The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Wing Commander Saga: Darkest Dawn (free) Release Date 3/22/12!!!!

By on March 13, 2012 9:55:09 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

http://www.wcsaga.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N1w9Xw0j0I

Info for my fellow Sins players and old geeks like me..........

+19 Karma | 13 Replies
March 13, 2012 8:54:58 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

How sad to bump yourself........

March 13, 2012 9:04:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hmm... never played any of the Wing Commanders before. Will give this a shot then.

BTW should have put it in PC gaming.

March 13, 2012 10:08:58 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Thanks, wbino.  And +1 karma.  

I loved the Wing Commander series way back when and even got the Freespace2 Open Source sequels.  It's been a while though and I'm not familiar with the WC Saga.

I'm looking forward to checking it out.    

March 15, 2012 11:29:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

WHOA!!!! Dude GREAT looking out on this. 2 days before my birthday too!!! The Wing Commander series was the first truly great space fighter sim. The fact that YOU actually changed the story with your actions and it was represented in the missions and how the war played out was amazing for it's time. Man I can't wait. Time to go buy a new flight stick.

March 15, 2012 11:35:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Looking forward to checking this out!

March 17, 2012 1:04:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

March 24, 2012 12:25:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

http://www.wcsaga.com/

I played the first few missions, and it looks like a pro development team polished product. Amazing...

March 24, 2012 4:58:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

One of the best give-aways I've seen in a long time.    Thanks for the link........

April 21, 2012 6:06:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I have to say this looks great and I am downloading it as we speak.

April 22, 2012 5:40:10 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I hear it does not incorporate all the latest graphical improvements for this engine?

April 22, 2012 9:03:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

That's correct.  The Wing Commander Saga team forked their code a little while ago (meaning they now have a separate code base from FreeSpace 2 Open), and since then soft particles, thruster distortion, and framebuffer shockwaves have been added to FreeSpace 2 Open, along with experimental builds that contain shadowing, not mentioning the various fixes and code optimizations that WCS has missed out on.  WCS has also removed useful features from the engine such as custom launch flags and the mainhall ship model viewer, and it also is not compatible with the standard launcher used for FreeSpace 2 Open, requiring their launcher which has greatly decreased user options compared to the standard FreeSpace 2 Open launcher.  They've also added very few features FS2O doesn't have, so general consensus on the forums that host the FS2O Source Code Project is that their code fork was pretty useless since their engine doesn't do much for either them in terms of features or you in terms of options.

April 22, 2012 11:30:30 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

DLing now... very cool. Last time I played any WC was when I downloaded Secret Ops, so kinda cool I am doing the same thing now over a decade later.

April 23, 2012 12:29:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Darn...I'll bet I wish I still had my tricked out joystick for this.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000188   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.