The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Windows 8 Consumer Preview

By on February 29, 2012 4:34:37 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock ForumsExternal Link

Who's excited?  I'm excited.

I love the idea of the Metro UI to remove distractions and make computers more efficient (suspended apps will be taken off the CPU scheduler and most likely the video resources will only be in virtual mem).  It was a little awkward on the Dev Preview but that isn't what the CP will look like anyway.

Storage spaces is probably my favorite feature they've talked about so far.  I'm not sure I want to ditch my Win7 install yet though, but it probably won't take long using 8CP before I do.

I do wish ReFS was in the client builds, but it doesn't sound like it will be.  (At least in the final OS...don't know about the CP.)

I definately like the plugin free browser idea too.  Most of the time you browse they're unnecessary anyway.

Otherwise it's mostly just more efficient, and I can't argue with that!

+11 Karma | 196 Replies
February 29, 2012 2:18:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Nice video from LifeHacker:

February 29, 2012 2:18:34 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'm back online, sweet.

Is it time to make an 'I have the power' joke?  No?  No, it never is.  Oh well.  Consider me pretending to have said something funny then.  I'm sure that'll work.

Meanwhile, in Minnesota, downloads are being prepared...

February 29, 2012 2:52:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Zubaz,
things are still in a huge state of code flux at Microsoft, we're not there.

Understood. Thank you.

February 29, 2012 2:59:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Zubaz,
huge state of code flux at Microsoft

That sounds logical, Windows 8 is a very fluxed up looking OS.

February 29, 2012 3:00:10 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting Zubaz,
Think of the Metro UI as a SUPER STAR PANEL!!!

You'll be fine.

Your boss is not as sanguine.

February 29, 2012 3:29:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What the Lifehacker video can't show you is what it's like when you're trying to do work on it.

For instance, load up say Office or Photoshop and a Metro app. Switching between them is a huge pain in the rear. 

You launch everything from Metro and then have to jump back to the desktop experience.  

I hope no one is missing the irony that the Metro examples are...widgets.  It would be like if every DesktopX widget required you to go to a full screen DesktopX environment rather than trying to exist alongside your existing desktop.

When you use Windows 8, you can see they got a lot of things right and then they blow it by trying to force desktop users into using their PC like it was a tablet.

February 29, 2012 3:29:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

From the video I saw, i'm having mixed reactions with Win8.  Seeing some the desktop improvements I wasn't expecting, but Metro still sucks A$$.  Do you really need to take up a whole screen to see the weather?  For smartphones that's fine, but for PCs, you could just opt for a DesktopX widget instead.  You don't even need 100 pixels of space to see what the current temp is outside.  But I do like how you can uninstall an app without launching the control panel.  But...it's still the clunky, flawed Windows uninstaller we're dealing with here.  I have IOBit Uninstaller on my machine, and i've never looked back to Add/Remove Programs.

I still hate the minimalist interface, even on the desktop and I hope that there will be a WindowBlinds 8 on the horizon sometime soon.  The interface (especially metro) looks SO 1995.  Even Windows 95's interface could look like Win8's, completely devoid of any eye-candy whatsoever.  I've noticed that even Aero's min/max/close buttons are looking more minimalist than in Vista and 7.  Is Microsoft trying to appeal to the 65+ crowd?  I'm in my twenties, and I demand a fancy, modern, colorful interface that's all over the place.  Even Vista's version of Aero was do-able, but still boring.  But Win8 has THE WORST UI since Windows 95.

I did download the ISO, but haven't launched it yet, so my rant may of been premature.  I'm still gonna run it for myself.  I just have to, despite how sucky it looks.

February 29, 2012 3:35:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

And the deal where you drag open apps into the desktop from the left screen edge....forget that when using dual monitors and Multiplicity or Mouse Without Borders....what a pain!!

February 29, 2012 5:54:36 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Can Metro be nerfed in such a way that all you have on it is the Desktop tile, yet still use and retain all windows functionality from the Desktop? (that includes bringing back things like, taskbar, notification area and start menu.)

If the above can indeed be done, then i guess it wouldn't be so bad. There a few features in there that look quite handy. The new file copy dialogue and the ability to mount from explorer will be highlights i'm sure.

I "could" live without the start menu, you could put alot of the start menu's links into a dock, but without a taskbar, how does one manage your open folders and programs? Tiles? (SD version) Or are all open programs and folders managed from Metro?

I too have been downright disgusted in win8, but under the skin there do seem to be some improvements that i would use. The UI though, will keep from enjoying them.

Metro just looks messy.

February 29, 2012 6:27:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
February 29, 2012 6:35:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Holy crap....

What a (in)complete mess.

February 29, 2012 6:38:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The idea of switching from say Word to a weather widget that is running 2560x1440 is baffling.

And let's keep in mind, most of the UI involves moving from the bottom left (or top left) to the top right (or vice versa).  

They should have let the WIndows phone team design this. They knew good UI.

February 29, 2012 6:38:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I've been way too happy with W7 to even consider upgrading. Especially after watching the video.

Looks like a boon for tablets and phones but that's about it. I'll hold out for version 9

February 29, 2012 6:59:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Okay, i'm running the Win8 Consumer Preview now.  Even in desktop mode, they're dumbing it down.  Why is Flip3D gone?  Now it's just a vertical version of Alt+Tab.  And when you do Windows Key+Tab, you can't go back to what you're currently running.  You have to go to something else first before going back to your original window.  Why on earth do we need two Alt+Tabs (the classic horizontal and the useless new vertical one)?  I liked Flip3D.  It showed that Microsoft still cared about eye-candy back during the Vista-era.  But now it's about running an interface that my grandma would like.

Another thing I really liked that MS (almost) took away is custom icon sizes in explorer.  Now we're limited to just a few different icon sizes, and nothing in between 128px and 256px.  Most of my folders on my host machine are between 128 and 256px because 128's too small and 256 is too big in my opinion.

However, I do like the new ribbon, so not all hope is lost.  And the "up one level" button is back.  Vista and Seven made it difficult to navigate on upper levels in the folder hierarchy.  So at least one feature from XP is finally returning.

Windows 8 could REALLY use some UI customization right about now...

February 29, 2012 7:05:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting VistArtXPosed,
Windows 8 could REALLY use some UI customization right about now...

W8 could use consistency, and some uniformity along with a way to get from metro to regular non-tiled programs.

This is the most counterintuitive OS ever produced.

It'll make Apple rich(er).

February 29, 2012 7:13:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The old task manager still exists.  And so does msconfig.  Just use the Run Dialog hotkey (Windows Key+R) and type their respective names, "taskmgr.exe" and "msconfig.exe".  So it appears you can still do stuff the old fashioned way.  I just did "services.msc" and it brought up the list of services.  So without the start menu, you'd have to be more of a power user to get around to the same stuff you could do right from the Start Menu from older versions of Windows.  A step backwards indeed.

So why are there two versions of Task Manager as well?

February 29, 2012 7:17:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Consistency is what kills them. 

That is what makes this such a train wreck.

Let me live in the desktop OR live in Metro. Don't have me jumping around two totally different experiences and usage paradigms.

February 29, 2012 7:27:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

So, why doesn't Microsoft take the smarter route and make two different main versions of 8?  A PC and Moblie Version, instead of integrating everything into one product?  The desktop part being for PCs, Metro for mobile devices, and to share some (but not all) features across each platform.  Why would mobile devices such as smartphones need a Desktop Mode anyway?  You'd have to constantly scroll, and you wouldn't get anything done.  While Metro for PCs is nothing but a clunky, single-tasked app that won't allow PC users to switch between applications easily.  At least they could of allowed Metro apps to be run WITHIN desktop mode in it's own window, but NO...it has to take up the full screen.  PC versions could come in two flavors, Home and Pro, and mobile devices would come with just one, Mobile. 

And what's with the "hybridization" of everything these days?  Instead of products being great at one thing like in the good old days, they have to be half-arsed at many things.  That's explains Windows 8 in a nutshell.  So far, i'd rate Windows 8 a 3 out of 10.  It's disappointing, but it could of been worse.  Kudos for the ribbon UI in desktop mode.  That's about the only great thing for Windows 8.

I really hope that Windows 9 will fix these issues and become a great product once again.  But I doubt it.  By 2014, 2015 (when Windows 9 should be out), PCs won't be the dominating computing platform, and either Windows will shift into the tablet/smartphone market (and rid of the Desktop entirely), or die off.

February 29, 2012 9:19:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I doubt they'll die off, be reduced in numbers yes but that's when laptops and desktops switch over to what they do best. No i anything is going to beat either one for sheer power. Size does matter.

February 29, 2012 10:06:30 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting VistArtXPosed,
So, why doesn't Microsoft take the smarter route and make two different main versions of 8?  A PC and Moblie Version, instead of integrating everything into one product?  The desktop part being for PCs, Metro for mobile devices, and to share some (but not all) features across each platform.  Why would mobile devices such as smartphones need a Desktop Mode anyway?

I don't believe the mobile version will have a desktop mode at all.

Also as I understand it WinRT (which stays in the Metro interface) is meant to replace Win32 entirely.  In time, thats a lot of legacy baggage out of the way.  Win32 started in Windows NT/95, for reference.

February 29, 2012 10:28:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Anyone found the dual boot tool?

February 29, 2012 10:48:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It's almost like the idea for this train wreck, as Brad calls it (and very well), was born when someone at MS said 'We need more apps for our Windows phones so we can make them popular and also profit 30% from the work of others via a Windows store, just like Apple are doing now with their App store! How can we do that?' and someone else replied 'I know! Let's force all the thousands of Windows developers to make apps for our phones! Just make desktop Windows a big phone UI!'.

And everybody clapped at how clever and devious they were.

February 29, 2012 11:22:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

This may be a little off topic, but I remember how excited I was to buy Windows Vista when it first came out.  I bought it the first day it came out, and this was before the world realized how clunky, slow, and buggy it was.  Yes, Vista was a resource hog, but at least it was far different from XP, which I was tired of using at the time.  I loved using Aero at first (before I bought WB), and the fact that I could resize Windows explorer icons all the way up to 256px, adding even more eye-candy.  Vista was pure eye-candy at the time.  But now Aero is growing stale and boring, and we need a freakin' new interface Microsoft.   And I don't mean Metro. I can't believe that Vista's been out for over 5 years.  And it died in just 2. 

And now, there is just no hype for me whatsoever for Windows 8.  Even if Windows 8 was free, I probably wouldn't use it very much.   I wasn't excited for Windows 7 neither, mostly because it resembled Vista too much.  But Vista was a radical change from XP, especially in the eye-candy department.

February 29, 2012 11:27:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Edit: guess that was an older preview. bleh..

March 1, 2012 9:26:22 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2012/02/getting-started-with-the-windows-8-consumer-preview.ars

I have to laugh at the article title - 'Old dogs, get ready for new tricks'

hahaha

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000156   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.