The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Does Stardock have plans to make Gal Civ 3?

By on April 15, 2012 12:39:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hi guys, just throwing this out there to the community - have there been any announcements that Stardock is planning to make a Gal Civ 3? I did a quick web search and IGN stated that Stardock is making it but it's in a very early development stage - if so, that one totally passed me by. Can anyone provide a link to any official announcement by Stardock? I'd be particularly interested in anything that hints at an estimated release date - I'm guessing that something like this wouldn't be released until about 2014 in any case - perhaps this is what Jon Schafer is working on?

+3 Karma | 29 Replies
April 15, 2012 12:45:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Don't count on it. You can bet that after FE's expansion it will be on the table. Probably will use the same team they have now and the same engine. It will be a long time off though. And there may be an RPG game that comes out first. I think they want to wait on the 3rd installment until everyone is using 64bit so that the game can reach its full potential. 

April 15, 2012 3:14:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm not positive Kumquat would work for the kind of 3-D map Galciv3 would most likely be.   Galciv3 would probably be closer in look to Sins of a Solar Empire.  You can see in Sins that it had to have been originally designed for truly 3-D maps, and then they had to scrap it and go 2-D (but leave the 3-D graphics engine in).  I would be very surprised if anyone architected Galciv3 and did not intend it to have truly 3-D galaxies.  At least, in the very early stages.

April 15, 2012 3:29:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I must disregard your assumption. There is no logic to it. You may want it to be 3D, but there is no indication that it will be. 2D is best for TBS and they already have the perfect engine for it. 

April 15, 2012 4:51:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hello, it's outer space.   Space is 3D.  Galaxies aren't exactly laid out in pretty flat 2-dimensional grids.  Stars go up, down, sideways....    If anything has no logic to it, it's laying out outer space in 2 dimensions.

April 15, 2012 5:18:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Of course I am aware of the 3D nature of space, but it can be represented in 2d fairly well. We have been doing it for decades. Unless Brad specifically says that he wants to build a 3d engine for a space TBS, there is no reason to think it will happen. I would love it if it did happen, but I have no reason to think it will. He has said that the current engine could easily be used to make a space TBS game. Hint hint...

BTW, Sins represents its systems in 2D. 

April 15, 2012 5:24:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Galciv2 was kumquat!

April 15, 2012 5:25:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'd love to see if there is an updated roadmap from SD at this point.  Can't remember if the last roadmap was before/after the impulse sale.  Might have changed things a bit.

April 15, 2012 5:35:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Frogboy announced that there will be an Elemental RPG. (I'm curious if this is the project Jon Shafer is working on.) I think GalCiv 3 is more distant than close, so to speak.

April 16, 2012 12:22:58 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So we got Elemental FE and maybe another expansion, Elemental RPG, Society, GalCiv3, Jon will most likely have his own dream game to make at Stardock and probably others they haven't told us yet... I can't believe I am saying this but I hope they hold GalCiv3 off for another 3-5years... I have my reasons.

April 16, 2012 1:10:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

RPG* not RTS

April 16, 2012 1:28:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

GalCiv3? Where can I pre-order?

I also would buy another expansion to GalCiv2 first, also if it just mainly was mainly about bugfixing and polishing what was left in a sad state with Twilight of the Arnor. That being said, while I would love to see improved eye-candy for GalCiv3 engine wise, there is absolutely no need for real 3D universes.

April 16, 2012 2:40:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

lol that slipped (fixed) sorry my hands don't always do what I want them to do. 

April 16, 2012 4:36:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Has it been 5 years since Twilight?  Brad said after Twilight it would be at least 5 years before anything would even start, and the WOM issues probably added some more time to the clock.  I think it happens, but not until late 2014 at the earliest.

That said, with Brad's talks about what he doesn't like about GC2, and Derek's design- I can see GC3 having high potential to be a classic.

April 16, 2012 4:42:58 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Give it another few years yet

April 16, 2012 8:15:33 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Alstein,
That said, with Brad's talks about what he doesn't like about GC2, and Derek's design- I can see GC3 having high potential to be a classic.

I think I missed Brad talking about what he doesn't like about GC2 - where can I find this?

April 16, 2012 10:14:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting MisterAedan,
I think I missed Brad talking about what he doesn't like about GC2 - where can I find this?

You're best bet is a forum search, it wasn't in its own thread.

April 16, 2012 10:17:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I can't remember the exact aspects he didn't like, but he did say before that GC2 is not a classic, but WOM is.   Obviously the marketplace disagrees.  That's got to be tough when what you like in a game and what the rest of the world wants are two different things.

IMHO some aspects of the economy were a little screwy.  I didn't care, personally--it's a game.  Things like the population had no bearing on the productivity of the planet, the taxes were a function of the square root of the population (??), and production had to be matched with 1bc of cash; those were a bit screwy.  Ships' defense was screwy.  Fleets couldn't defend planets.  That's what I think stardock might not have been entirely happy with.

What I would have liked, personally, are more planet tiles types and more fleshed-out invasion tactics.  And I like planetary bombardment, but I think there should be a limit on how much bombardment can do, which increases with technology and decreases with planetary defenses.  Kind of like how in Civ4, a catapult could only do 15% collateral damage, but artillery could weaken it by 50%.  And I think your placement of improvements on planetary tiles should matter, e.g. a factory surrounded by 4 other factories gets 20% output increase.  Galciv2 was kind of a free-for-all--you would just randomly click on a tile to put anything anywhere.

April 16, 2012 1:55:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The biggest problems I have with GalCiv2:TA are the scale and time issues. The distance between a planet and its sun is not equal to the distance between two suns. I would much rather get rid of the stars altogether and just show planets. And 1 week per turn is a little off for the time scale. It should be 1 month at least. The only real problems I had were the ones I couldn't mod out. The others were temporary problems. But it is still to date the best space TBS out there thanks to the wonderful AI.

April 23, 2012 4:04:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm willing to bet I'll be 40 (am currently 35) well before GalCiv3 comes out.  (I wouldn't mind being wrong, though!) 

April 24, 2012 11:44:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

*wonders how we get an answer out of Brad (who actually knows)*

I'm considering sending terrible pies to his office until he fesses up.  Or perhaps 3 day stale donuts once a week.  Oh, he'll cave in eventually.  Especially when the tags all read "from Brad - enjoy!" 

April 25, 2012 11:06:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Brad's current response... 

April 26, 2012 12:35:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

pacov's response - 5 DAY OLD DONUTS for Stardock - courtesy of your boss, Brad. 

April 28, 2012 4:08:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Let's go to Detroit and demand Galciv3.  Occupy Stardock movement. 

Bring your sleeping bags.   And your laptop--I want to play some Sins while we're there.

April 28, 2012 4:37:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

tetleytea- You might get better luck in Plymouth.

April 28, 2012 5:02:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Plymouth is basically the Detroit metropolitan area.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000312   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.