I see his stats.  He's putting up similar stuff to me for KDA in ranked... but he appears to really only be ok with lucian (didn't notice that at the time).  So, Braums open and I decide to support for him.  The other team picks up lucian.  He gets corki and is crap with him.  I do a good job and go 3/3/20 with braum.  He does.. less good.  Both my jungler and my adc were kind of awful players.  The jungler complains when he makes mistakes (blaming on others).  My adc doesn't complain, but literally does 2 tower dives... pointless tower dives during laning and dies... my jungler also does 1.  Anyway, the enemy team was nothing special, but my team was a barrel of monkeys. 

We have a slight problem now as well.  My duo queue buddy is now quite a bit below me in elo.  I'm gold III, he's gold IV.  My mmr is quite a bit higher.  He's bringing down the quality of player we get atm.  If you think about that, that might sound like a good thing.  But it seems difficult to have both of us get carry roles.  If he's not able to carry with me, I'd rather have folks at the same elo as me (as the odds go up, imo, of having better players on my team). 

Oh - funny story.  Loss prevention on that loss due to the major server issues.  My team definitely deserved the loss.  I made 1 error during the game that was bad at the end, though. 

Anyway, I went off to team builder after that and played graggy as support (been wanting to give that a go for a bit).  Let's just say that boozed up pacov should.... not do that.  Went 1/1 in team builder.  I did have 1 great play (in both of those games) that got us 2 towers and an inhib... and  then about 20 other wtf plays.  I had fun, but I was really, really bad.  Pretty sure I can come up with a way to actually make that work as a support, but I'd need to get quite a few reps in.  Still, graggy as a support can bring a lot to the team - if you hit your ult properly.  Might be worth it for that. 

June 16, 2014 9:28:44 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Got into 2 solo queue ranked games last night.  Game 1 I had to fill and went jungle... which would have been a bit more fine if every lane wasn't getting wrecked.  I got a bit flustered when the team started pinging for help in all lanes at the same time early... anyway, definitely not my best game and certainly not much fun.  Loss there.  Played a second game as lucian and won pretty easily.  My mechanics were way off for last hitting, sadly, but not so much that it cost us laning.  My team was a little bit hurr durr, but I managed to get the team to close out the game when we should.  

I really enjoyed that game. We had this crazy miracle moment at one point as well.  My team (including me a bit) makes a mistake and decides to steal the enemy blue buff instead of taking an uncontested dragon (either blue or dragon were going to be free, not both).  Anyway, we have to break off dragon and the enemy team gets it after a wee bit (most of us were low from the previous push/team battle).  Anyway, on the previous push, we got the enemy team's inhib tower down mid.  Only wukong and I are alive or in the area (folks were either dumb or dead).  I immediately decide to push down mid while I know the enemy team is at baron.  I assume baron will be a lost cause and I'm 100% confident I have enough time to get their inhib.  Well, wukong goes for baron and dances a bit with the enemy team right about the time that the enemy team sees me wailing on their base... which splits their attention.  Wu gets a beast smite off and steals baron.  I get the inhib.  Could not have gone better. 

I think I made the right call there, though it might be a smidge questionable.  My thought was - I can get an inhib for sure.  Baron = slim chances that 2 of us can stop a baron and that one or both of us might get picked off if we try to defend/steal.... which will very likely result in the enemy team hard pushing a lane and getting towers, etc.  If I take an inhib and leave safely (I knew I'd have plenty of time to get out after clearing the inhib based on their estimated dmg output on baron), they will have to send at least 1 to base to deal with me even if they get baron... which ends any immediate push on their side and buys us time/saves other objectives most likely.  Anyway, I'm fairly pleased with my decision making in game for the most part and how I did in team fights.... at least in that one game.  I'm about 64 LP in gold III atm.

June 16, 2014 3:13:27 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well, I had the very exciting chat problem all of yesterday where I couldn't get the chat system to work.  It was working for most people, but was broken for a substantial number of people, including me.  Very fun.

June 16, 2014 3:51:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I have some issues with disconnect problems due to a quirk in IP Helper that Riot doesn't seem to be able to figure out(I suspect it's my ISP that causes the actual problem), you should see if turning it off solves your issue.  It's listed as IP Helper in Services, and sports a wide variety of connection issues for only some people and some only some of the time.

June 16, 2014 8:32:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hey - pm me or just post your twitch name if you'd like added to the nightbot whitelist. 

June 16, 2014 10:22:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Got to play two games of twisted treeline with pacov. One ranked and one unranked. We lost both games but I was pretty happy with our play. Unranked is blind pick and pacov's tryn was hard countered with a lulu/malphite/vi team comp. The ranked game was against an all bruiser team of lee sin, riven and pantheon. I had picked brand early in champ select and against that team comp hes a bad choice. We had a shot to win it mostly because Pacov played well on WK but there team full of snowballers was to much. A few team fights we lost by a few seconds because of ult cooldowns on our team that cost us the game. If I could of got going I outscale there entire team hard but I never did. 

June 17, 2014 2:35:45 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I'm slowly whitelisting folks as I see them and get a chance for the bot. 

yeah... there's a bunch of stuff to learn about that map and I know very little as far as the best things to do, when to push lane, etc.  Also, no draft mode outside of ranked is pretty lame. I'm willing to continuing learning and such -still not super into the map, though.

ranked recap - well - played 1 ranked game where I got to adc.  A 2nd ranked game where I was forced to play top lane due to a duo queue and someone else taking jungle.  I went garen due to a nasus showing and they just sent him tot he jungle and put a jayce against me.  I trolled quite a bit that game, so BM for me (1 earned win and 1 earned loss). 

Anyway, I'm 1 win away from hitting another promo series.  I THINK I've got decent potential to get bumped up to told I if I win my next 3 games.  Guess I'll have to wait and see. 

June 17, 2014 8:34:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

New heimerdonger skin on pbe - looks pretty good imo.  Also, for those that care - apparently there are lots of new files for "nightmare" bots.

http://www.surrenderat20.net/2014/06/617-pbe-update.html

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000454   Page Render Time: