The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Mass Effect 3 - is it any good?

By on March 6, 2012 9:50:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I tried to play ME 2 and i got bored in a middle of it, particularly by mining stupid planets. 

I was not really impressed by the story, but to say the truth i find almost all stories boring after playing so many years - for good stories i read good books  

Thus, is ME 3 in any way different? Better? Great? 

(interested mostly in opinions of experienced players)

+2 Karma | 53 Replies
April 7, 2012 11:05:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I think your enjoyment is going to depend on how much attention you pay to the details.

The game has quite a few plot holes, contrivances, and things that don't make much sense. A lot of them are small things but there are a few pretty big plot holes.

I think the quality of the writing really began to decline noticeably with "The Arrival." That was just a terrible nonsensical DLC and it was a terrible idea to have ME3 follow it.

April 18, 2012 8:50:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The game itself is good, the gameplay is great and balanced.  I wouldn't let the "ending" put a huge downer on my overall experience but I was left more wondering what stuff really happened and what it all meant.  The Multiplayer is great, I don't usually like MP in games since I am an RPG nut, but it's really fun to play.  

In regards to "Arrival", it makes sense to me to have it follow since the reapers are behind schedule on eradicating some life forms.  IE the collectors didn't get the job done.  It gives the player a sense of urgency.  The reapers aren't just out there in dark space.  It's on.  They're moving towards Earth / Council Space with haste.

Kind of wished more ME2 folks were squad mates and not just cameos/war assets. 

April 21, 2012 11:18:24 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The problem with "Arrival" is that it's based on a huge plot hole and the story just makes no sense.

The Reapers always hide their existence. They try to eliminate all evidence of the cullings so that no one can ever be prepared for it. Heck, a large part of the first game was about Saren trying to prevent Shepard from uncovering the secret of the Prothean Beacons and learning about the Reapers. In fact, without the Prothean warning, no one would know that the Reapers existed.

So why would the Reapers intentionally leave behind an artifact that not only reveals their existence but also gives information on their secret invasion plan? It just makes no sense and runs completely counter to their goals.

The character motivations also make no sense. So Dr. Kenson has been indoctrinated and wants the Reapers to come through and conquer the galaxy. Then why did she reveal that secret to Shepard, someone she knows will try to stop her? Why not just stall Shepard for the two days it would take for the Reapers to come through and then try to indoctrinate Shepard after the Reapers have arrived? Considering how everyone on the asteroid had been indoctrinated, why didn't they work to dismantle the thrusters to prevent the risk of the Alpha Relay from being destroyed?

I think the biggest problem with everything in Mass Effect starting with "The Arrival" is that they emphasized emotions at the expense of logic. They basically wrote the game to make the audience feel certain things but just didn't care if it actually made sense or is consistent with previous lore.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000156   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.