The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Kickstarter: LIMIT THEORY

By on November 25, 2012 11:34:47 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sinperium

Join Date 02/2010
+210

I don't have time to play a lot of different games but I saw this one and thought I would mention it as it might have some appeal here.

Kickstarter

Author's Site

This is a procedurally produced universe space sim with missions, planetary interactions, research and npcs.  The current work will be a single player game though down the road he hopes to have networking for MP.

His Kickstarter goal is $50k and he has already raised $47k of it.  You can get a DRM free digital game copy on release starting at a $15 donation.

This game particularly looks like it might appeal to Sins and Galactic Civilizations players.

What's impressive about it is it is using a custom engine to handle the physics of ship flight, planets, etc. as well as handle universe generation ..and it's all been devised and coded by the project creator in under three months with no one working on it but himself.

Sins and GalCiv players will definitely at least want to look over this project and I hope some of you might help the guy get where he's going--looks really worthwhile.

In brief, Limit Theory is:

• An open-world space simulator / RPG
  • A sandbox game : No story, no restrictions.
  • Completely procedural : A completely new universe is only a button-click away.
  • Infinite : The game universe has no boundary.
  • Third-Person or First-Person : Command your ship from within or without.
  • Deep and intelligent : Engage in far more than just combat or trading.
  • Twitch-Based : Aim and fire weaponry directly, as you would in a shooter.
  • Approachable : Intuitive controls and slick interfaces ensure that playing will never feel like a job.
  • Strategic : Command an entire fleet when you amass enough cash to purchase more ships.
  • Extensively-Customizable : Outfit your ship, fleet, and space stations with whatever equipment you choose.
  • Single Player : A universe built just for you, that no one else will ever get to see (unless you choose to share it with them!)
  • Beautiful and Atmospheric : Gaze in awe at a universe as diverse, vibrant, and uniquely-atmospheric as your dreams.
122 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 7, 2014 1:34:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Is anyone publishing this? Perhaps Stardock should contact him.

June 4, 2014 12:02:15 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums
June 4, 2014 9:57:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wow! Now he has NPCs creating their own missions and others accepting and carrying them out.

I think he is pretty close to done with the basic framework of the game. He just needs to expand the content and work on the procedural ship stuff. After that, I THINK it is mostly just work on the interface and basic polish. 

Well I say all that as if it is nothing big...it's actually still quite a lot of work.

June 5, 2014 5:29:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Hawawaa,

Update 17- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VshxojiNqJk 

Enjoy! 

Thanks for posting, some times I do go to work and he was a little behind on his Dev update. Nevertheless, his tweaks to the graphics just keep getting better and better.

Quoting Slashimus,
Wow! Now he has NPCs creating their own missions and others accepting and carrying them out.

That was amazing, this has been a great week for space genre games, Star Citizens Dog fighting module is gorageous and Josh just posting great dev updates. Can't wait to see the June update...

Edit: I was rewatching the video on a larger screen and noticed at the 4 min mark that 2 Npc ships were fighting in the background lower right. This game, still early in it's overall development, will be amazing...

June 25, 2014 9:25:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I am ready to buy it.

July 2, 2014 5:38:03 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Update 18- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r6N7_HAsZo

Games delayed to early 2015, thats ok. Still want to preorder (wish he opens that gate soon).

July 3, 2014 2:05:36 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Hawawaa,

Games delayed to early 2015, thats ok. Still want to preorder (wish he opens that gate soon).

Thanks for posting, just got back from a 15 hour stretch from Atlantic City to Philadelphia back to NYC. The Fourth is gonna be a killer for us. Anyway, enjoy the vid.

July 3, 2014 7:46:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Hawawaa,

Yeah, I'm definitely okay with him delaying the game.  No point in rushing it out the door unfinished. 

July 3, 2014 11:42:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Major Stress,

Is anyone publishing this? Perhaps Stardock should contact him.

No kidding.

July 4, 2014 2:04:41 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I agree. It's better to push it back, and be sure you got it right than to rush it out the door. I've seen too much fail because it was rushed. What i've seen so far is most impressive. Especially for a single person developing this.

July 18, 2014 8:35:43 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Why is he the only one to get that the AI is essential to making a "realistic universe"?  This could have been done years ago.  Eve should be implementing this sort of thing.

Josh is da man.

August 3, 2014 1:15:48 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Alright guys, it's that time again. This month, Josh talks about LTSL!!! What is that??? If you are a modder, that means the universe is yours to create with Limit Theory!!! Like I said before, this is more than a game but a platform for every sci fi space based themed game you can think of. 

Josh is really excited and can't wait to see what modders can do!!! Me neither!!! Enjoy!!!

August 3, 2014 1:27:06 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It's so beautiful... I'm glad I backed this. I can't wait to see how I can procedurally generate particle sets...

August 3, 2014 1:30:36 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Disregard, made a slip...

August 3, 2014 5:58:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

slick

August 6, 2014 5:04:29 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Nice looking game, the skybox looks pretty, reminds me of Starpoint Gemini 2 graphics

October 6, 2014 8:15:45 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

All right guys, it's here. Dev update #20 has been just posted and I myself haven't watched it yet either. The reason for the long delay was Josh went on vacation back just before the end of August. He deserved it for working on this game since the Kickstarter campaign ended in success year before last...

When he came back, he had a massive corruption which he postponed the update. And then there was a wedding that he was involved in, no he didn't get married. Game will never be finished then. Anyway, this one the largest one so far coming in at over 36 minutes.

Sit back and watch and if it merits it, I'll repost...I know this is gonna be awesome!!!!

October 27, 2014 3:04:04 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thank God he didn't get married.  That woulda been bad. He'll have time for that later--like twenty years from now.  He has a game to finish first.

Thanks for the update Bison.

December 14, 2014 1:39:14 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Josh has just dropped Dev update 21 a couple of hours ago and I just got home from work in the last hour. I haven't watched it yet but hopefully he has good stuff we have been waiting for. Good night and enjoy. 

July 2, 2015 7:16:06 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Josh posted about his long absence on LT forum...

I'm both exceptionally pleased and...extraordinarily nervous to finally be returning to you after what must seem like ages to you all. For me, it seems more like a rather long, unpleasant dream. No doubt many, if not most of you, are pretty upset with my disappearance by now. Although I can't possibly take back or even completely explain away the 'dark months,' I really hope that shedding some light on it will help you all to understand why I've acted the way I have.

July 4, 2015 1:15:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks for posting. I been following since his last posting back in January. Was very worried that something may have happened to him. The main thing is he's okay and now doing well, I believe the game may had a hand to what happened to him for it is a lot for a single being working on something as grand a picture he painted. Curious is the fact another "procedurally generated" game is also on tap to debut this year on PS4 and PC's. If Josh can do the same but with more "realism" to the game. It would be definitely be epic!!!

Get well Josh, no game should claim your well being!!!

September 9, 2015 5:51:39 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

The Beginning of the Golden Days, says Josh. Well, posted in August.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000438   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2015 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.