The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

What happened to Global Warming?

By on June 20, 2013 9:54:31 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

ZombiesRus5

Join Date 02/2009
+321

When I put my first above ground pool in around the late 90's we were able to open it in April and start swimming in May.

Now my pool is just opened and still not warm enough to swim in

I'd like some global warming back...

2913 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 20, 2013 10:17:35 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well, combined with the effects of global warming and the fact that the Earth is shifting on its axis, I imagine this is only going to get worse over the next 10 years. Climate change is affecting the entire planet, like having 90°F temperatures in Alaskan Coastal towns right now, severe weather issues everywhere... huge tornadoes...  melting ice caps... you name it, and it is probably going to happen even more.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/heat-turns-up-in-alaska-1/14371788

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/mar/13/science/la-sci-japan-quake-science-20110313

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/climate-weather/stories/magnetic-north-shifting-by-40-miles-a-year-might-signal-pole-r

June 20, 2013 10:50:56 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

June 20, 2013 11:17:01 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ,

When I put my first above ground pool in around the late 90's we were able to open it in April and start swimming in May.

Now my pool is just opened and still not warm enough to swim in

I'd like some global warming back...

It is a common error to assume that global warming means that it is getting warmer for you.

Think about it.... if it was just 2 or 4 degrees difference in temperature, nobody would care.

No, the main problem here is, that even those small adverage temperature changes do affect the global climate. And that might lead to significant changes into the climate for your region.

It is actually possible, that your local region would get "colder" while other temperate regions become quite hot.

This also can lead to natural disaster, not known in certain regions until now. Tornados are practically nonexistant in Europe..... but there are some predictions that state that in a few decades, this might not be true anymore.

June 20, 2013 1:21:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Tornados are practically nonexistant in Europe

The UK has more tornadoes per 1000Km³ than anywhere else, albeit not as severe (I've seen two this year )

Despite being much smaller, Europe has an average 700 tornadoes per year to the US' 1200.

June 20, 2013 1:41:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

UK is not in Europe...they use the pound, don't you know?

I've seen conflicting data on the issue...some sources say UK has more (per area), others say The Netherlands...but UK definitely has more if you ignore area....

Apparently Bangladesh has several, and they are pretty deadly...I imagine mainly because of the population density, though maybe they just have really really bad tornadoes...

June 20, 2013 2:40:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

UK is not in Europe

We won't be after the referendum we are supposed to be having

June 20, 2013 3:23:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

blah blah conspiracy blah blah warming isn't real blah blah scientists are committing the biggest hoax ever blah blah

Thought I would get that out there before some random conspiracy nut comes in here trying to pass tinfoil hats around.

June 20, 2013 4:01:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Gee, this thread isn't destined to become contentious and unpleasant.  Nope, not at all. 

June 20, 2013 7:45:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Because this where these conversations always go:

The reason a tiny change in the composition of the atmosphere is troubling is because only a tiny % of the atmosphere is CO2 in the first place.

June 20, 2013 10:08:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah we can cut down forests and jungles and frack and drill baby drill and dump filth everywhere and kill each other with fun new murder weapons that are just Neat and Cool and arm other murderers who are the enemies of our enemies so they are our friends. Hate. Corporations plot behind our backs and let's bring in millions of new desperate peasants and send millions of jobs overseas to different peasants and boy oh boy the shareholders jump for joy! Weeeeee! Capitalism works !!!!!!!!! And who cares about paying taxes? Or the unemployed cuz it's all their fault. Let 'em starve. Bring in some new FERTILE drones that will fix everything, won't it?

Anyone notice the gigantic new and improved breed of tornado? Pehaps if we get a Cat 6 hurricane we'll all be convinced that we score an F in Planetary Management.

(Not sure what this had to do with our awesome game)

GO HEAT!!!!!!!! (Not global warming)

June 21, 2013 5:00:51 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Could be it just got canceled due to lack of interest. Humor

There are too many variables to say one way or the other. Only on the large scale will any difference be noticable. It isn't so much the size as the power the storms pack. I just found out what a Derecho is. Straight line winds that sometimes follow a line of thunder storms that clock in at 80 to 100 miles an hour. That's bad enough and its normal!

June 21, 2013 7:48:51 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting jackswift85,

blah blah conspiracy blah blah warming isn't real blah blah scientists are committing the biggest hoax ever blah blah

Thought I would get that out there before some random conspiracy nut comes in here trying to pass tinfoil hats around.

Spoken like someone who watches way too much Fox News -- or Fox News-equivalent.

Believe it or not, many great scientists around the world believe the theory of global *cooling* to be a far more likely outcome, perhaps foreseeable even in our lifetimes to a small extent.  I was lucky enough to hear both sides from said scientists giving lectures in college.

I'm not saying I believe 100% in one theory or the other; nor do I believe I'm qualified to claim I know.  But just because one concept has obviously been drilled into your brain since day one (global warming), doesn't make every other concept you're not as familiar with any less credible.   This is where both ignorance and intolerance stem from -- either way, it isn't fair to your brain.  Please consider this next time before being so condescending.

June 21, 2013 9:04:01 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

It's not called Global Warming© any longer since the cold streaks hit.  Now it's called "climate change".

Any weather pattern now, or lack of, is attributed to "climate change" regardless.  

June 21, 2013 10:05:46 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Isn't climate change a natural process while Global Warming was apparently man made.

June 21, 2013 12:23:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Victor5,
Spoken like someone who watches way too much Fox News -- or Fox News-equivalent.

FAIR AND BALANCED

June 21, 2013 1:40:41 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I saw an interesting film a while ago called "Chasing Ice".   http://www.chasingice.com/

In it James Balog makes some interesting if not thought-provoking points.  Pictures do speak volumes more than words alone and his film is one of the less 'soapbox' type (he mostly lets his pictures do the talking).  I found the film put 'climate change' and the debate(s) around the topic in an interesting light.

June 21, 2013 4:05:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

"Global Cooling, I mean, Global Warming, I mean Climate Change is real man. Why would Al Gore Lie to us? I mean hes only trying to make BILLIONS of dollars. If he was trying to make TRILLIONS, than I might think something is up."

Wasnt it Global Cooling in the 60's? Then it became Global Warming after the Earth didnt freeze into a giant snow ball. Anytime someone points out hypocrisies or mentions the Multitude of scientists that dont agree with climate change, the alarmists try to demonize you or make you out to be too stupid to comprehend reality. I think there were at least three articles alone in the past month about global warming alarmist scientist at a loss for why it appears the Earth has not been heating up in the past decade. 

The Climate has been changing as long as the Planet has been spinning. It has frozen over and melted many times. Driving SUVS has as much effect on our planet as it does on others. None. Yet nearly all the planets are also experiencing the same changes we see here on Earth. Please explain that alone Alarmists. The funniest thing that gets me is Nearly every fear mongering article about global warming causing an excessive heat wave or storm, theres always an article just under it about the huge solar storm/flare hitting Earth. 

A volcano could explode today and put the world into a global winter in a matter or days killing all vegetation and rendering us extinct in a matter of a few very short years. Giving all my money and freedoms to Al Gore wouldnt stop it for a gazillasecond. But dont tell that to the  Cult of alarmist or they will want to exterminate you in the name of saving humanity. 

June 21, 2013 4:07:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

the_Monk, those pictures and the short segments are certainly worthy of being considered art. I had the good fortune to see the Mendenhall Glacier before it ultimately disappears.

June 21, 2013 4:25:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Victor5,

Believe it or not, many great scientists around the world believe the theory of global *cooling* to be a far more likely outcome, perhaps foreseeable even in our lifetimes to a small extent.  I was lucky enough to hear both sides from said scientists giving lectures in college.

I'm not saying I believe 100% in one theory or the other; nor do I believe I'm qualified to claim I know.  But just because one concept has obviously been drilled into your brain since day one (global warming), doesn't make every other concept you're not as familiar with any less credible.   This is where both ignorance and intolerance stem from -- either way, it isn't fair to your brain.  Please consider this next time before being so condescending.

Actually, I never watch Fox News, as doing so will most likely promote "ignorance and intolerance". I've kept my mind open to climate denialists claims, but everytime a new denialist meme floats around the internet ("it's the sun", "it's cooling", "we'll be fine", "temperature record is unreliable", "the oceans can absorb all the extra heat", "there's no consensus", "climate's changed before", etc.), science is there to shoot it down. I'd love to read some papers from these "great scientists" that believe that the earth is cooling, but all the information I've been able to gather (scholarly journals) very clearly points to a man-made global climate change that will warm the planet to disastrous levels (for humans). 

I'm sorry if I come off as a bit condescending, but I'm amazed (and quite tired) at the amount of Americans out there that believe AGW is a hoax just because they also vote for anyone with an 'R' next to their name. Skepticism is healthy, it allows us to challenge preconceived notions about our universe. Without it we would have never moved past how the earth is flat, etc. That word has been hijacked the last few years to mean "I don't believe in AGW and nothing you say, no amount of data, analysis and peer-reviewed literature you show me will make a difference." Pretty sad really, as skepticism is the opposite of ignorance. I'd like nothing more for these hoax claims to be true, as that means we can keep destroying forests, pumping pollutants into the atmosphere and plopping down strip malls anywhere we choose without consequences (well, the consequences of flooding all the coastlines anyways, we'll still have all the regular nastiness like cancer, emphysema and lung/heart disease, contaminated water supplies, etc. to deal with).

Being told the climate is cooling by people using critical thought, analysis, testing methods and producing repeatable results is great. Being told AGW is a hoax every time it snows is not.

June 21, 2013 5:24:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Re: science and climate change, there's some very interesting stuff at http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/2009/climate-change-a-consensus-among-scientists/

Media has been working very hard to make it appear as if there is some controversy here, some debate, as if some discussion was still taking place that may come down on either side. That is a falsehood. And unless you are one of those educated people working in the field, you are most likely not able to say that the existing consensus may be wrong. Far more likely, you have simply bought into the illusion and rhetoric employed by those who directly stand to benefit from nothing changing.

June 21, 2013 5:46:27 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It's quite funny that the more "educated" people become the more they demonstrate a complete lack of common sense.

So far, there's been only one real answer to this topic. A nice common sense opinion without a backdrop of political bullshit.

Quoting Pizentu,
The Climate has been changing as long as the Planet has been spinning. It has frozen over and melted many times. Driving SUVS has as much effect on our planet as it does on others. None. Yet nearly all the planets are also experiencing the same changes we see here on Earth. Please explain that alone Alarmists. The funniest thing that gets me is Nearly every fear mongering article about global warming causing an excessive heat wave or storm, theres always an article just under it about the huge solar storm/flare hitting Earth. 

A volcano could explode today and put the world into a global winter in a matter or days killing all vegetation and rendering us extinct in a matter of a few very short years. Giving all my money and freedoms to Al Gore wouldnt stop it for a gazillasecond. But dont tell that to the  Cult of alarmist or they will want to exterminate you in the name of saving humanity. 

June 21, 2013 6:17:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting jackswift85,

Quoting Victor5, reply 12

Actually, I never watch Fox News, as doing so will most likely promote "ignorance and intolerance". I've kept my mind open to climate denialists claims, but everytime a new denialist meme floats around the internet ("it's the sun", "it's cooling", "we'll be fine", "temperature record is unreliable", "the oceans can absorb all the extra heat", "there's no consensus", "climate's changed before", etc.), science is there to shoot it down. I'd love to read some papers from these "great scientists" that believe that the earth is cooling, but all the information I've been able to gather (scholarly journals) very clearly points to a man-made global climate change that will warm the planet to disastrous levels (for humans). 

I'm sorry if I come off as a bit condescending, but I'm amazed (and quite tired) at the amount of Americans out there that believe AGW is a hoax just because they also vote for anyone with an 'R' next to their name. Skepticism is healthy, it allows us to challenge preconceived notions about our universe. Without it we would have never moved past how the earth is flat, etc. That word has been hijacked the last few years to mean "I don't believe in AGW and nothing you say, no amount of data, analysis and peer-reviewed literature you show me will make a difference." Pretty sad really, as skepticism is the opposite of ignorance. I'd like nothing more for these hoax claims to be true, as that means we can keep destroying forests, pumping pollutants into the atmosphere and plopping down strip malls anywhere we choose without consequences (well, the consequences of flooding all the coastlines anyways, we'll still have all the regular nastiness like cancer, emphysema and lung/heart disease, contaminated water supplies, etc. to deal with).

Being told the climate is cooling by people using critical thought, analysis, testing methods and producing repeatable results is great. Being told AGW is a hoax every time it snows is not.

Yeah you do come off as more than "a bit condescending". As I stated above, anytime someone doesnt agree with the alarmists, they try to demonize you or tell you that you are too ignorant to understand whats happening. Sounds to me like you are the intolerant one. Or is your intolerance ok? 

True or false:

- The Earth has frozen over and melted many times in its entire history  ::: True

- Other planets are also facing extremities in weather ::: True

- During the past years heat waves, many coincided with increased Solar activities ::: True 

- "Climate scientists struggle to explain warming slowdown" ::: True

- Climate scientists were caught fudging data to show more of a warming trend than there actually was ::: True

With this, as well as much more evidence that leads to doubt about this alarmist nature, doubting the hysteria seems hardly "ignorant and intolerant" to me. You say "Skepticism is healthy".  I guess it is only healthy until it disagrees with your perspective. Then, again, you go into your demonization of people who disagree with you by calling them "Flat Earthers". I must have some nerve to have a different opinion than you and the groups of people being paid by the government and special interest groups to find the results that they are pushing for. 

But just because I dont believe in Global Warming doesnt mean I dont want to live in a cleaner environment. I think this is one of the biggest mistakes by climate alarmists. One, they unjustly think anyone that doesnt believe in their side, wants dirty air and water. Or that we are just controlled by the corporations. Thats just bull. The Alarmist crowd went about this the wrong way and should have focused more on Pollution instead of relying on weather as their battle cry. Should we be looking for cleaner and more efficient energy? Absolutely. But buying "Carbon Credits" does not clean the environment  And doesnt prevent global warming/cooling/change. All it does is make Al Gore and his associates very wealthy. It also makes the population more poor and politicians more corrupt. 

June 21, 2013 8:16:31 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Pizentu,
But just because I dont believe in Global Warming doesnt mean I dont want to live in a cleaner environment.

By disclaiming the first you clearly deny causality with the second.

Your head is in the sand if you think human's lust for energy/resource consumption is NOT affecting this planet's [and our] survival.

I have the supreme benefit of actually not caring about your opinion and that of others who deny the reality of human-engineered global warming....I am old enough to be dead soon enough that I'll avoid the few degrees average increase in temp that will economically destroy our current 'civilization'.

...and I don't have kids who would suffer either.

Just a simple hole in the ozone layer [thanks partly to CFCs] means Aussies can last about 20 minutes in the sun before frying.  If the top half of the world suffered the same perhaps a few more people might just say...."fuck!" ....

June 21, 2013 8:54:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Nah Jafo, we'd just invert our maps so Australia would be in the top half of the world...

June 21, 2013 9:40:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I can't move to Australia just to have a pool.

Wish it would just be hotter here.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000093   Page Render Time: