The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Start8 Also Simplifies Windows 8 Shutdown

By on March 6, 2012 10:31:13 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Island Dog

Join Date 06/2003
+759

A big annoyance for me with Windows 8 is that it takes multiple steps to simply shutdown or restart.  In Metro you have to sign out, then slide the lock screen, and then finally have the shutdown button.  That’s quite a few steps just to shut off your PC!

Start8 brings the start button back to Windows 8, and in doing so it also simplifies the shutdown process.

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Just right-click the start button and you can shutdown from there.  Simple.

3-6-2012 10-22-25 AM

Windows 8 Consumer Preview-2012-03-06-10-24-35

Locked Post 16 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 6, 2012 10:45:24 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

That does simplify things a bit. Imagine you want to turn off a light but first you must get up, lock the doors and windows, pull the shades down and then insert an ID card into the light switch and hope it works.

March 6, 2012 2:53:01 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thank You.

Loaded up and working.  At present there dose not appear to be any problems.

March 7, 2012 6:43:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Nice options. Glad Stardock is bringing back the desktop experience instead of Microsoft forcing us to a tablet interface.

The only options I have when right clicking on windows 7 start button is properties and to open windows explorer; Which looks like is missing from your list?

You can get a similar shutdown screen on windows 7 if you press alt + F4 from the desktop, does that work in windows 8?

March 7, 2012 7:07:03 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Nice plus!  First time on 8, I took 3 or 4 minutes trying to find how to shutdown...lol.

March 8, 2012 8:27:08 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Burntcrispy,
The only options I have when right clicking on windows 7 start button is properties and to open windows explorer; Which looks like is missing from your list?

Properties just shows the Start menu options, so that's not necessary.  Explorer, well, that's easy enough to add to the taskbar as a shortcut, I guess.  I never even knew it was there until now, I just use Winkey+E.

Quoting Burntcrispy,
You can get a similar shutdown screen on windows 7 if you press alt + F4 from the desktop, does that work in windows 8?

Yes.

March 10, 2012 9:01:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I don't understand your problem???

There are THREE ways to shutodown Windows 8. Why would anyone want more?

All options:

1. ALT+F4 on desktop

2. Charmbar (or win+c), settings, on/off, shutdown

3. Log off and use the menu

March 10, 2012 9:54:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jones111,

Pour a bucket of water on the 'POS' ...

March 10, 2012 10:12:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,
Pour a bucket of water on the 'POS' ...

"Pour" ?     Pore.  

......so their....

March 10, 2012 10:15:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You go Doc!!!    Really, go....now, please.  

March 12, 2012 7:56:38 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jones111,
1. ALT+F4 on desktop

Awkward key combination, and not available unless the desktop is in focus (meaning not available in Metro or if you have any windows open)

Quoting Jones111,

Too many clicks/mouse movements, and the charmbar is awkward to show without the keyboard.  This is the best option right now, but it's too much.

Quoting Jones111,

Takes too long, having to wait for the log out, then get rid of the welcome screen, THEN shut down.

These may seem nitpicky, but when my old option was "Winkey, Left key, Enter" (which could be done in less than a second, and with my eyes closed), or "Click, then click two inches to the right", anything more than that, especially when it requires the mouse, let alone as much mouse travel as it does, or requires that the desktop has focus, then it's enough to want an alternative.

March 12, 2012 8:11:52 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Rosco ....the bucket....and it leaves no prisoners....

March 12, 2012 9:01:45 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jones111,
I don't understand your problem???

All options:

1. ALT+F4 on desktop

For you and many it may be easy and I can also do it as is. However not sure you underrstand the people in the real world that only know where the button is to turn the computer on and off, click on a icon to bring up Internet Explorer, and check mail. Don't even try and show or tell them about using another browser other then IE. They don't even understand when you try and explain over the phone. So when they are stuck it means I have to run to my sister's and friends. Also you want some real fun? Go to a senior center every 6 weeks and try to teach these nice people how to do these things and then shut down the computer. Try to show them how to get out of Metro and to the desktop. All I can say is forget it as simple is all they can understand.

So for many of these people who will have to get their first or a new computer after 8 comes out I welcome stardock for making the Start8. Who know the final version may included it. As many great technicial people as their are there are still many more people that don't have a clue and try and use a computer.

I'm not against progress and a new OS but keep some of the things simple and understand not aneryone really knows how to operate a computer. These are the same people that can't use an iphone and only use one that makes and receives calls. So if you wish to down anyone that wants some of the easy features put into 7 then that is your right. So I thank Stardock and anyone else that comes up with something that makes working with 8 more understandable to the millions of people in this situation.

March 12, 2012 9:06:46 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,
Rosco ....the bucket....and it leaves no prisoners....

I'm sure my boss would be fine using this method on my work computers.  I'll just tell them you suggested it.

March 13, 2012 10:28:00 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Just when they'd finally, finally, figured out how to do shutdown logically in Win7.  There's somethin' in the water in Redmond.

March 13, 2012 11:26:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Rosco_P,
Quoting Jafo, reply 11Rosco ....the bucket....and it leaves no prisoners....

I'm sure my boss would be fine using this method on my work computers.  I'll just tell them you suggested it.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000266   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.