The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Game laggin as hell

By on December 18, 2011 11:20:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Skull_753

Join Date 12/2011

Hi. I just got this game a few days ago and I can't belive how unplayable this game is. If I join someones host i got lag, spikes and delay. If I create the game, things get worse. How is even possible to play like this? I have no conecction issues with any game

Locked Post 11 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 19, 2011 3:21:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

in the score menu that pops up in game when you hit tab, check pings and sim speed. someone you are playing with, or possibly yourself, may not have a setup that is capable of running the game on the settings they are using or possibly at all. a high sim speed is good, but the game will slow down on everyone's machine to match the sim speed of the player with the worst so if johnny has a -1 sim speed, that's the speed you're playing at as well.

December 19, 2011 3:55:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting EntropicSoul,
so if johnny has a -1 sim speed, that's the speed you're playing at as well.

yup - there are several factors.

1. Ping - the lower the better.  I've played as much as 350 ping with little to no lag.  350 should be your absolute max cut off (if someone joins your lobby and has 500 ping to you, ask them to leave)
  2. upload bandwidth - the more players, the more bandwidth you need.  you can find out your upload speed at speedtest.net
  3. sim speed - 0 or a negative number generally means that a person is running the game but does not have a good enough computer, etc.  This is why when you see catapults and giants come out that the game can lag a bit more.  Sim speed can be resolved (by the person with the low speed) often by lowering video settings, have less running, etc.  This should only be happening on low end pcs. 

December 20, 2011 2:23:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

While there is the odd connection issue, and while it may indeed be somewhat worse than the average game, most problems are caused by people's bad internet or shitty computers.

December 21, 2011 6:06:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

who plays with high settings and have no lag?

December 21, 2011 7:50:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting TheThorns,
who plays with high settings and have no lag?

I have...

December 21, 2011 9:46:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have a question. Why no one even bother looking at techinical suport?

December 22, 2011 5:14:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Skull_753,

Hi. I just got this game a few days ago and I can't belive how unplayable this game is. If I join someones host i got lag, spikes and delay. If I create the game, things get worse. How is even possible to play like this? I have no conecction issues with any game

Go to speedtest.net and post your result here.

December 24, 2011 6:39:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I alrdy did, and I managed to control the lag. Its all about ping. 300 is my limit for 4x. 1x with someone with 400 lags me. So I should avoid them at all costs

December 24, 2011 3:29:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah, I saw your result in another thread and also replied to one of your posts regarding ping

December 30, 2011 5:13:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Skull_753,
I have a question. Why no one even bother looking at techinical suport?
I do. 1920x1080 16Q AA, simspeed 10. It's not hard to have this game run at full settings if you have a higher end gaming rig.

December 31, 2011 10:13:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

its not entirely ping. I have played games with 3 or 4 or 5 all above 400 ping and it's a little slower but not laggy or spikes. The game has an internal lag anyway, so up to 300 makes no difference at all. In peer to peer the BIGGEST thing that will lag games is everyone's speed. Don't confuse that with ping. Ping is relative to distance between servers and the time taken for a signal to send then return. What's important is how much data can be sent at once. It's like traffic on a highway - one lane = one car at a time. Lots of cars trying to merge into one lane will have to stop and wait one at a time.

Except for dial up and mobile network, most download speeds are fast enough. The biggest killer in this game is upload speed. How many signals your pc can send to the other 5 players in the game at once. Ping is important because over 450ms you are delaying the game by some 0.15 or more seconds every time the peer2peer games sync.

THEN if you have a router and or a firewall, and you don't allow exceptions or port forwarding these will block and even slow traffic, causing more problems. I've played games with 45 ping 1v1, and because of upload speed of the other player the lag was worse than 2v2 with 3 pings over 500.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000281   Page Render Time: