The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Multiplicity 2 in development

By on April 3, 2012 2:59:19 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

As you may know, Multiplicity is a program that lets you take your various laptops and PCs that you have nearby and combine them together as a single computer. It’s a great way to increase how much power a given user has available to them. Pretty much everyone at Stardock uses it, particularly the art and development teams.

There’s been some great technology coming out of the Multiplicity 2 project.  One of which was released as a stand-alone program – Acoustic Bridge.

It’s still some months before Multiplicity 2 will be ready but there’s some pretty exciting things coming for it.

Locked Post 21 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 3, 2012 3:26:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Will there be a charge for this new version?

April 3, 2012 3:51:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Given how long ago MP 1.0 was released I would imagine we would have an upgrade fee yes.

April 3, 2012 4:01:38 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Coolness. Love to hear more about the new feature set.

April 3, 2012 6:10:18 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Given that I did away with my linux desktop system recently, I very well might buy MP2 when it comes out.

But the worry is, I may switch back to linux once the Windows 8 preview expires. If that happens, I'll have to leave MP2 behind and switch back to Synergy. I would love to be able to use MP with linux. I'd even take Synergy server support tacked on so that the linux box could run Synergy Client to connect to multiplicity.

Acoustic Bridge seems to be a great idea, and would replace one of the cables I have going between my computers right now...

April 3, 2012 6:23:02 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Here's a question about Acoustic Bridge. How well does it work with videos that need to be synced up to the sound? Is there any lag introduced?

April 3, 2012 6:24:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I would like to make my PCs share their computing powers. It would be so cool!

April 3, 2012 6:30:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Cool. Multiplicity was one of my first SD apps. I would guess I have been running it for ten years. It is a "must have" for people who have several computers their are dealing with at once.

Now, how about a VNC or display in display app next? 64 bit OS is a royal pain to get to use a lot of apps. VNC is not one that will run (that I can tell)

April 3, 2012 8:07:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Kazriko,
Here's a question about Acoustic Bridge. How well does it work with videos that need to be synced up to the sound? Is there any lag introduced?

Naturally there is a slight delay due to network travel time and buffering, but this is kept to a minimum.  The delay is typically in the region of one or two frames of video and most monitors have input lag of at least one frame anyway.  In my testing I have found it to be unnoticeable.

On a wireless network the lag would be greater of course depending on the speed and quality of the wireless link but again this isn't a huge delay as local networks do not need as much buffering as sending things over the internet.

There is a demo of Acoustic bridge to try if you want.

May 2, 2012 3:58:44 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Will there be support for OSX and Linux? That's what prevented MP1 from being really useful to me in my software developtment setup.

May 2, 2012 4:54:44 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Whats the difference between multiplicity and mouse without boarders?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/next/archive/2011/09/09/microsoft-garage-download-mouse-without-borders.aspx

May 2, 2012 5:13:58 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting JohnJames,
Whats the difference between multiplicity and mouse without boarders?

Stardock and Microstuff. I'll go with Stardock. (They don't do Metro)lol

May 2, 2012 5:23:11 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Uvah,

Quoting JohnJames, reply 10Whats the difference between multiplicity and mouse without boarders?

Stardock and Microstuff. I'll go with Stardock. (They don't do Metro)lol

Mouse without boarders is clean and very easy to use and setup. It was a side project that someone did to meet his needs.

May 2, 2012 5:25:09 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Another question, if we buy Multiplicity Pro now, would it be a free upgrade to Multiplicity 2, or should I just keep using Synergy until MP2 is released?

May 2, 2012 6:51:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I hope you address the issue of ctrl-alt-backspace not working on a secondary system that has UAC turned off.

May 11, 2012 8:52:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Uvahreply 11Quoting JohnJames, reply 10Whats the difference between multiplicity and mouse without boarders?Stardock and Microstuff. I'll go with Stardock. (They don't do Metro)lol   Mouse without boarders is clean and very easy to use and setup. It was a side project that someone did to meet his needs.

What I like about Mouse Without Borders over Multiplicity is that I can control all PCs FROM all PCs. Not just control others from the main one. and you can lock all from one.

May 12, 2012 12:31:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Looks cheaper than a KVM switch.   Just slightly....   I won't be able to use it because my multi- setups are Linux or heterogeneous. 

How much of the networking does it assist with?   Can I have an 8-port switch with 8 ethernet cables dangling out...plug stuff in...boom...I can control them all?  How much of the Windows networking discovery does one have to know?   Can I route through gateways? 

July 19, 2012 5:57:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Just got my beta invite, and I love it.  

Easier to set up, and the audio streaming works very well.  I'm on gig-e though, so YMMV.

Thanks for the great work guys! 

July 23, 2012 2:56:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting evan3,
Just got my beta invite, and I love it.  

Easier to set up, and the audio streaming works very well.  I'm on gig-e though, so YMMV.

Thanks for the great work guys! 
Awesome!

July 23, 2012 3:32:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Cool, I hope Michael Keaton is in this one too.  That dumb clone of a clone Michael Keaton cracked me up...wait...what are you talking about?  

July 23, 2012 5:22:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,
Cool, I hope Michael Keaton is in this one too.  That dumb clone of a clone Michael Keaton cracked me up...wait...what are you talking about?  

His best, right after Mr. Mom. Having said that, the plot of Multiplicity 2 doesn't really look that compelling.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.