The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

HP Brings Back Windows 7

By on January 20, 2014 7:46:20 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums External Link

MottiKhan

Join Date 04/2007
+152

It seems that HP agrees that the Win8 UI is problematic.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2089403/ouch-hp-brings-windows-7-back-by-popular-demand.html

Sure, MS is rumored to be perhaps thinking about maybe bringing the start button back.  I wonder if this might open their eyes a bit.

Locked Post 113 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 20, 2014 7:52:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I wasn't aware that Windows 7 had left.

January 21, 2014 11:38:55 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Saw this in yahoo news. Apparently their pushing Win7 because of the lackluster sales of Win8. Not to mention its unpopularity.  

January 21, 2014 11:49:08 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I wonder if HP has or needed to have MS approval to do this?  

January 21, 2014 12:32:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I think the problem is Hardware based not Software based 
It is by far easier to blame someone else than to confess that the cause lies within your own roots...
I had a HP-system - waste of money and it perfomed like a 386 compared to equal systems
No OS can change that 
Still a good thing for those that want Windows7 but the wrong choice of Hardware in my eyes.

January 21, 2014 2:06:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

MS is rumored to be perhaps thinking about maybe bringing the start button back.

MS brought the start BUTTON back in 8.1.

This is nothing but backward movement on the part of HP. There is much more than Win8 to blame for sales drops in PC's but it seems that Win8 has been the scapegoat for no VALID reasons. There isn't a damn thing wrong with 8 other than people not wanting to learn something new.

January 21, 2014 2:21:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I think it was just too different. I had an HP desktop awhile back with Vista. Never had a problem with it. The machine I mean. Vista......yeah well.

January 21, 2014 2:36:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I think the only guy around here that never had an issue with Vista is Snowman. But then again Windows ME never gave me any issues.

January 21, 2014 2:46:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Phoon,
There isn't a damn thing wrong with 8 other than people not wanting to learn something new.

My Mother is 77, I have an Aunt close to that. They have both used a computer since Win98.  They both have new laptops with Win8 on it and like the performance but hate the UI. Quite frankly, they get lost and wish now they had kept their old laptops. They don't want or need to learn something new, nor should MS have taken it upon themselves to FORCE people to do so. There should have been a choice between new "Modern" and old "Classic" Windows, imho. Face it Phoon, it isn't like going from rotary dial to touchtone telephone or B/W to Color TV. It's tossing out most of what you know about interacting with a computer and starting over.

I predicted early on that OEM's would end up with a huge backstock of  unsold Win8 machines and I think this is just a move by HP to give the market what it wants. (HP needs all the help they can get in the sales department)  I suspect other OEM's  to follow suit and sell off any remaining Win 7 machines and limit their production of Win 8 rigs that will gather dust. It's all about shareholders and profit and investing in technology that doesn't sell is a sure fire way to lose money.

January 21, 2014 3:01:13 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting kona0197,

I think the only guy around here that never had an issue with Vista is Snowman. But then again Windows ME never gave me any issues.

I never had problems with Vista and it's still on one of my machines.  I was a late adopter and got it for free, so I considered it value for money.

I like my Win 8.1 machine too. The OS cost a whopping $40.00.  It has Start8 on it, so it's pretty nice.  The best $5.00 I've ever spent.

January 21, 2014 3:27:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Oh well, here we go again.  I was sort of hoping that we would have a break from all of this and just hang around waiting for Windows 9 because no matter what ones opinion is of Windows 8........Windows 9 is coming and then after that Windows.............

January 21, 2014 4:08:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well, I will only say that I like 8.1 so much, I just removed 7 from all my machines.

Now running 8.1 on my main rig, laptop, and touch screen AIO Dell.

January 21, 2014 4:17:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,
Well, I will only say that I like 8.1 so much, I just removed 7 from all my machines.

Yeah, yeah. And you like Bessie so much you got rid of your wool underwear.

January 21, 2014 5:57:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,
I predicted early on that OEM's would end up with a huge backstock of  unsold Win8 machines

People are also failing to consider that around and since the time that 8 was released there has been a tremendous surge in tablet sales. That, along with the fact that a large number of Win7 systems still function just fine are major contributors. It's way to easy to just point the finger at Win8 and lay the blame. (Burn it.. It's a Witch!!).

The learning curve, while steep, is not a 90 degree angle. It isn't that difficult at all with a few hours of solid use. However, for a 77 year old it MAY be a bit harder. The transition from 3.x to 95 was radical as hell but the pc to people ratio was considerably less as well...

It's a never ending (for now) debate but at some point the debate WILL be over. It IS the way MS is heading, with a universal theme across all MS devices and will be the norm in no time. Bringing the old style start menu back would be silly (IMO). Time will tell on that one as well

January 21, 2014 6:50:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The regular Startmenue IS here to stay. 7, 8, 9 or whatever

-Just look at all the Startmenu replacement software for Win 8.  If people want it, it will be provided.

January 21, 2014 8:05:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting benmanns,
I think the problem is Hardware based not Software based It is by far easier to blame someone else than to confess that the cause lies within your own roots...I had a HP-system - waste of money and it perfomed like a 386 compared to equal systemsNo OS can change that Still a good thing for those that want Windows7 but the wrong choice of Hardware in my eyes.

That's not going to be the case...as it is 'alleged' that 8 is lighter than 7......eg, you know...it boots faster [desktop [for what it's worth] functions sooner because a lot of loading is hidden in background]....

The slow take-up of 8 is not 'because' there is a lot of perfectly good functioning 7's around.....as the same would have been said for 7...because there was a lot of perfectly good XP's around.  The difference is that 7 was seen as an improvement worth getting....and 8 simply is NOT.

Yes, a lot of people have tablets, etc....but you still need to look at new PC sales percentages/increases to 8's uptake....and again here is someone saying 'nope, 8 is a dud....we'll stay with what the customer asks for'....

Spin it all you want...but MS needs to thank Stardock for providing so many of its [MS] customers with sanity-saving software functionality.....

January 21, 2014 9:24:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Jafo, I've seen plenty of articles and info stating pretty much what I said concerning the tablet and 7 scenario. just like you've seen plenty that points to your view. I think there is a halfway point in there somewhere that is the actual truth between our views. I'll stand on my ground that 8 is NOT a "dud" and it's people that just refuse to give it a solid workout and have to rely on their crutches to walk with it that give it the bad reviews.

From a customization standpoint, it falls short. From an operation standpoint, it out performs anything prior to it.

January 21, 2014 9:37:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Phoon,
From an operation standpoint, it out performs anything prior to it.

I'm going to have to disagree. On my system 8 is really slow compared to 7. For example simply asking 8 to open IE takes forever when it opens in seconds on 7.

January 21, 2014 9:44:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Phoon,
From an operation standpoint, it out performs anything prior to it.
Performance is much better but......  I don't care how fast it goes or how great the mileage is......A butt ugly car that has no doors,( climb in the windows, NASCAR style) or in other words, is hard to access, has a  totally unfamiliar control scheme and a choice of flat, boring colors won't sell and while MS can afford to make an OS that won't sell, (not the first time, wont be the last) the big players in the PC market can't afford to gamble stockholder money on it hoping it will "catch on" or everyone will realize we don't know what we want and need to be told. HP just woke up first.

Sure, what I've seen of Win 8.1 is a solid performer, but it isn't what the buying public wants. People are voting with their wallets. Capitalism at its best.

January 21, 2014 11:05:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have to side with Phoon on this one. I have been using 8 and now 8.1 and for the most part see only improvements. As far as it is being ugly well yes it is if you don't customize it.

Probably going to ruffle a few feathers but I wonder what age has to do with it for those that don't like it. From what I have seen it is often those up in years that simply do not like change. My father went from xp to windows 7 and hated it so much he got mad one day and launched the tower into outer space.

January 21, 2014 11:10:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I don't like Windows 8. I'm only 38 years old. Been using Windows since version 3.11.

January 21, 2014 11:13:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting kona0197,

I don't like Windows 8. I'm only 38 years old. Been using Windows since version 3.11.

Yes but you are one person too. I am talking about majority which I believe (though I have no statistics to back it up), that most would be older then 38.

January 21, 2014 11:31:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I was 38 before windows 95 existed...and have used EVERY MS OS since Dos 4 [and later messed with older things from the first windows and Dos] as a standard/primary OS.

The only one that didn't  exist [for me] as a daily user was Vista....as it was released too early for its own good...and did not have drivers available for my DSL Modem connectivity...so it remained dead in the water until 7.

I have no issues changing OS GUIs .... being one of [not all that many] those here that used alternative shells as an every-day standard....and there have been many of those, not 'just' Litestep.

There's one called Calmira.... gives you a GUI from [eg] XP to re-shell your Windows 3.11.

There are 3rd party Dos GUIs [shells] I used to use...eg. Gorin.

I do not have an issue at all with DIFFERENT interfaces.....as long as they have actual inherent practicality.

8 does not.

Its kernel is better than 7's ....but its shell belongs on an idiot mobile phone, not without third party help [which it shouldn't need if MS had got it right in the first place].

January 21, 2014 11:35:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I need to add....Win ME didn't stay long as an every-day OS.  It suffered from an over-zealous system-restore generator that invariably choked the harddrives of the time. [they weren't all that big].  It was 'amusing' watching the OS choke itself to death filling the drive....

8's on the Laptop .... saved by Stardock ..... and I am yet to do the Mac thing of adding OS point systems [8.1] as it's more appropriate to wait until MS quietly concedes defeat and makes an actual OS for a workstation [again]....

January 21, 2014 11:38:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Jafo I agree that MS should get it right in the first place but we customize our gui's anyway. I just don't get complaining how it looks. The way my laptop is set up you would not know I was running windows 8.1 unless you checked system properties. What is the big deal with taking an OS that works better, but looks ugly and making it look good and even be more user friendly with the help of Stardock software. Like I said most if not all on this site will do it anyway on any system that can be customized.

January 21, 2014 11:46:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Junior....it's not about the 'looks'....it's not about loading [or not] Windowblinds .... it's about Start 8 and ModernMix [in particular].

Having an 'ugly' OS is NOT the issue....they have [apart from 7, really] ALWAYS been ugly....which is why I'm a skinner...it's why we all became skinners [or use their products].

It's sheer common-sense functionality....and 8 is simply that perfect adage....a 'Jack of all trades and master of none.'

I don't own a pad... I don't own a Windows phone either... but MS wants me to standardize my interface?

Bit bloody presumptuous!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000188   Page Render Time: