The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

How's one supposed to learn this game?

By on January 15, 2012 12:10:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Paksoi

Join Date 12/2011

There's no manual, no tutorial, barely any games going in the lobby, all the old hands have neither patience nor tolerance for new players aaaaand... Nah this pretty much covers it, what in the world were the developers thinking?

I think it's a shame as the game looks stunning and the engine feels really slick but i can't help but feel that i've been had.

Locked Post 6 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 15, 2012 1:07:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Actually, the Demigod forum can be construed as the manual.

Having said that, read up on your favorite demigod, grab the mod package download, play a few Skirmish games against the Hard Enhanced AI.

When you get comfortable, start joining a few online "n00b" games, and you're on your way.

January 15, 2012 4:52:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I see, well then so be it.

Thanks for your help, much obliged.

January 15, 2012 6:05:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Even though its not highly exciting, you really need to play in multiple new player games to get a good feel for the game.  One inexperienced player very often makes the difference between winning and losing - that's why you often get the cold shoulder from folks in lobbies if you join a game for mids and >.  Anyway, here's what actually happens in practice.  You start hosting or joining new player games.  You get more experience.  You start to get to know folks.  Eventually they get to know how you play and what to expect (eg this guy buys the things we need for the citadel, this guy feeds, etc).  After doing that for a bit, you eventually start seeing the same people over and over and you eventually are welcomed into more and more games.  For instance, if you and I were pals and I feel confident you are a solid player, then you'd be able to get into a more experienced game - even if your stats were bad because I'd tell everyone you are a solid player. 

Anyway, that's just how it goes.  I'd recommend playing some against the AI to get familiar with all the mechanics and Demigods.  Then I'd start hosting new player games.  Hopefully before too long you build up a rhythm and find yourself getting welcomed into more and more games. 

re: the attitude toward new players by folks that have been in the community a long time - well, you are generally correct here.  Some folks are certainly kind and helpful to new players.  Others can be complete crap heads.  I'd just make sure you stick to joining either all welcome or new player games for a bit.  You put the time in, you'll get better and those same folks that wanted to kick you from their team will be lucky to have you as a teammate.

January 16, 2012 3:50:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Trust us,

pick a nice DG you like from start, play with him against AI.

There isn't much to be wrong at start.

Play a few easy AI games.

then go read a bit on that favourite DG

Use DDemigod wikipedia -

http://demigod.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_items

And links are there to go to Demigods.

After you play a few AI games, go for noob games.

Most traffic in multiplayer in lobby (Skirmish internet, not pantheon) is usualy EU evening hours.

There is hardly longer waits to play.

And its GREAT fun!

January 16, 2012 4:14:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wow, that's actually  a lot of feedback.

From the sound of it the community is just fine judging by your respones, it's still bizarre this information isn't simply available ingame, at least to a basic extent, but i'm willing to let it slide on acount of it's sexy looks and motion picture worthy soundtrack.

Having said that i'm juggling learning this title and blood bowl, which allso demands a fair amount of study (though that one does feature a tutorial and a reference to a manual) as i treated myself to both during the christmas sale on steam.

The hard AI is certainly giving me a run for my money so i expect to be entertained for some time to come.

Thanks for your help.

January 17, 2012 6:09:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Please come back in a week and tell us how do you like game and community now.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000484   Page Render Time: