The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Fences 2.0: Folder Portals are Cool!

By on September 6, 2012 4:29:25 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Island Dog

Join Date 06/2003
+759

In case you somehow missed it, the beta for Fences 2.0 was released this week.  Fences has been a hugely popular app and Fences 2.0 takes that up another notch by adding some really cool features.  Today, I wanted to focus on one of them that is my favorite, and that’s folder portals.

This allows you to take a folder and create a Fence on the desktop with the contents of that folder.  This is so convenience and useful for so many reasons, but being able to directly interact with a folder as a fence is just cool.  Not all folders need or can be placed on the desktop, so this gives you the opportunity to work with them regardless of where they reside on your drive.

There’s two ways to get a folder portal going.

1. Right-click and drag on your desktop like you would for a normal fence.  You will now have an option for a Folder Portal here.
  2. Right-click a folder and create the Folder Portal from there.

9-6-2012 3-55-49 PM

Windows 7 x64-2012-09-06-15-59-17

Visit: http://www.stardock.com/products/fences/beta/download.asp for more info.

Locked Post 20 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 6, 2012 5:07:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Folder Portals really is an awesome feature. (I think I've mentioned this a couple of times already)

Next step for this feature should/could be a roll-up function so one could have several portals on one desktop, without having to sort to 'pages'

Quoting ,

There’s two ways to get a folder portal going.
1. Right-click and drag on your desktop like you would for a normal fence.  You will now have an option for a Folder Portal here.
2. Right-click a folder and create the Folder Portal from there.

3. ALT+Drag a folder to the desktop to show it as a portal

September 6, 2012 5:22:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The Folder Portals is definitely one incredible feature. It certainly has streamlined my skinning projects , I no longer have to navigate through dozens of folders to find an image I'm looking for. Just a few flicks of the mouse , and boom! there it is ! Also makes finding a particular piece of music in my vast library so much easier to locate. These new improvements are just too awsome for words. Thank-you Stardock !      -- Ace --

September 7, 2012 7:10:32 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Maybe I am missing something here.  Won't a destop shortcut also give you accesss to the folder you want?

September 7, 2012 7:32:16 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting TheDude20165,
Won't a destop shortcut also give you accesss to the folder you want?
Sure it will but you have to open that folder.  Why not have it open on your desktop, but only when you interact with the desktop?

September 7, 2012 9:05:26 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Amazingly enough, you can create a folder portal that points to the desktop, on the desktop, and your computer WON'T explode.  It's crazy.

September 7, 2012 2:49:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well, to clarify a little....sometimes I don't know where a particular image is that I may be looking for, so that means I have to click on, and open, then scroll the contents of folder after folder until I find what I'm looking for. The way I have it set up now, The contents of each folder is displayed as an entire page, so basically I have about 6 or 7 pages of images that I can quickly browse by just using Alt+mouse wheel to "turn" the pages. So quick and so easy !!     -- Ace --

September 7, 2012 3:20:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting AceMatrix,
Well, to clarify a little....sometimes I don't know where a particular image is that I may be looking for, so that means I have to click on, and open, then scroll the contents of folder after folder until I find what I'm looking for. The way I have it set up now, The contents of each folder is displayed as an entire page, so basically I have about 6 or 7 pages of images that I can quickly browse by just using Alt+mouse wheel to "turn" the pages. So quick and so easy !!     -- Ace --
Neat.

September 7, 2012 4:01:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This is a great feature, and to boot it gave me the incentive to move some of the crap on my desktop into a folder in "My Documents." But still with the perfect ease of access for which I was keeping them on the desktop.

Bravo!

September 10, 2012 8:22:16 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Folder Portals, cool reature didn't know that, thanks ID!

September 10, 2012 1:32:16 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Just had the beta installed since about half an hour ago.  Folder Portals are so much better than the caveman way (having a bunch of manually created shortcuts that point to documents in the folder!) and since I can do list or details view, I can save desktop space even while I have access to the folder contents.

The shortcut keys for desktop page switching are very handy on the laptop too, as dragging my screen edge using a touchpad isn't particularly comfortable.

You guys rock!  Have I mentioned today how awesome you are?

September 10, 2012 11:06:30 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

How about network share folders, ID/Zu?  Will they 'reconnect' when you come back?  Strangely enough, I run into a lot of people who don't really grasp the ancient concept of shortcuts, why & how they're important to use in a network environment; folder portals would avoid the 'confusion'.

September 11, 2012 2:08:46 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I've used the offline folders feature in Windows 7 to work with files on my laptop and desktop.  That neatly avoids the problem of not having access to a certain network folder, and Fences 2 treats them the same as any other folder.

September 11, 2012 7:17:10 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Daiwa,
How about network share folders, ID/Zu?  Will they 'reconnect' when you come back?  Strangely enough, I run into a lot of people who don't really grasp the ancient concept of shortcuts, why & how they're important to use in a network environment; folder portals would avoid the 'confusion'.
if the network connection is made before the network connection all is well.There may be an issue with slow network connections but we are looking at that.

September 11, 2012 10:51:47 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting Zubaz,
if the network connection is made before the network connection all is well.

First spelling, now logic.  Huh?

September 11, 2012 10:55:35 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

-sigh-

If the network connection is made before the fences starts, all is well.

September 11, 2012 12:37:53 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Do you happen to know if there is a way to ensure that happens at network logon, Zu?  Or if that is the default scenario?

September 11, 2012 12:57:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It really comes down to finding out what is causing the network connection to be slow I think.

September 11, 2012 1:56:40 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I'm referring to sequence, not speed.  Network's plenty fast.  Thx.

September 12, 2013 11:47:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

And speaking of Fences, I just bought a machine with Win 8 on it and suddenly I'm having a problem with Fences only opening part of the time. I found that if I go into the Start menu and right click on the Fences entry and choose Run as Administrator it starts working again. What's up with that?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000219   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.