The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Elemental Status: March 2014

By on March 4, 2014 4:08:09 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

Lots of cool stuff going on around here.

Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes 1.6 is due out in April and there will be a new DLC released shortly after that.  It involves spouses. That’s all I’ll say.

Legendary Heroes 2.0

Also, as some of you may have heard, Legendary Heroes 2.0 has been approved and budgeted. This will be a free update of some significance.  I don’t have a due date for it yet but it does have some interesting changes in it including ZOC for monster lairs and possibly some changes with regards to the way champion inventory is handled. 

Other things on our “want” list for Legendary Heroes 2.0 include:

• Updated diplomacy options to help build longer term relations
  • More performance boosts (we’re working on redoing the way trees are handled)
  • Some tweaks to the way magic is done
  • More effective alliance handling (this is something we really want to see)
  • Some changes to the way the Spell of Making is handled

That’s just a bit of it.

Obviously, this all boils down to having enough revenue to pay for it.  The numbers for LH are quite promising.  In January, about half of LH’s revenue came from the DLC. So that’s a good sign.

Next DLC

Like I mentioned, we have new DLC coming out next month. It’s already in QA.  Kael has gone pretty crazy with it.  Anyone from the Civ IV world knows the crazy stuff Kael can do so I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised. But it’s pretty neat.

But AFTER that one I have two questions I’d like to get your views on:

1. How OFTEN do you want to see new DLC?  (Monthly, Quarterly, Every couple months, etc.)

2. What would you like to see our NEXT DLC be?

a. Stamps pack (for more random map generation interest)

b. More tactical battles maps

c. More magical spells

d. New factions

e. More loot

f. More quests

g. Something else (if it involves writing c++ code, it’s not DLC so has to be content that is downloadable).

Other sneak peeks…

Troll

image image image

Stay tuned!

201 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 4, 2014 4:23:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd like to see sieges and dynasties. After that, I'd like to see a DLC with neutral villages or "city states" like Civ5. After that, more global strategic level 5 spells. After that, crafting. After that multiplayer.

Thumbs down for more "content", thumbs up for more "mechanics".

Oh yeah, Steam Workshop plix?

March 4, 2014 4:42:44 PM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

The problem being, if it requires c++ it's not DLC, it's an expansion pack and those require a very different set of people.

March 4, 2014 4:57:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

1. At least quarterly.

2. I really, really liked the quest DLC. Even more would be great. Quests, events and new monsters would be my choice. Spells come right after those. I guess that would be f and g then

March 4, 2014 4:59:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,

It involves spouses. That’s all I’ll say.

woot!

Re #1: seasonally

Re #2: spells, stamps

March 4, 2014 4:59:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

1. How OFTEN do you want to see new DLC? (Monthly, Quarterly, Every couple months, etc.)

c. More magical spells

d. New factions

e. More loot

f. More quests

g. Something else (if it involves writing c++ code, it’s not DLC so has to be content that is downloadable).

1. Quarterly seems about right.

2. Honestly, everything but choice d for the next 2 or 3 DLC would be great. I would also like to petition for 'more resources' to be an opportunity to be explored.

March 4, 2014 4:59:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I would like to see some type of combination of a-g in each DLC.  Obviously fewer of each item, but I think could be more fun and appeal to a greater number of people if they got a little of each.

For example (please be aware that these names are very generic):

The Ice Pack:

Comes with a new faction that receives some type of bonus for building on ice tiles or can only build on ice (if this is possible from the engine)

1-2 new ice monsters

A few new spells (e.g. turn a tile into ice)

Some loot that goes along with this theme as well as a few new quests.

March 4, 2014 5:07:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I also think quarterly updates would be good. obviously we would all like as often as possible, but I think the best way to go is periodic meaningful updates. I think monthly would end up looking like updates were being churned out to make a quick buck, even if that wasn't the case.

March 4, 2014 5:46:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I will gladly pay for new factions. Release as often as you like.

March 4, 2014 6:01:03 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

The problem being, if it requires c++ it's not DLC, it's an expansion pack and those require a very different set of people.

Um...

I'm not able to fully parse that one out. Most I've ever done was make pages from scratch in geocities (anyone even remember those?). Does the above mean only changes within the existing framework? For example, things that could be made from inside the workshop already?

March 4, 2014 6:24:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quarterly releases on DLC, assuming that the DLC has been put through the wringer before release.

I would like to see Terrain matter more in the Tactical map.  Line of Sight having importance would be nice (thinking Final Fantasy Tactics).  Having a river run through the middle of a map passable by a bridge might be doable without c++ intervention.

March 4, 2014 6:39:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

All the DLC released so far could have been made by modders, well modders that could also create super high end art anyway. Although I don't see how spouses could possibly be added this way.

I'm looking forward more to 2.0 then any DLC. None of those options really excite me. Maybe stamps but only if there was something new about these stamps. Maps are random enough.

Other things on our “want” list for Legendary Heroes 2.0 include:

Updated diplomacy options to help build longer term relations
More performance boosts (we’re working on redoing the way trees are handled)
Some tweaks to the way magic is done
More effective alliance handling (this is something we really want to see)
Some changes to the way the Spell of Making is handled

All these sound good. Earlier and more nuanced alliances sound great. Especially if the AI forms them intelligently to handle powerful factions and can work together. Awhile ago I wrote a bit about the victory conditions in Elemental and how I thought they should be changed to make them more unique and fun.

March 4, 2014 8:38:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

First: really excited, can't wait, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Second: DLC Frequency? yes, quarterly probably does seem right.  

Third: New DLC: There might be a way to put in some siege stuff without code, like new siege weapons (e.g. Roman-style ballista that has the crossbow's ability but more powerful and longer range), and defensive measures like boiling oil that you can build into cities (AoE spell that does damage over time with fire effect).  Would laying down traps that damage units on a particular tile be do-able?  Siege towers that give attackers initiative bonuses (like the fortifications do)?

Else, I would like more factions if they came with new faction strengths and blood types that we can use in faction creation.

Fourth: those new art assets look amazing.  Are they all for FE/LH?  That ogre is amazing but very different from normal FE style.  Archer guy looks awesome.  OMG, are those dwarves?  

March 4, 2014 8:48:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Uhm - if the quality of the DLC wont suffer, then yes - MONTHLY.

New DLC?

I definitely believe we are very lacking at items. I think the best way to look at this is the following:

(High Level, Mid Level, Low Level) X (Class, item subtype)

You have lets say 4 "Classes": The dual wielder rogue, the sword and shield (two types), the 2 hander, the hybrid/cleric/druid/whathaveyoutype, the wizard type. The item subtypes would be like hammer/axe/sword/spear/staff for weapons. Shields/Plate/Chain/Leather for armor types (magical ofcourse). Then add countless trinkets. You find out that that to have a decent and full complement, you need lets say 3 choices for each of the above subtypes.  You're basically looking at a few hundred items. We're nowhere near that and it is evident in the gameplay:

My wizards are almost always using the starting staff with the bonus spell damage. I think there exists only 1 staff that is a random quest reward that is better.My warriors 90% of the time end up with the same weapon at mid/high level. Either that same Orange sword (not the -100% xp one) or that same axe or that same hammer.Same for archers.

There is middle steps - it is pretty much the basic weapon I can buy from a shop, update once with magic item and in less than 20% of the games, update finally with an uber item.

So my DLC list in order of preference?

e. More loot

c. More magical spells (remove spells from quests as random reward, make Manablast available once you get level 5 in 2 schools of casting for example. Add more relevant single target tactical damage spells so it's not just flame-dart+filler every other turn)

March 4, 2014 8:58:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quarterly DLC's would be great if it can be done without compromising quality.

I would be happy with any and all of the DLC ideas listed, but my top ones are:

more spells

more loot

tactical battle maps

and while it wasn't included as an option: more monsters

March 4, 2014 8:59:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've thought of a relatively "cheap" but interesting way to have meaningful siege units.

Specifically, units that do 2X damage when attacking a city.  It would be easy to do and result in a new line of thinking of units (units that are useful in different circumstances).

March 4, 2014 9:01:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

I've thought of a relatively "cheap" but interesting way to have meaningful siege units.

Specifically, units that do 2X damage when attacking a city.  It would be easy to do and result in a new line of thinking of units (units that are useful in different circumstances).

Sappers, nice.

March 4, 2014 9:19:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Actually now that I have thought about it some what I would like to see is a Stamp and Wildland DLC. Maybe throw in some more early game easier wildlands such as a undead graveyard, spider lair, Brood hive, or something else. Also more special stamps lie that life shard one or other unique locations.

Quoting Frogboy,
ught of a relatively "cheap" but interesting way to have meaningful siege units.

Specifically, units that do 2X damage when attacking a city. It would be easy to do and result in a new line of thinking of units (units that are useful in different circumstances).

That's a nice idea. Would they be special units like ballista and catapults or a new designable unit trait? Catapults definitely are underused and unappreciated. A buff when attacking cities and maybe an earlier tech version would be cool. Or maybe even instead of a direct damage buff, which can be boring, you could use the charge/impulse xml to make it so they get a few free attacks at the start of combat when attacking a city.

March 4, 2014 9:55:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quarterly, would be good.

What I would like to see is Maps / Fraction packs: IE, a Toikien style map with Dwarves, Elves, Hobbits, Orcs and Goblins etc. A Game of Thrones map, a Wheel of Time map. Now, I know there are IP rights to those books, but something that was designed along those lines would be very cool indeed.

More quest packs, more Legendary item packs, maybe more basic items for the start of the game. 

Tactical maps where the terrain plays a bigger part in the battle (buildings/Walls that block archery), trenches that slow movement, choke points (bridge battle? valley defense). hills that give height advantage or at least slow movement when attacking up slope. 

Special units that have the ability to create seige units from forests so you don't have to drag them around.

Just off the top of my head. 

March 4, 2014 11:17:21 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

First of all, Frogboy,  thank you for the news on LH updates.   The upcoming DLC and 2.0 sound great.

Future DLC desires?

A.  More loot.  In particular armor sets to be collected and very rare, but powerful weapons.   I would prefer some of the latter without the big negatives that some of the existing ones have (negative 100% experience being an example of a big negative).   It would be great if the loot were generated randomly (" Fire sword of life stealing", etc) but I realize this May not work with your current programming.

B. More quests.

C. More factions.

D. More Monster types.

As for changes outside the DLCs:

A.  Experience and loot more appropriate to the difficulty of the monster killed or quest accomplished.

Thanks for keeping this great game growing.

March 5, 2014 12:07:45 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Answers to the questions in the post

DLC frequency- quarterly.  Monthly DLC may not be substantial enough, longer DLC doesn't come out frequently enough

DLC preference- I like all of those, but if I had to prioritize:

d/c/a/e/b/f

If you're doing quarterly DLC- price-wise, for the $5 price you'd like for DLC- I'd expect 2 of these to be included in the price.

To be honest, I was a bit disappointed in the Dead DLC- because the faction was unplayable by the AI, and yet had some new stuff so it wasn't really "skippable"

But I truly thing at this point, the game needs all of those- having more goodies in general means a higher amount of randomization from game-to-game, which is what a long-term game needs.

The one thing I want to see added to the base game is the hero changes from your upcoming game, where each hero has their own tree.

March 5, 2014 12:27:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I personally don't like the DLC system, but that's only me.

What I am really interested at after seeing the post: Frogboy, could you elaborate about the reasons a DLC with c++ coding is viewed as an expansion pack? Is it a Stardock decision to view this way, or a general market view?

March 5, 2014 12:29:17 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,

But AFTER that one I have two questions I’d like to get your views on:
1. How OFTEN do you want to see new DLC?  (Monthly, Quarterly, Every couple months, etc.)
c. More magical spells
d. New factions
e. More loot
f. More quests

1. Quaterly, or even less, better to have large meaty DLC rather than smaller more frequent updates.

2. Dynasties, WITH the ability to marry another factions sovereign if they are still single at the time you meet the requirments for marriage.

If I had to pick soley from your list, more quests and loot, along with new factions, but I would prefer dynasties above those.

March 5, 2014 3:15:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

are those full-blown DWARVES? cause those aren't Ironeers for sure (they're more or less human too, as i figured) 

March 5, 2014 4:02:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

+1 if you'll be giving units modifiers depending on the type of terrain they are attacking or defending.

March 5, 2014 4:12:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Dwarves! Excellent. 

Elves, Goblins, and high fantasy tropes should be added.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000406   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.