The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Kickstarter by Titan Quest Devs - Grim Dawn

By on April 19, 2012 3:40:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wanted to throw a post up on this, because I know the Stardock crowd tends towards indy friendly, and I seem to remember a "best games in last ten years" thread where Titan Quest was mentioned a good bit.  Ending date is May 18.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crateentertainment/grim-dawn

Apparently its been in the works for a couple years, but without funding for a full time focus its been slow going.  There's an interview on RPS for some insight on it:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/03/titanic-quest-crate-speak-about-grim-dawn/

As one of my most played games of the last decade, I think the idea of another game, even if its a spiritual successor rather than a direct sequel, is great.  Hope that this will let a few interested people that might not have seen it take a look.

+8 Karma | 16 Replies
April 19, 2012 3:08:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I also noticed this and plan to give some money. I been following the development for 6 months now and was hoping they would also go to kickstarter to get money to finally finish this game.

April 19, 2012 3:21:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Looks promising.

April 19, 2012 3:26:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for the heads up. This is the first Kickstarter project I find really interesting.

April 19, 2012 7:26:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It just passed the 120k mark, almost at 50% funded!

I do like the look of this but what convinced me to back it was the reward tiers being sensible.

April 19, 2012 9:17:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Magog_AoW,
Thanks for the heads up. This is the first Kickstarter project I find really interesting.

Titan quest was great (even if it was a diablo clone).  They gave me diablo 2.5 and I'm happier for it.  1st one I'm considering supporting

April 21, 2012 10:20:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Just over 50% funded now!

April 21, 2012 12:22:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah, I'll probably support this one.  I played a hell of a lot of Titan Quest.

April 21, 2012 1:17:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Even if you only put up $18, you get the finished game for that contribution.  Seems like easy math to me anyway. 

April 21, 2012 1:30:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I had some reservations due to the Titan Quest connection.
I found TQ rather bland and boring, never-changing button-mashing without any challenge whatsoever. Uninstalled it during the 2nd world / act.

Then I got talking with one of the GD devs who had basically the exact same opinion!
The plan is to make Grim Dawn more "involved", so it actually matters what active skills you use.
Within reason. Not all classes will be so dependant on active skills, creating actual diversity in gameplay.

They just don't make these kinda games any more.

Grim Dawn and Nekro (another underrepresented genre) are starting to look very much awesome.

April 21, 2012 2:39:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I found titan quest a little bland as well, but it was essentially diablo 2.5 with much improved graphics over the original diablo 2.  That's exciting to hear that they are on the same page re:blandness and I'm sure they'll make more than a few improvements.  Thanks for the fyi re: chatting with one of their devs!

April 21, 2012 2:52:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Ratatosk7,
Looks promising.

Indeed! They've just added new goals. These guys seem to know what they're doing (I cannot say this about every Kickstarter project). 

April 21, 2012 3:40:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ok, contributing now. I was just having a Grim Dawn vs. Diablo 3 debate with a co-worker, so I kind of have to do this.

May 5, 2012 4:21:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Just a quick bump up for anyone who missed it when this first went live.  They have a bit under 2 weeks left, looks like they'll hit their original goal, although they've already posted that they hope to make the initial game larger if they can go significantly over their goal.

Its still a bit out before it would go live, so if you worry about being ARPG overloaded, you'll have a bit of time to play the Diablos and Torchlights before it'll be out.  /ends fan sales pitch

May 17, 2012 11:26:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I finally got around to support this project. It has only hours left but it is fully funded and more. Still some more money will let them put in new cool stuff so I would suggest anyone that planned to support them but forgot to go do it NOW!

May 24, 2012 10:13:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This game is starting to look like Diablo3 should have been. All I can say is it looks awesome!!

May 26, 2012 1:14:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Really happy to see that it is fully funded now!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000907   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.