The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

I hate Pirates!!!

By on May 14, 2012 10:34:44 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

ImperatorPavel

Join Date 06/2010
+20

No, this is not a rant about the pirates in Sins. (It's in the wrong place for that, anyway.)

It's actually about the pirates of Sins.  I was looking at the "Breaking News" page in my online Spanish book's homepage, and found this article: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-18056727

I will note that when I was trying to find a demo version of Sins, I got lots of torrent results.  Hence, I noticed the article.

Also, on some non-torrent downloads, I kept getting installers that were about 2 gigs, which is the Size of Trinity.

So I did a quick Google search for the terms real quick, to show how bad this piracy is.

[Link removed - ADMIN]

"All will join the Unity or DIE!!!!!"

Locked Post 19 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 14, 2012 10:41:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yep, its sad. Less money for Ironclad and Stardock to make more games.

May 14, 2012 10:44:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I personally think Stardock should be happy because the article I linked to describes a system that prevents downloads, even though it could easily be circumvented.

It's at least progress in the prevention of illegally downloading games.

May 14, 2012 10:44:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Pirate free here mateys.

I just discussed this issue with my grown son last night (he's 22).  He's of the generation that believes, "You aren't stealing" when you take something digital...that it's just part of what to expect.

We had to agree to disagree.

May 14, 2012 10:47:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hypothetically it is stealing, though.  It's still intellectual property.  I could have just downloaded a cracked version of Sins online instead of buying it.  But I bought it.

May 14, 2012 10:59:03 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Something Jorge Coelho talked about in this thread: http://forums.wincustomize.com/420974/page/1/#3118711

Might be possible (not a dev/coder so I don't know for sure)... Wish that could be done to protect the hard work and investment.

May 14, 2012 11:00:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Let's hate them...but not aid and abet them with links....

May 14, 2012 11:02:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting ImperatorPavel,
Hypothetically it is stealing, though.

Oh, there's no need for 'hypothetically' in that statement .... Spell checker .....

May 14, 2012 11:19:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Jafo,
Let's hate them...but not aid and abet them with links....

May 15, 2012 5:28:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

you mean the company that might be going around ddosing p2p users?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/05/13/pirate_pay_dos_against_torrents/

May 15, 2012 6:09:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Oh!!  You mean its not buy one get one free?  

May 15, 2012 7:25:20 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thank you, Jafo, for changing that.  I had actually tought about what I had posted, and was going to delete the link, but you got t it first.

May 15, 2012 7:44:15 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Piracy is so... last decade.  There have been great strides in allowing customers to download their game and install it on more than one machine.  Now you routinely see digital downloads on sale at a price which competes with retail offers.

Apparently pirates just want to make a point of paying nothing for playing while in comparison, honest paying customers are getting shafted.  Not that the comparison is even remotely fair, it's like comparing a car thief with someone who waits for a good deal on a motor.  But while a car can be recovered and returned to its rightful owner, you can't say the same for a pirated game.

May 15, 2012 8:28:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That is all... (and yes I know we're not talking about movies right now, same deal though)

May 15, 2012 8:47:08 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I see. "The Avengers" made more money than any other movie in history thanks to the pirates. The pirates are good. They support the industry by buying tickets to movies. That makes as much sense as cats flying across the universe with rainbows coming from their tushes.

Pirates first buy the tickets, then pirate the work. No.

Pirates are criminals who steal what isn't theirs (and I don't care why). Pirates do not benefit anything. Yes.

May 15, 2012 8:56:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The reason movies make more money in their opening weekend these days is because they open in more cinemas....and at more times.

It's not magic.

May 15, 2012 9:20:12 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I saw an article (TV type) about music pirating. You would think that hard-copy would be out of style, but I digress. They burned identical CD/DVD (movies too) of the disk, made identical labels (either painted on or stick on) packaged them in similar crystals and sent them off via valid distributors who thought they were buying the real thing at an exceptionally good price (to give them credit) Since one couldn't tell the difference between products and since they played the same for the most part, by the time they wore out given to inferior materials the crime was long done.

This is one of the reasons the entertainment industry is pushing for anti-pirate laws. I know they hit one place in China pretty hard (after all, the Chinese need to placate the Yanks occasionally) It is also among to reasons that they are hitting the internet hard as well. Look at the push a few months back to intercept the law going through Congress.  What did we call that? Blackout Tuesday or something?  Same thing.

Just because games don't have the muscle that music and movies do doesn't mean they are not as affected. Several of the big companies, Turbine, Blizzard, SOE, have gone to free games with much reduced features followed by allowing the players to buy - with real money - what they want to have. They still can pay the monthly fee and get a good bit of it for free, but still have to pay for the expansions and "good stuff".  Of course, those are MMORPG. Single computer games don't have that work-around.

May 15, 2012 9:21:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That's not what I meant DrJBHL, and I'm pretty sure you know that. What I meant is that in spite off the 'billions of lost revenue due to piracy', the movie, music, and gaming industries are booming.

Quoting DrJBHL,

Pirates first buy the tickets, then pirate the work. No.

No indeed, often it's the other way round.

Quoting Jafo,
The reason movies make more money in their opening weekend these days is because they open in more cinemas....and at more times.

It's not magic.

Maybe, or maybe it is because it's a bloody awesome movie that deserves to be seen on the big screen.

May 15, 2012 9:25:59 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting LizMarr,
Single computer games don't have that work-around.

Technically they can/do.

I bought MS's FSX several years after it was released....cost was about $20 .....then felt I 'had to' get the last/best version...[FSX Acceleration] ....about $50 .....but since then I've spent SEVERAL hundreds [hate to count it all] on third party addons..... from tweaking 'tools' to addon country mapping....planes....airports....etc.

Interestingly MS gets 4/5ths of eff-all from that....just from the original game vers....

May 15, 2012 2:32:16 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Removed my example search terms, which Jafo didn't notice.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000125   Page Render Time: