The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

DG understanding levels

(somewhat controversial)

By on December 25, 2011 12:57:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

OMGIN1

Join Date 12/2011
+5

That's DG theory (based on practical experience, of course). If you get an urge to comment with: "I'm gonna pwn you pathetic Sedna with no items and no brains, lololol n00b", please don't bother (:

In my opinion, there are three levels to understanding game dynamics, in ascending order of difficulty and rarity - player's level usually correlates:

(I) A tactical (fighting-game) level. Being able to put your guy's/girl's abilities to good use (correct skill timing, knowing when to chase and when to back, etc.) in any given combat situation. Typically, that's the level of understanding which distinguishes mids from noobs. [High mids also don't run from an allied Sedna/BS QoT even if the UB is after them and stay under the tower and attack in such situations instead of trying to run to the crystal, thus giving the UB the free kill.]

(II) A synergetical level. Map awareness (porting in), adapting to a matchup (e. g.: Sed and QoT fight Erb and Rook; Sed should always re-lane to face Erb, QoT should always re-lane to face Rook to achieve the best results). This level of understanding is usually reserved for pro players.

(III) A strategical level. A non-stop aggressive structure pushing is the single most important aspect of the game, as is flag control. If there was something I've learnt from many games with ppapanek, it's this. To my surprise, even extremely good players with superb map awareness often lack in this department. The only Western players who are 100% in this respect are pacov, nnnils, and - I do recall it very clearly - Nomilarac. The curious thing is, there are players that have better map awareness that those I named, and probably are also better tactically (well, not in nnnils' case). Still, in my experience, in skilled games, push/control orientation always pwnz kill orientation. 

Locked Post 6 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 25, 2011 10:39:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A non-stop aggressive structure pushing is the single most important aspect of the game

The problem is that its cheesy. You're condoning full minion Oak builds here - in fact, you're saying that if you're Oak, and not playing full minion Oak (unless against crazy AoE comps) you're not playing top level. 

And, I s'pose, if there was actually money in this game you'd be right: play to win. 

Same thing with an Erebus. A pro erebus can pretty easily force their opponent out of EXP using batswarm + mist in combination with good timing. It's the same reason why JTreads are so popular in high level games. 2v3 on one side? JTreads to portal and force a TP, JTreads out. 

The fact of the matter is, it's annoying to play against, and it doesn't make you friends. Back when demigod "pros" basically only played with another, doing that kind of bullshit was annoying and just made everyone mad. It's not because we, as a whole, lacked the skill or awareness of the viability of these strategies. If you did that sort of stuff every game, people would literally just stop playing with you. 

December 26, 2011 12:51:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ah, so you are basically saying many players do not push towers etc., thus voicing their protest vs spirit rush? (: Excuse me, but this thesis seems rather doubtful.

As a side note, I don't really see anything bad in using Erb (or J-Treaded Oak) mobility + safety to paralyze enemy flags. Comparing it to playing full minion Oak is very radical, IMHO.

The usual high level Western approach: score a lot of kills and you will be all right. Surprisingly, you won't. If you've played vs Koreans in high level games, you know what I mean. They manage to apply that non-stop pressure I advocate without resorting to cheating tactics (speaking of which, there is exactly one I'm aware of, and even that is almost universally fixed nowadays by a small mod included in, eh, Pacov's Package). There are some great Zen+nnnils vs ppapanek+Rin 2v2s that illustrate my point.

December 26, 2011 2:28:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

well no, I was assuming you weren't completely retarded and if I quoted the first sentence of a paragraph you'd be able to understand that I was addressing that point in general. But I guess you are, I'll be sure to be more clear in the future. 

I'm saying that there are many players that have the mechanical skill and game awareness to do that kind of stuff. Way more than the three you were listing. The most ironic part of what you were saying is that Nomiralic himself actually stopped playing Erebus just because of the mist + batswarm portal cheese. 

Not to mention, with the existence of JTreads (esp in 2v2), it's very dangerous to walk across certain parts of the map without both enemies in fog of war. 'Cause there is a lost portal (or a portal trade, which depending on your team comp doesn't always work out well for you). 

December 26, 2011 3:29:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

well no, I was assuming you weren't completely retarded and if I quoted the first sentence of a paragraph you'd be able to understand that I was addressing that point in general. But I guess you are, I'll be sure to be more clear in the future. 

To formulate your thoughts in a clear way is a bon ton and, as such, is generally advisable, hedgie (: To assume a role of the Condescending Master (which is all you do on these forums whenever and wherever you chime in), on the other hand, is a mauvais ton and should be avoided. A pity such trivial things must be explained in detail.

Way more than the three you were listing.

I probably started to play when all the others were already retired. It's just that some of the undead come back to haunt these forums with their brilliant thoughts from time to time (:

December 26, 2011 5:45:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If i learned one thing, don't argue with hedgie lol

December 26, 2011 5:51:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Heh, there is a certain wisdom in that (:

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000078   Page Render Time: