The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

An Opinion On This Laptop Please

By on April 25, 2012 6:50:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What your opinion on this laptop. I'll use it for games (FE, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2) and basic video/image editing. Everything looks ok to me but maybe I've overlooked something.

15.6” FHD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1920x1080) Super Clear Matte Type Screen (SKU - S1R324)
- Sager - 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-2450M, 2.5-3.1GHz, (32nm, 3MB L3 cache) (Supports up to 8GB - DDR3 1600MHz of Ram (2 SODIMMS))
(Supports 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors) (SKU – S2R173)

- - IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
- nVidia GeForce GTX 670M 1,536MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11 with Optimus™ Technology [User Upgradeable] (SKU – S3R517)
- 8GB - DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (2 SODIMMS) - SPECIAL! (SKU - S4P369)
- 500gb 7200rpm (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache) - Default (SKU - S5R207)
- Internal 9-in-1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD/Mini SD/SDHC/SDXC/MS/MS Pro/MS Duo)
- Bluetooth Included (See “Wireless Network” Section Below)
- Sager - Built-in 802.11 Wireless B/G/N - Stock Wireless Card + Bluetooth (SKU - S8R110)
- Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
- ~Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Installed (64&32-Bit CD Included) w/ Drivers & Utilities CD's + Microsoft Office Starter 2010 - Included with OS Purchase

+8 Karma | 8 Replies
April 25, 2012 7:05:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Sounds good to me Othello. But what make is it? HP...Toshiba...Acer...Gateway....Dell....Vaio.....eMachine........

April 25, 2012 7:07:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sager.

Same brand as the one I'm currently posting on which has lasted me over 5 years so far.

My only apprehension is that I feel not too long from now 8GB RAM will not be much.

April 25, 2012 8:18:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

In its present form can it be upgraded? Add more memory, bigger HD?

April 25, 2012 10:06:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If I were to upgrade to an i7 processor I get it loaded with up to 32 GB RAM. From what I've read there isn't much difference between the i7 and i5 for gaming. The comparable speed of an i7 would be an additional $250. I'm trying to keep it under $1200. But if you know the additional cost is worth it then ill take it into consideration.

500GB HD is fine for my purposes. I figure by the time I need additional room a SSD may be cost effective.

April 26, 2012 6:12:12 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

32 gigs of ram is awesome, that together with an i7 would make it a screamer, perfect for gaming. How much ram with the i5? Another thing...IMO...I wouldn't use an SSD for gaming. Read/write is limited to 10,000 from what I've read. Good for storing the game apps but a standard HD might hold up better when gaming becomes intense. I'm hoping someone with more knowledge of this part comes along so you can get a better feel for what you're looking for so........

BUMP!

April 26, 2012 7:06:03 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

8gb of ram for the i5, which is still good plus it can be upgraded. Now to note on your SSD comment, whether it's limited it or not the performance increase in games is phenomenal in terms of loading speed etc... Just search YouTube SSD vs HD you'll see. There are many beneficial factors of SSD but also as with all good comes bad. Such as price for example they're considerably more but I think the good outweighs the bad. It's lighter in weight, many people think this isn't a real benefit but since you're using a laptop and you would carry it around it will be for you., shockproof (if you drop it, it won't damage the drive as it would on a HD) and of course the biggest benefit of all is overall speed improvement from boot times to application loading times you will notice the difference. It all boils down to loading times really that determine the benefits of SSD for gaming. My personal opinion is they're fantastic, The only downside is the small capacity. But that's why I have an extra 2 tb storage HD's. Although another option you could look into is a hybrid drive it's like storage of HD but speed of SSD. I can't think of a brand from the top of my head but a quick search on google will put you on the right track.

From the description you give, it's a very nice laptop. If you can afford the i7 go for that. 

April 28, 2012 4:45:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There was an option of a 600GB SSD for $1020. And on top of that they keep the dvd drive the computer came with. I'm sure there's someone out there who s very happy with that purchase.

Wanted to keep the laptop around $1,200 so I had to pass up on the i7.

After some research online I decided to upgrade the monitor to a: Display: 15.6" FHD 16:9 "Matte Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright LED Anti-Glare Screen w/ 95% NTSC Color Gamut (1920x1080) (SKU - S1R303)

Here's the laptop for $1,284.45:

Sager NP9130 / Clevo P151EM1

- Free Shipping: FREE!! Continental (U.S. Lower 48 - UPS Ground Only) Ground Shipping on ALL Sager Laptops (Enter Coupon Code: "SAGERFREESHIP" during order process)
  - Display: 15.6" FHD 16:9 "Matte Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright LED Anti-Glare Screen w/ 95% NTSC Color Gamut (1920x1080) (SKU - S1R303)
  - Processor: Sager - 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-2450M, 2.5-3.1GHz, (32nm, 3MB L3 cache) (Supports up to 8GB - DDR3 1600MHz of Ram (2 SODIMMS))
(Supports 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors) (SKU – S2R173)

- Thermal Compound: - IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
  - Graphics Video Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 670M 1,536MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11 with Optimus™ Technology (SKU - S3N501)
  - Ram: 8GB - DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (2 SODIMMS) - SPECIAL! (SKU - S4P369)
  - Primary Hard Drive: 500gb 7200rpm (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache) - Default (SKU - S5R207)
  - Optical Drive Bay: Combo Dual Layer SuperMulti DVDRW/CDRW Drive w/ Software (When selecting a Hard Drive in the Optical Bay, No Optical Drive is Included) (SKU - S7R455)
  - Memory Card Reader: Internal 9-in-1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD/Mini SD/SDHC/SDXC/MS/MS Pro/MS Duo)
  - Bluetooth: Bluetooth Included (See “Wireless Network” Section Below)
  - Wireless Network: Sager - Intel® Advanced-N 6235 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module + Bluetooth (SKU - S8R111)
  - Operating System: ~Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Installed (64&32-Bit CD Included) w/ Drivers & Utilities CD's + Microsoft Office Starter 2010 - Included with OS Purchase

I wonder if reaching the write limitation on a SSD is that big of a problem?

April 30, 2012 5:26:53 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

No offense, but that "10,000 writes" number above is not current-maybe that's what SSDs were 5 years ago (I haven't been following them THAT long).  Certainly it was before TRIM support.  If you look at a modern SSD on Newegg (say the 128GB Crucial M4), its MTBF is 1.2 million hours.  Even using a marginal quantity of that admittedly misleading stat, it's easy to see that it should definitely last you at least a few years.

The other thing of note is that SSDs don't fail the same way that HDDs do-any cells that fail just become read-only, and you're likely to notice a performance decrease well before that happens.  The point being, you could likely still boot the drive.

If you do get an SSD, get one from Newegg and install it yourself.  Same goes for upgrading the RAM.

I can't imagine choosing an i5 over an i7, personally.  Games and applications are only going to become increasingly more multi-core aware, and you really won't notice the drop from 2.5GHZ to 2.3GHZ (3610QM).  In fact, the 3xxx series (Ivy Bridge) reach a higher turbo speed, so it's likely to be faster even for instances where all cores aren't utilized.

Normally I'd suggest the 7970M over the 670M, but as it would put you over budget and the games you've listed aren't ridiculously demanding, I'm tempted to go in the other direction and recommend that you have a look at the 650M in the W110ER.  Unless you intend to game at 1920x1080 with eye candy turned all the way up, this is probably more than sufficient, and even then it's really only the DDR3 memory on the W110ER's version of the card that will limit it.  Speaking of which, if you want a higher resolution you'll have no choice but to hook up an external monitor to it.  For some, this defeats the point of having a laptop-but not for others.

Go ahead and upgrade to the 750GB HDD for $20 on xoticpc and you're looking at about $980.  I suppose you could instead do the W150ER with a GDDR5 650M (basically a 660M) for $1100ish, with the screen upgrade.

One last thing: Windows 7 Home Premium only sees up to 16GB of RAM.  In order for you to (ever) go higher than that, you'll need Professional or better.  But this is a non-issue with the W-series as they only have 2 DIMM slots.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000156   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.