The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

getting message forums are down for maintenance at work

By on September 16, 2013 12:30:52 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Solam

Join Date 03/2007
+16

i have always were able to access stardock forums through forums.stardock.com, now for the last week or so i get the stardock forums are down for maintenance. i can get on from home and my cell but at work it does not work. both explorer and firefox i even downloaded crome to see and same problem. can anybody help?

thanks

Locked Post 14 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 16, 2013 12:46:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

There's no maintenance currently going on.  I'd suggest clearing your browsers cache and cookies.

September 16, 2013 12:53:36 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Island Dog,

There's no maintenance currently going on.  I'd suggest clearing your browsers cache and cookies.

thats what i did and why i downloaded chrome so i would have a new browser wothout any back date but i still get that maintenace message

September 16, 2013 3:17:31 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

So get this, I cut and pasted this post link and sent it to my work email.

From this link I was able to access the site but has soon as I press the link for forum home I get the message service is down for maintenance. The only way I can access a sub forum is through a link otherwise it does not work.

Now that is strange.

September 16, 2013 6:45:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Perhaps your server at work needs a reboot too...

September 17, 2013 8:18:56 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It's pretty simple, if there were recent changes on things at your end, then it is something your company did.  I know Stardock did changes to the site/forum recently, so if nothing was changed on your end, then it is more than likely something they changed. Common sense with a little logic thrown in.

September 17, 2013 8:23:38 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Common sense and logic......what strange bedfellows. 

September 17, 2013 8:45:04 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thanks all for the input.

It's hard for me to know if my work did any changes since I am on a workstation,

The site works everywhere but at work. At least my workaround works. I can access it through some of my earlier posts.

September 17, 2013 8:51:30 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I would bet it's either they are blocking it outright, or their security software has flagged it.

September 17, 2013 8:54:05 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Solam,
It's hard for me to know if my work did any changes since I am on a workstation

If you are on a workstation and can't get on that should tell you work has blocked places you visit. Time to believe that companies can see where you visit if they wish and add things to their black list so they can no longer be accessed. 

They have a complete right to make sure their computers are being used for work only.

September 17, 2013 8:55:27 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

That's not good.

September 17, 2013 12:49:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DaveBax,
They have a complete right to make sure their computers are being used for work only.

What a concept!

September 17, 2013 2:12:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Frankief,

Quoting DaveBax, reply 9They have a complete right to make sure their computers are being used for work only.

What a concept!

It may be a concept to some but it's total fact. I have watched plenty of people spend more time while on the payroll on FB and Internet for their own use than actual work hours they performed in a day. People cause this stuff to happen not companies. If people did quick checks on things all would be fine but they totally abuse it. I don't agree companies have a right to personal information but they do have a right to shut it down. 

Take this thread for example. Someone is bothered because they can't get on personal sites while working or suppose to be working. If they can get on their own computer or more than one of their computers than the company blocked all the work stations in that office. 

September 17, 2013 11:15:39 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Where I work there is a blocker and believe me it works very well.

When you try to access a blocked site it tells you that the company has blocked it. This however is not blocked. If they had blocked it all of the site would be inaccessible.

This is something else, trust me.

As for actually doing work... god forbid that LOL

If I was not doing my job well I would be in the streets. My boss is quite nice and lets us play around during breaks and lunch hour.

I'm touched by all of your concerns.

September 18, 2013 7:16:36 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Sounds like they are aggressively caching at the firewall/proxy and a stale page got stuck in there during the maintenance last week. If the site is allowed, you should be able to check with IT and see if they can flush it.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000110   Page Render Time: