The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Planescape: Torment

By on March 1, 2012 4:12:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Planescape: Torment has held my interest longer than BG 1 & 2 and IWD 1. Which is surprising when some dialog trees are longer than chapters in books and, in general, video game's stories are shameful. Very compelling.

If anyone hasn't played it I suggest you do. And I suggest you stick with it for a few hours then it'll really wrap you up.

Please no spoilers. I'm only at the beginning of the 100+ hour adventure.

+8 Karma | 7 Replies
March 5, 2012 5:39:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah those games are awesome. I recently bought IWD 1 & 2, and Planescape as well. I still have to finish up BG 2 before I start any of those though. Definetly some of my favorite games, it sucks that all we get now is Dragon Age.

March 5, 2012 5:57:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

PS:T is one of my favorite games of all time. So was BG2. Deus Ex (the first) is possibly my most favorite. I was never able to finish any part of IWD.

March 8, 2012 2:28:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You don't sit at a table and plan "let's do a weird game like PT!" 

I still don't understand how a game like that was even conceived. But I'm glad it did. One of the few true, uncompromising masterpieces of the gaming era. 

Must play it again, someday. 

March 8, 2012 2:31:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Because it was based on an existing D&D campaign setting of Planescape that had a lot of books and rules and lore about it.

All they needed to do is come up with a story, and make that world come alive.

March 8, 2012 3:07:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I loved both this video game and the old Planescape, back in AD&D 2e.  I always recommend this game to people, and it's so cool that you can go to GOG and get this game, and others like Arcanum there.

March 11, 2012 5:43:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I find the graphics actually help the immersion. Similar to Jaws, the lack of visual representation of, say, the lady who cuts, splits, cracks your body open and you're left with a loot pile of a ring and your own intestines is left up to your imagination. Turning off the tv, really getting into the game and you start to imagine the details in vivid detail.

It'll be well into 2012 before I finish the story but I'm already excited to give the other games a go.

March 11, 2012 5:30:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah I was an AD&D player too.

I actually purchased something of the Planescape setting, but it was too weird and I couldn't imagine how to play a campaign with it. It got shelved. Not that I had the chance too continue playing for long anyway, real life took that kind of gaming away. 

Anyways, years later Torment was released and it blew me away.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000203   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.