The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Auto detecting graphics settings and things slightly haywire(Solved)

By on April 5, 2012 6:01:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My computer information:

Intel Core i5 CPU 750 2.67ghz x4
8 gigs ram
Windows 7 64 bit
ATI Radeon HD 4600 series(graphics card)

So I'm not sure what exactly is going on. I tried playing Civ 5 today and the graphics were a bit off. SWTOR's graphics were also off. Plus my desktop display is slightly bigger than it should be. Text seems a bit off in various things as well. And videos viewed on netflix are less clear. This happened today. I haven't downloaded any files or changed any settings. Not 100% sure if anything updated, but maybe adobe flash player? But would that affect everything else? I mention this because under control panel - system and security adobe flash player is labeled 32bit, not 64bit which my computer is running. Under control panel - system and security - system, the information says its running a 64 bit operating system. Shrug.

So far I've tried adjusting the resolution, restarting my computer, reinstalling the graphics card drivers, and uninstalling the graphics card drivers and reinstalling them. This obviously has not worked. The drivers are the latest available.

Is there a way for the computer to auto-detect the best settings for your computer(in case mine somehow got off?) Maybe a program I can download to do this or something that already comes with the operating system? Any other suggestions or ideas?

+8 Karma | 8 Replies
April 5, 2012 6:16:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Are there drivers available for your display? Go to the manufacturers website for the monitor you are using and see if there are drivers for it, or if drivers came with your monitor, as did my Acer, reinstall them.

You might also try disconnecting and reconnecting the monitor.

April 5, 2012 6:59:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,
Are there drivers available for your display? Go to the manufacturers website for the monitor you are using and see if there are drivers for it, or if drivers came with your monitor, as did my Acer, reinstall them.

You might also try disconnecting and reconnecting the monitor.

I was fairly sure my monitor did not come with software, but I double checked the website. It did not. However, according to them my monitor's optimum resolution should be 1600 x 900, but the monitor tells me this setting is out of range. I think it was set to 1600 x 900 before, and today for some reason went to 1440 x 900 and obviously will not go back. : /

April 5, 2012 7:04:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The reason your flash is 32 bit is because Adobe only recently released a 64 bit version and more than likely, you are using a 32 bit browser.

Have you tried restoring your computer to a time that you know it was working well?

April 5, 2012 7:17:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Before I try a system restore I'd like to try something else first, I have a slight update to the problem.

Slight update, no solution: Exploring my monitor's company's(ASUS) website I am told the proper resolution for my monitor is 1600 x 900, and I'm fairly sure this is what it was before. However, today it decided to run at 1440 x 900 and if I try to change the resolution I am told on the monitor screen that this is "out of range". The companies forums are riddled with adverts for various medications. I tried putting in a help request, but I do not have much faith in this and their phone lines are mysteriously down for maintenance. Googling has not produced any results so far in my searches either.  TY for any assistance!  The Monitor is an ASUS LCD flat screen 20" VE 205N model.

April 5, 2012 7:40:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

A thing or two to try. (Grasping here, but easier to try than a system restore.)

1: Diconnect and reconnect the monitor while booted up. Then disconnect it while shut down, reboot, then reconnect.

2: Try a different PC to monitor cable.

3: Check your settings on the monitors display set up. See if there is a reset or default setting there.

April 5, 2012 7:55:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So I had tried disconnecting the cord from the CPU, but not the monitor. Once I unplugged and then replugged the cord into the monitor everything was fine. Ta da! So simple...

April 5, 2012 8:10:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting TheBirthdayParty,
So simple...

Simple is always good, it's what I do best. 

I'm glad you got it sorted out and thanks for adding (solved) to the OP.

April 5, 2012 8:28:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,
Simple is always good, it's what I do best

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000156   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.