The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

CHRIS ROBERTS--STAR CITIZEN UPDATES & INFO

Yes, awesome does exist.

By on September 19, 2012 3:15:56 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sinperium

Join Date 02/2010
+213

Chris Roberts--the primary creator of Games such as Privater, Wing Commander and Freelancer is back in action!.

FROM THE CHAIRMAN:

Welcome!

If you’ve made it here, you probably know who I am. Maybe you have heard of Wing Commander and its sequels, or perhaps Strike Commander, Privateer or Freelancer.

If not, you’re still welcome!

I grew up making video games. I sold my first game at the age of 13 and created Wing Commander when I was 21. But 10 years ago, at the height of my career I took a break. Not because I stopped loving or playing games but because I had become frustrated with the limits of the technology at the time to realize my vision.

I decided to pursue my desire to create detailed worlds and tell sophisticated stories in film.

I always said the moment I became interested in making games again was when I was going to come back.

With the power of today’s computers and the reach of the internet I finally feel I have the tools to build the connected experience that I always dreamed of. A world that would be more satisfying and richer than any film I could work on.

With films you tell stories but with games you create worlds.

If you’ve played my games, you’ll know that’s what I love to do.

I’m here to tell you that I have been working on something for just under a year, something that embraces everything that my past games stood for but takes it to the next level.

I hope you’ll be as excited by it as I am.

My new endeavor is still in its early stages but I invite you to take the journey with me.

If you register below you’ll become an insider that will not only give you early access to the game’s website and forums, but you will also get the opportunity for rewards and privileges that no one else will get. It’s my way of showing how important your early involvement and support is.

The full announcement will be at 10am Eastern Standard Time (UTC -5) on the 10th day of the 10th month of this year.

My name is Chris Roberts.

And if you would indulge me I would like to create a world for you.

________________________________________________________________________________________

The link is here (and "42" is what will get you in if you get stuck).  Go enroll and let this guy know you are interested--this is the original scfi game maker who broke all the rules and did the things no one else would.

I would pay for this game in advance without even knowing what it was.

I believe the link gives you the chance to be an alpha-beta tester for the game during the next two years.  I'd highly recommend it.

I also think it would be fantastic if Stardock and Ironclad sent him a note of support (I'm just sayin'...) 

474 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 18, 2012 11:56:59 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I think a few of the actors from way back would take the gig for a fair price today--times are hard all over.

November 18, 2012 12:58:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Oh definitely, as long as Chris Roberts doesn't break the bank to hire Patrick Stewart and kill his character off in the tutorial level.

November 18, 2012 8:12:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Since I posted this yesterday, they have added over one million dollars in new contributions by 7,000 new contributors.  Most of today their website has been down to a front page only due to the number of people camping their chat page waiting for the official start statement by Chris there in about eighteen hours.  they have already broken all records for crowd sourcing funding.

Incredible.

November 18, 2012 9:19:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

ya. I think it has something to do with star citizen being plugged on the popular webcomic Ctrl+alt+del's page.

and the end of the drive here very shortly.

November 18, 2012 9:55:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Chris is streaming a live announcement in a few hours and the people all crammed onto the live feed chat page.  Awesome.

November 18, 2012 11:24:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sinperium ... what name or e-mail address are you using over at the RSI site? I finally pulled the trigger and picked the Lancer package. I want to credit you for a referral!

November 19, 2012 12:50:05 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting boshimi336,
Sinperium ... what name or e-mail address are you using over at the RSI site? I finally pulled the trigger and picked the Lancer package. I want to credit you for a referral!

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/?rid=23671

Thanks! (if it isn't too late) That's my referral link.

He is online now on the main site talking live about it with guys from Origin and Ultima. 

Looks like they are going to hit the $5.5 million mark easily today.

November 19, 2012 12:53:06 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sinperium,

Quoting boshimi336, reply 57Sinperium ... what name or e-mail address are you using over at the RSI site? I finally pulled the trigger and picked the Lancer package. I want to credit you for a referral!

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/?rid=23671

Thanks! (if it isn't too late) That's my referral link.

He is online now on the main site talking live about it with guys from Origin and Ultima. 

Looks like they are going to hit the $5.5 million mark easily today.

I used your link but it is still asking for your user name / e-mail address to confirm that you were who referenced me.

Huh, I guess it's Sinperium from the golden ticket image above. That works! Thanks!

November 19, 2012 1:17:16 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Cool--and you have my email I believe.

November 19, 2012 9:53:30 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Entered you as my referrer as well, Sinperium, as I found out about this amazing game thanks to this thread.

November 19, 2012 11:20:20 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks for the referrals guys! (I got three).

Since I last posted they are just shy of $6,000,000 and just over an hour away from ending crowd sourcing. They also picked up 10,000 new contributors.

I am ready for mah beta!

Yeah Lavo--I just happened one nightwound think, "I wonder what Chris has been doing for the past ten years and stumbled onto the site just as it accidentally went online.  I would have HATED to have missed it.

Now Stardock can get inspired and start working on an epic SINS II.

And did y'all notice that the stand alone private server version of Star Citizen is moddable? (if you get there in the next hour there is a modder's manual pre-order for $10).

This is making it hard to focus on work.  ARGH!

November 19, 2012 12:38:44 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sinperium,
Thanks for the referrals guys! (I got three).

Since I last posted they are just shy of $6,000,000 and just over an hour away from ending crowd sourcing. They also picked up 10,000 new contributors.

I am ready for mah beta!

Yeah Lavo--I just happened one nightwound think, "I wonder what Chris has been doing for the past ten years and stumbled onto the site just as it accidentally went online.  I would have HATED to have missed it.

Now Stardock can get inspired and start working on an epic SINS II.

And did y'all notice that the stand alone private server version of Star Citizen is moddable? (if you get there in the next hour there is a modder's manual pre-order for $10).

This is making it hard to focus on work.  ARGH!

As part of the Lancer Package I get the physical hard cover modder's manual. Sinperium, we shall create epicness when this is released. I declare it! I apologize in advance for anyone else whom will miss me as I slowly disappear over the next two years.

November 19, 2012 1:29:24 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Wish I had time to play this sort of game, I would have jumped on it.

November 19, 2012 2:47:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sinperium,

I might nab the modder's manual when the site comes back up (as I can still do it at pledge prices), but for now I'm pleased with the Wingnut package I have (the Hornet was way too good to pass up on, it looks amazing).

November 19, 2012 3:20:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I am just amazed the thing worked.  It will be awesome to see it.

Final tally from the site:

Final crowdfunding numbers: $6,238,563 raised from 89,668 backers.

They will have the forum back up with old posts intact in a few days.  The Kickstarter contributors all have to be migrated over by hand so they can also access the boards "contributor only" content.

They are also going to let crowd sourcing continue throughout for those who want to join in--though they may not get all the bells and whistles of this batch.

Here's the "news announcement of the day":

The battle is over and we - PC gamers, space sim fans, WingNuts, Lancers and the rest - have won. You've not only met every goal we set, you've exceeded them. Star Citizen will be released because of your dedication and your willingness to put your money where our mouths are. Our gratitude is immeasurable; we owe you our livelihoods and will not soon forget it.

The question is: what happens next?

Our intention has always been to make Roberts Space Industries YOUR site. It's not a public advertisement for the game; it's a private community for those who are making the game happen. We want your input on what we're doing and we want to share our plans with you; the occasional passer-by doesn't concern us. The plan was initially to immediately switch on a wall that would allow only you, our backers, to access features like the Comm-Link and the Spectrum Dispatches. Kickstarter has thrown something of a wrench in this plan: we can't change the site until the Kickstarter backers are integrated, which may take up to two weeks, otherwise we would be blocking thousands of backers from participating.

Updates and features will continue, returning to a regular schedule in the next few days. The team needs a few days to collect ourselves and reform before jumping into the immense task ahead (after the last month, our husbands, wives, children and yes, pets, miss us!) We will also be launching new sections which have been in the works for some time: the Galactapedia will tell you more about the Star Citizen world, Engineering will introduce you to game mechanics that are being planned and Holovids will offer you video footage from the game as it takes shape.

What about pledges? Good news: those of you who got in on the ground floor are covered. Your ships have lifetime insurance policies and for the next year you will have the ability to purchase further tiers or upgrade existing ones at the initial prices. That's not true of everyone else: if you want to back Star Citizen and participate in this amazing community, you still can. but it's going to cost you a little extra as of now, and you aren't going to have as many extras (no lifetime insurance, for example.)

One issue which concerns us is what to do with the funding tracker. So we're going to throw the issue up to you: in two weeks, when the wall goes up, what do you want to see done with the tracker? Without the 'push' of the campaign it probably won't update very dramatically. but it's always possible it will go up enough to reach future stretch goals anyway. Should we keep it, remove it or put it somewhere else? We'll let the community decide.

We also have previously outlined the 'behind the screens' subscription plans available now. They're designed for users who simply want to give us a little extra support during the development - you're getting the whole story, regardless - but we will have some extra fun for our monthly contributors.

We can't thank you enough for everything you've done for this project. Please see the next update on 'The Pledge' for our promise to you. The next two years are going to be incredible for all involved and we're thoroughly happy that all of you are along for this exciting ride.

November 19, 2012 3:44:20 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Pay every month for a game you don't get to play yet!  Awesome!  It always astounds me how people can come up with brand new ways to take our money!

November 19, 2012 7:21:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You don't pay per month--you pay once (for life) and there is optional DLC. Everything offered via DLC that affects game advancement is possible to achieve without a purchase.

November 19, 2012 7:24:58 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Jythier,
Pay every month for a game you don't get to play yet!  Awesome!  It always astounds me how people can come up with brand new ways to take our money!

Well ... they aren't taking our money. People are giving it because they want to. Silly.

Either way, I'm excited. I think this might be the next thing that takes all of my time, vacation, and weekends. Once this gets released Sinperium and I will be finding an abandoned but nicely proportioned asteroid in an obscure out the way location ... and turning it into a base of awesomeness. Anyone else in? I call dibs on the mountain dew!

November 20, 2012 2:00:28 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It sounds like a plan.  I will have to initiate you into the mysteries of the Lamp though...all hail the Lamp.

November 20, 2012 8:51:15 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

People who give monthly get extra benefits.  Therefore, in order to have the COMPLETE experience, you need to give a lot of money up front and then money every month.  Some people will do that.  Therefore, they have created a new and twisted way to have a subscription fee even before the product is available in order to get some sort of in game benefit, like a new hat or something.

November 20, 2012 1:25:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

People who subscribe monthly to the newsletter style products get to participate in a monthly Q&A with Chris Roberts and get exclusive media features and info on the game development in advance.

They don't get "more stuff in game" than other players--they get sneak peaks of development and upcoming adds to the game.  Pay for it if you want to see it before anyone else.

Star Citizen does not have a monthly fee to play nor does it require the purchase of DLC in order to achieve DLC benefits by play rather than pay.

If by "complete experience" you mean:

"I don't want anyone to get anything I don't get and I don't ever want them to see or get it before me and even if I don't pay for it I want everything other people paid extra for as soon as they get it."

...then sure, you'll be disappointed.

Also...

News Update: companies do have to make money.  I know, it's really shocking.  Wow.

I went to a concert once and some people had back stage pass tickets and got to go to a meet-and-greet with them.  I bought a discount general admission ticket and didn't get to do any of that.  This proves that band sucks and is a greedy money machine and is ripping off their fans and that they don't care about music.  I will never go to another of their concerts ever again!*

Enjoy the silence.

*note sarcasm

November 20, 2012 1:39:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Jythier,
Wish I had time to play this sort of game, I would have jumped on it.

P.S.  If I had the cash, I'd buy you a copy.

November 20, 2012 1:49:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I forgot...regarding modding...here's a blurb from the FAQ:

How will modding work?

Players will be given full control of their game! When operating private servers, players will be able and encouraged to mod the game. It doesn’t stop there, though: we hope to institute a ‘mod approval’ process that will allow the best of the best player created ships and other additions to be integrated into the central persistent world as well.

November 20, 2012 2:16:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yeah, I'm extremely interested in the modding options we'll get.  Hopefully the guys over at Hard Light Productions decide to make some mods for Star Citizen.  I'd love to see the guys behind Diaspora do something for Star Citizen in addition to what they've done with FSO, as well as see Spoon release his own conversion for Star Citizen, not to mention the possibilities of being a free trader right after the end of the Great War with the Galactic Terran Alliance fragmented into various regional blocs.

November 20, 2012 3:00:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Here's some technical ship comparisons so far:

Ship Comparison Chart

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time: