The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod Basics Compendium for Newbies

By on December 17, 2011 5:52:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Morgwyr

Join Date 12/2011

Since the game is getting a huge influx of new players, I figured we could get together and flesh out some of the lesser-known and  undocumented parts of the game. I've learned almost everything I know about the game from word of mouth, or just figuring it out on my own, and in an effort to ease the learning curve I'll compile it here. 

Feel free to add to it in the comments, I'll edit this in the future and compile it in the main post. 

Note: After beginning this, I realize I'm going to have to put a LOT more time into it. I'll post and add in sections a time permits.

Online resources:

http://demigod.wikia.com/wiki/Demigod_Wiki

Replays: http://www.gamereplays.org/demigod/replays.php?game=51&tab=popular&show=index&tab_new=upcoming&display_mode=standard

Any of the replays labelled v1.30 work with this client. The older version won't, so don't try. 

Put the replays in C:\Documents and Settings\(your name)\Demigod\Replays\(your profile)

Then open the replay through the main menu of the game, the replays tab. 

I. MOBA Basics/How to Play

Demigod is a MOBA type game (read: Action RTS) If you've played any games like DOTA, or LoL, you should know exactly what I'm talking about and you can skip to the more general sections like Beginner's Demigods and Favor Items. 

MOBA gameplay typically revolve around a tug-of-war model until the late game. The tug-of-war is based around the game's creeps, or grunts, the tiny soldiers that constantly spawn and traverse the map. Watching the push and pull of these creeps, the individual waves of which will be referred to from here on as a creepwave, is ESSENTIAL to being successful at any MOBA. The creepwave is the single most important aspect of the MOBA in that it determines your experience and when to push. 

Demigod is a different take on MOBAs. Warscore, and flag along with their bonuses, change the game a bit. Always try to have at least one flag; flags increase warscore which determines the level of Citadel upgrades you can get. 

II. Demigods Overview

Note: Generals are typically harder to play than Assassin type Demigods. Any item builds in this guide are targeted for Assassin types, since Generals starting builds are a little different. 

I'd recommended Torch Bearer and unclean beast for beginners. 

• Torch Bearer: Great beginner Demigod. Squishy at first, but does a ton of damage in the mid game. 
  • Unclean Beast: All around good DemiGod. Leveling spit and movespeed makes for a high damage, very mobile character, perfect for the Demigod beginner. 

III. General Item Insight:

HP Items are king. Get enough mana to push whomever out of your lane (or push towers) and stack up those HP items. 

A lot of items in the game are useless. Don't even touch the Ring tab or the Gauntlet tab until you've played a bit and want to branch out. Gauntlets serve no purpose unless you want to do hella damage all the time, and leave you squishy all game; the Ring items are situational at best. 

IMPORTANT NOTE: Items stack! This means, you can have 2 breastplates and 3 helms, and they all stack. Almost NEVER sell your starting items unless you need the slot for a better item. Some games I'll still have my Banded armor, even with my haulberk and 3 helms. 

1) General starting build; this'll give you some extra HP and Mana and some much needed regen to stay in lane. 

• Banded Armor (500g)
  • Scaled Helm (550g) note: you'll have to wait a second for your gold to tick up

2) After this, your next item choices will depend on if you need more HP or Mana. This could depend on your DG, but try to fix whatever you happen to be running low on. 

• Unbreakable Boots (1500g) is a great pickup also, a needed boost in hp and mana for early-mid game. 
  • For Mana: Plenor Battlecrown (1500g) or Vlemish Faceguard (1750g). I like Vlemish if you have a lane partner; Plenor gives mroe mana so if you find yourself needing a burst of mana with less regen get that. 
  • For HP: Haulberk of Life (1750g) is a good and cheap pickup, for 1750 a decent amount of HP and regen

3) This is your basic gear that should last you to mid game. After this, focus on making sure you have your Citadel upgrades (Currency 1 and 2) and perhaps even saving for minion upgrades. However, if you have more cash than you can handle (especially if you're winning) then these are great late game pickups: 

• Groffin Warplate (5200g) Decent HP and hella armor. 
  • Vinling Helmet (3300g) This, combined with Vlemish, should fulfill all your mana needs. If it doesn't you can get this:
  • Hungarling;'s Crown (6500g) Expensive, but worth it. Excellent mana and regen, with a -25% mana cost AURA. Helps you and your team. 

IV. Favor Items: WTF should I pick? 

• Blood of the Fallen: First item you should buy. Gives you some much needed HP early, as well as some regen. There are other favor items that do well, but if you're new like me this is what I'd recommend. 

• Dark Crimson Vial: Perfect for Rook to stay in a lane while making a tower farm. This was the second item I bought. 

Pinned, Locked Post 30 Replies +3
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 21, 2011 11:50:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just sayin... currency 2 is a decision that folks in top level games make.  Orion is MOSTLY right.  80% of the time its a bad investment.  However, it can be a good investment in top level games (eg the games where there are like 1-2 deaths tops until extremely late game).  In that case, cur 2 can be a good idea if you are a character like sedna and going full support.  But again, this is really just supposed to be a post for basics of dg.  Orion certainly has it right. New players should pretty much never get cur2. 

December 22, 2011 1:46:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes. Basically, there are two conditions to getting Cur 2: (1) your team is strong and skilled; (2) the opposing team is strong and skilled. Which means no one will feed in particular, and the game is going to be a long one. Again, there are some very good players that constantly get even Cur 3 (and I'd be hard-pressed to name a game where it could possibly pay off, except some tourney-level 3v3s).

January 1, 2012 4:08:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think cur2 only if you're on a killing roll. Get 2 or 3 kills on them early and you've got your basic hp/mana build then maybe cur2... but remember if you bought sigils and robust pots instead then you're more likely to avoid death in the field and push the enemy off farming.

No point spending 3k on cur2 if you're going to be pushed back all the time for regen and miss out on the farm gold eh. As rook or OCulus a robust pot or two can earn itself back because you farm the shit outta those creep waves and push your enemy back denying him the same. The more of your creeps that get wasted on towers. the more behind the enemy gets.

January 6, 2012 5:01:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've won every game where gold2 was purchased... BUT usually it's not purchased unless we're a few kills ahead already and game is pretty much decided (and we got the 3k to splash around carelessly). Gold2 is more to put the final nail in the coffin for them.

January 6, 2012 10:36:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I love puting final nails into their coffins.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000187   Page Render Time: