The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Had to get rid of Firefox

BSOD's

By on October 14, 2013 1:42:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

LightStar

Join Date 12/2002
+515

Well, after many years of using Firefox, I had to get rid of it and I guess I'll use IE until I find something better. It seems Firefox has been crashing systems with a BSOD since at least version 20.  People have complained in the forums, but no one at Mozilla seems to care evidently. My system has crashed 10 times now while using Firefox, and if the creators apparently aren't going to fix it, I am not going to use it.

Anyone else getting BSOD's when using Firefox (v20-v24) on Windows 7?

Locked Post 51 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 14, 2013 2:19:10 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I haven't had that problem but I don't use it very often.

BSOD to me indicates either an Operating System issue or a Hardware issue.

October 14, 2013 2:21:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Nope, using v24 just fine with Win 7.  I can't even remember the last time I've seen a BSOD, at least on one of MY computers. 

October 14, 2013 2:27:50 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

i dont like firefox or IE at all, Google chrome is the best and fastest browser around, just use that.... problem solved... 

October 14, 2013 2:32:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well, my system just crashed again, but this time while I was using IE so I guess further research is needed. I read somewhere about a Windows Update that Microsoft put out a while back that cauyses BSOD's too, I'll pursue that for now.

October 14, 2013 2:41:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

LightStar try making a memtest
If a BSOD is triggered while the system runs on low resources sounds like memory corruption...
Thinking a step further did you recently switched GFX cards ( from Nvidia to AMD ) if so try to remove the old drivers completely and then do sfc then install the new drivers.

October 14, 2013 3:03:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

No issues here running any browser.

October 14, 2013 3:14:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm running FF on three different computers, its crashed to desktop a few times, but never a BSOD

October 14, 2013 3:18:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hi Lightstar

Install Blue Screen View.

It might help you to diagnose the problem.

Last time I was getting Blue Screens it turned out to be a memory issue.

Cheers

Macca

October 14, 2013 3:27:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Tom...give Pale Moon a shot... might run a lot better on your system.

Also...you could try disabling hardware acceleration?

October 14, 2013 3:59:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Did not like Pale Moon Doc, but thanks. I put Firefox back on and disabled hardware acceleration, so now well see what happens.

I also set IE to use software rendering instead of GPU rendering, which I would imagine means the same thing.

October 14, 2013 4:07:50 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If it happened in IE you have bigger issues going on than browser preference. I wouldn't pursue it from that standpoint. First guess... video card or memory. Reseat both and try again. Update drivers (if you haven't already). Rollback video drivers if you recently updated them. 

October 14, 2013 4:39:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Tom, try this. I use it to pinpoint what BSODs are caused by.

http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

October 14, 2013 5:05:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks Jim, next crash will tell, if I have one. Got that program you recommended too Aussie007.

October 14, 2013 8:31:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ernie leo,

I'm running FF on three different computers, its crashed to desktop a few times, but never a BSOD

This. Well 2 PCs and my phone.. lol

As someone mentioned earlier.. BSOD tend to be a deeper issue.. Memory either System ram or video card is the first thing I look at when getting BSODs. THen i start looking at microsoft updates since they have a history of being pushed out only to find out they cause BSODs in some circumstances.

October 14, 2013 10:12:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I recently fixed my sister's boyfriend's PC. He bluescreened every time he open the chess game that comes with windows.

Tried everything. It turned out to be bad ram.

Memtest is a good tool.

http://www.memtest86.com/

October 14, 2013 10:43:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Firefox has become very unstable over the years, particularly with the unfortunately ubiquitously-necessary Java and Macromedia plugins.  I've had lots of browser crashes, a few BSODs and often a lot of lag and unresponsiveness.

Webmasters gripe about ad blockers, but most flash ads are super-bloated and buggy to the point of crashing Firefox a lot, and its even creeped in a bit to the same plugins on Chrome sadly, though nowhere near as bad as Firefox (and thus I tend to default to using Chrome).

October 14, 2013 11:37:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Chrome's been my default for sometime now. Still have FF v24 and it seems stable. Last time I used it there were no problems even viewing pages here. 

October 15, 2013 7:17:59 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Chibiabos,
Firefox has become very unstable over the years... a few BSODs

Usermode software on modern versions of Windows cannot directly cause a BSOD. If it can, then that's a bug/vulnerability in the kernel or drivers. BSODs tend to pretty universally be due to driver bugs or hardware faults.

October 15, 2013 7:24:47 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

What kryo said.

I became quite adept at BSODs over the years....I could crash anything....usually by toying with shells...

October 15, 2013 7:35:50 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I let the smoke out......once.

October 15, 2013 1:42:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,
I became quite adept at BSODs over the years....I could crash anything....usually by toying with shells..

hehehe

October 15, 2013 2:33:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

not bsod. but my firefox has been crash happy for quite a while now (months?) .... maybe to do with that reloadplus.... or maybe something else entirely

October 15, 2013 4:57:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well, I ran complete and extensive memory checks on my PC, both system memory and video memory, and there were no errors at all. Since I reinstalled Firefox fresh yesterday I have noticed a lot of improvements and fixes in areas where I was having issues before. So I guess every so often it might be a good idea to uninstall it, run a registry cleaner, and then reinstall with the latest version rather than totally relying on updates. I also turned off the hardware acceleration and I have had no crashes or BSOD's since. I also turn off hardware acceleration in IE. Here's hoping all is well!

October 15, 2013 5:03:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

before to Standby or Hibernate the OS always close Firefox (my restart after the Standby is only lasting 20 seconds well spent)

daily check this page http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/ and keep all the plugins updated

and ... if you like the Tabs Previews resting on a Dock (autohide) use my new Stylish style http://userstyles.org/styles/94040/topsidebar-tabspreview-dock

BTW only on Firefox !

October 15, 2013 7:56:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks for the info frankell, I already keep all my add-ons up to date though. Not too sure about the dock, I am really basically a minimalist kinda guy. Nice looking though!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time: