The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

why is DEMIGOD dead?

By on May 7, 2013 2:00:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Renfri

Join Date 03/2010

can you somebody explain to me why all players finish with this game pleas? I remember 8 games open at once. Now is 20 ppl online in a peak

I tryed LOL , DOTA2, SMITE....these games with their annoying "last-hitting system " = all the time runing around and waiting for last hit is sooo booring.  Impossible to zoom out to see all the battlefied !? childs animated graphic compared with Demigod!?

I really  dont understand how can somebody prefer this suck before DEMIGOD

Yea demigod has some bugs like sometimes lag or  "criticatl error", but this is not so often .

why author of demigod do nothing for support this game , its such a pitty and shame....

BE GOOD
7 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 8, 2013 6:53:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ,

I tryed LOL , DOTA2, SMITE....these games with their annoying "last-hitting system " = all the time runing around and waiting for last hit is sooo booring.

in SMITE "last-hitting" isn't THAT important tho since you still get gold from creeps even if you didn't last hit

May 16, 2013 9:43:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You questions betrays the answer.

Yes this game does have the best gamplay graphics mechanisms etc. It is a substantially better game than the others you mention.  Gas Powered Games did a really good job. A few tweaks were needed, but nothing that could not be patched out in no time.

It even had a large initial influx of players.  So you would think that it had all the ingredients for success. But as with other games published by Stardock they screwed up their side of the deal. The networking and game stats were awful at launch. It was full of connection bugs. It was painful to try and play and favour points kept getting wiped. As a result all the initially interested players were dropping away as fast as joining, so the game never managed to achieve critical mass, and the game never took off as a viable multi-player sensation as it could well have been. Only the most committed stardock fans stuck around. I myself dropped out for a good couple of years after launch after getting so frustrated with the connection problems.

Once you have failed to achieve critical mass you’re in trouble.  Number of games going gets smaller and wait times shoot up. Players drop away faster.

We had a boost when the game went to steam, but this game has a high learning curve and many of us were several epochs in by then. You have to be willing to get annihilated over and over again. But what’s worse, you need to put up with your teammates wailing on you for ruining their game. Then once your stats are like 20 games played 1 game won you have to join a lobby, wait in it 25 minutes, then get booted without a word when 6 experienced players are ready to go.  I remember telling everyone back then give noobs a go or the game will never launch, but then then another player would join the lobby and immediately comment “kick the nub”. No wonder only a handful of player joined us since this went on steam.

What we needed was more Darkaliths that mentored noobs, and a lot less IN1’s* that abused them. But on average we had more of the latter types than the former types.

That said, my demigod experience is now to start a lobby and wait half an hour while watching a video or playing some windowed indie game and then once you have your first game going you can roll from one to the next pretty quickly.

I would love it if there was a Demigod 2, but I think Gas Powered games was on the verge of going under and had to sell out to another studio, unless the new owners want to take a massive gamble there will never be a Demigod2.  We will have to just keep going between those of us that are left. I’m actually amazed it has hung to life this long. It would only take for about 10 of the regular players to drop away from here to push the wait times beyond reasonable. And final death would await.

*To be fair and not wanting to be misleading IN1 did abuse the vast majority of all players not just noobs. And it was funny watching him suck up to the pro-set.  

May 24, 2013 11:29:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This is probably one of most favorite games of all time...

Hopefully we'll see it released as "free" one day.

July 12, 2013 12:13:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hello hello all, I haven't been on the forums in... well... years, and honestly, this may be a rather, hm, nit picky post. Just to set the record straight, as a P2P game, the original issues in Demigod connectivity were on GPG's end with the insane amount of bandwidth the connections required. Stardock worked day in and out (or posted that much?) with GPG to get the connection issues solved. Also, the absolute lack of patches for the game in terms of balance (for goodness sake, health items anyone?) doomed a lot of builds and gameplay variety. Finally, interesting tidbit, on a random acct. that looked to be an employee acct. (multiple accounts with same root name, some with admin access etc.) they had an owned game named "Demigod 2:The All Fathers Revenge(?)" 

Finally, the learning curve in DG has always been horrifying and destructive for noobs. A lot of players who "stuck it out" also hated playing with noobs, and the best chance I ever saw for noob tutoring was Pacov's Ventrilo games, that's what really got me into this game. Sadly, most of us have moved on to League, but hey, maybe one day they'll release the all father's revenge or whatever it was. Thanks for your time, I doubt anyone is actually going to read this...........

August 22, 2014 5:06:49 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

K_B is right. Demigod was released way before its prime. Although the "last hit system" is a pain in the arse in games like DoTA and LoL. At least in Demigod you get gold for assists. It confuses me too, how LoL is somehow more popular. I'm not saying it is a bad game. I just asked a couple of people, and for some odd reason, they label Demigod as "Crap, old and dead", and i'm just wondering why, since i haven't played LoL. From what I've heard, LoL is better because of the wider range of playable characters (Hundreds - who needs THAT many???), and to mention from the Gas Powered Games forums, the maps are better (though not much different from DoTA - ??????) and the items are better, including a crafting system (What is this? Minecraft?). Sorry if I offend anyone btw, just my opinion. But Demigod had its good aspects too before it "died". Contrary to the GPG forums, Demigod's maps aren't boring (they mentioned it was because there was a lack of trees for an ambush. I'm pretty sure DemiGOD should've given quite a different image?), and, although there aren't as many items, there aren't as many Demigods as they are Champions in LoL (or whatever they are called).

What is interesting is this new Demigod:The All Father's Revenge. Maccilla, do you have any more information than that? This sounds good, although Gas Powered Games will have to finish it before releasing it this time. Maybe beta - testers? 

August 22, 2014 5:07:36 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

And Maccilla, I did read ur post 

August 11, 2015 3:22:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

why is DEMIGOD dead?

Because over 16 millions $ in tournament of DOTA 2.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000156   Page Render Time: