The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Stardock Friday Mega Stream
Sep 3, 2016 10:33

Stardock will be doing Let's Plays on its latest games starting at 11am with Soren Johnson (Civilization IV designer) playing Offworld Trading Company through Brad Wardell (designer of Galactic Civilizations and Ashes of the Singularity) playing Sorcerer King: Rivals and Ashes of the Singularity in the afternoon.

Subscribe to: https://www.twitch.tv/stardock 

• 11am: Offworld Trading Company
  • 2pm: Sorcerer King: Rivals
  • 4pm: Ashes of the Singularity Multiplayer

Feel free to hop in and ask any questions.  Brad is the CEO of Stardock and Soren is the CEO of Mohawk Games.

pacov's League of Legends general discussion thread - strategies, etc

By on November 29, 2011 1:07:18 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

pacov

Join Date 02/2008
+183

I've locked/archived this thread/blog and have started a new discussion over here:  https://forums.demigodthegame.com/454943/

Please join me if you like.

Am I streaming

Well, I started a thread  back in August (http://forums.joeuser.com/411269/) that's seen a lot of activity and actually had quite a few good bits of information for new and old players alike.  I figure it's time to start a new thread and perhaps keep the OP up-to-date with useful information, etc.  Feel free to use this post for any LoL discussion, etc.

Super fast background:  I played a lot of Demigod as pacov/cheesuscrust.  Back in August 2011 or so, I started getting heavily involved in LoL and folks have been kind enough to chime in with tips and links to various sites that have been quite useful to me.  In addition, I've been able to keep up with folks that I've played Demigod with in the past and meet some new folks that play LoL and frequent these message boards. 

Here's some of the things I've learned in the previous thread:

New Player tips

• Play the tutorial.
  • Consider picking up the starter bundle.  It's 530 RP (that's about $4).  You get 8 champs unlocked, a 4 win IP boost and a 10 win XP boost.  It's a pretty good deal (used it recently on an alt account).  You can find it in the game store under bundles.
  • Riot gives you 400 RP as soon as you hit level 5.  It's enough to buy some skins, a boost, or a cheap character. 
  • Learn to last hit!  Last hitting is simply landing the last hit on creeps.  If you last hit, you get gold for that kill.  The number of creeps you have killed is tracked in a value called CS.  You can see this number in the top right hand corner of the ui or by pressing tab.  Here's a really simple tutorial re: last hitting if you are brand new - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LheiRB76x5g
  • Read some guides on any character you want to try out.  The recommended builds (what you see when you go to a shop) are not optimal.  The guides include item suggestions and skill orders.  These are very useful in learning decent ways to build characters
  • Use the rune combiner to get level 3 runes prior to level 20 if you like.  You will need 375 IP.  Buy any tier 1 rune that costs 15 IP.  You need to purchase 25 of these.  Click on your rune page.  In the bottom right hand corner there is a button called the Rune Combiner.  If you place 5 runes in there, you can get a random rune that is 1 tier higher (eg if you have 5 tier 1 runes, you will get 1 random tier 2 rune.  Anyway, the math works out such that you spend 375 IP ( buy 25 tier 1 15 IP runes) and you get 1 completely random tier 3 rune.  Some of the quintessences are 2k IP, so if you luck out and get one of those, you just won the lottery.  You can always keep the random tier 2 rune if you end up with something good and don't want to trade it out yet.
  • Consider setting aside IP for tier 3 runes (available at level 20 and above).  You can't purchase them with real money - only IP.  Keep that in mind.

Great site I visit every day for LoL related news - http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends

pacov's misc info

Here's a guide I made

pacov's Guide to Improving at League of Legends and Moving Up in Elo

k - so I'm just going to put down some of my thoughts.  I'm not amazing at this game, but I do certain things that improve my odds of winning in ranked and so far its panning out just fine (bronze 5 to gold 5 in about a month or so).  We all have varied skill levels, so some of this might be useful and some not.  Caveat complete.

Prerequisite- you need to know how to play every single role.  You don't have to be a god at every single role (more power to you if you are - I'm certainly not).  You need to be able to play at a serviceable level in every single role and excel at least at 1 role (preferably 2).  In my case, I'm good at support and adc.  I'm not great, but have serviceable mids and jungles and so so tops.  Knowing what you are good at and bad at is very important.  If you don't know, I can probably tell you - but you really should know...  Anyway, you need to have enough champs to make solid picks in any role and you need to be able to cover any role if it comes down to it.  I'll talk about how to get better at specific roles in a bit.

Champ select advice - Don't be the "fill" guy unless you really feel like you are awesome in all roles.  Call your preferred role immediately when you hit the lobby.  Say "adc pref."  Do this as soon as you hit the lobby.  Some people believe that if you call a role you magically get it.  This is stupid, but if you call something out, folks will often accomodate your request.  If you are feeling wishy washy for whatever reason, call out multiple roles in order of what you want to play - "adc/mid pref."  In my experience, you generally do not want to call support.  It's a very important role, but you want to be in a position to carry every single game if possible.  If you aren't calling out a role, you are hoping that other players can carry you.  If you are hoping that folks will carry you, you don't deserve to win.  You need to know your best roles and you absolutely should request them.

Solo or duo in ranked? - Well, my 1st thought here is that you should solo.  If you solo, you have to rely on yourself.  IMO - its a much bigger test of skill to play solo and win than to duo.  Do you want someone to carry you or do you really want to know that you are actually good?  That said, provided you have the right duo partner, you can increase your odds of winning quite a bit.  The simple math is that instead of having 4 teammates as unknown quantities, you only have 3.  If you have a good duo teammate, you know what you can expect.  When you duo, you get the most bang for your buck by having complimentary roles.  Support/adc is good; jungle/mid also works.  Even if you don't have direct symmetry in roles, if you are an amazing mid and I'm an amazing adc, our odds go up quite a bit if we both get those roles.  Our odds go way down if we can't get those roles and are forced to play out of positions that we are weaker.  For example, Bryff is a good mid.  If he duo's up with me, the only way he will get to play that role is for me to call mid, take it myself, and then put myself into a position like support where I can't carry out of (I'm always 1st pick, Bryff is always last pick when we duo)... that and I have to show the mid I'm picking at the start which means Bryff gets hard countered.  In short, we can expect that we will be a disadvantage when duo queuing.  Now, if Bryff queued up with someone at a lower elo than himself that was solid, he'd likely be 1st pick and be able to get mid and have a better chance of carrying the game.  Anyway, you need to keep in mind where you end up in pick order when duoing if you aren't looking to go adc/support.  If you want that, you can usually get it. 

How do you get better in roles that you are not good at? - Well, here's what I do.  And this is really what I do on a regular basis.  I think about what I'm good at and what I'm not good at.  For instance, I realized that I don't play any hyper carry ads.  So, I read up on hyper carries like vayne and kog maw.  I look for guides on how to build them (most adcs are the same btw ), I look for vids on how people play them (eg how do I all in with a specific champ - is there a combo - when do I all in - what's the best way for me to burst - how should I behave in lane with this champ).  Then, I fire up a custom game and try out the mechanics of whatever champ vs AI.  Usually I learn a few tricks during that custom on how to position myself, etc.  Then, I'm off to normal games where I'll request the role or character I'm trying out.  Now, people still report your for being awful in normals, but it really is where you need to try out characters to see if you are any good or not as the bots are useless for proving your skill level to yourself.  So, fire up that normal and ask to play a role (again - after you've tried out the champ against bots).  If you don't know anyone you are with and you are quite awful, I suggest muting everyone at the start of the game.  Then, do your best.  Continue with this until you feel like you have a serviceable skill level in whatever role.  And keep in mind what you need to work on.  For me, I noticed I didn't really have alot of mids for ranked, so I started practicing some with gragas against and karth.  That way, I'll be able to get the job done if I need to play mid.  The next thing I need to do is put more time into being better top lane. Again, because while I prefer adc/support, I might need to play top for the team.  So, best to be ready for it.  Put your time in and practice roles. 

One last thought - there are certain things you can generally expect in ranked.  1 - if you are 1st pick, you generally can call whatever you want.  Common knowledge, I'm sure - but I'll add - CALL WHATEVER YOU WANT.  2 - if you duo queue, you generally can lock down both adc and support.  It works best if your adc is 1st pick, ofc.  I've bumped into like 10 random dedicated supports in all of my games of LoL.  People generally aren't going to call support. So, if you are 1st pick and duo'd, just call adc and then your duo partner can almost always get support.

Lol King profiles for ranked tracking

I'm not going to update this regularly, so just consider it a snapshot (I'll add a date when I update them).  Anyway, I enjoy seeing folks progress through ranked and keeping tabs on that sort of thing from time to time. 

Snapshot updated 05/28/2014

Character guides

Mid Ziggs by cow - http://www.lolking.net/guides/7906
Locked Post 5007 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 3, 2012 1:00:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

thx for the games.  I posted a short vid commentary from a ranked game on the youtube channel covering a moment when vlad dc'd.  I'll get some other content up when possible.

I'd wager most folks enjoyed us doing in house SR games tonight.  We'll continue that trend and switch to aram if it becomes a request.  Thanks for the games.

I will likely NOT be on tomorrow for games and will hopefully catch up with you all in game on Sat evening.  Night!

August 3, 2012 1:38:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Me and Thunder had some ranked games tonight. We won all three but I had to go super carry kog in the last. That last game was epic and I wish there was an easier way to share replays with LoL. I went jungle in one game and we duo'd bot the other two. 

August 3, 2012 8:43:30 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting OMG_ZEX,
That last game was epic and I wish there was an easier way to share replays with LoL. I went jungle in one game and we duo'd bot the other two.

What's difficult about sharing a replay, cow?  You can just click a button to upload them in lol replay, right?  Or barring that just upload it to box.net.  I'd be interested in seeing that last game if you get around to posting it.

August 3, 2012 11:56:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I probably wont be around for a few days. Got a busy weekend. 

August 3, 2012 3:41:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Super Carry Kog?  Thpppth!  Uber Hyper Carry Kog O' Doom!  Hope your and Hedgie's backs don't get too sore from carrying my sorry ass up the elo ranks.

Re: In House Games

I think we should be a little more patient with getting people's TS3 setup so they can at least hear us instead of rushing into games.  I mean one of the major positives of getting these games together is having voice communication with your team right?  So why are we going to rush into a game without 1-2 people on one team being able to hear?

August 3, 2012 4:04:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Thundercles,
I think we should be a little more patient with getting people's TS3 setup so they can at least hear us instead of rushing into games.

I'm all for waiting, but if I remember right, we waited like 10 minutes for one person at least.  Anyway, this should be a nonissue soon anyway - and fair enough.

Uploading another new vid now.

August 3, 2012 5:04:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ok  -3 new vids in total - 2 are up already.  1 is pacov - best jungler na

August 4, 2012 2:01:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I very much enjoyed the fail alister jungle and invade videos. I guess it does take some sort of skill to play jungle ali? 

August 4, 2012 2:34:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I am such a consumer whore... Had to get the new cho skin. I already have two one of which is Gentlemen Cho. I love cho though! 

August 4, 2012 6:47:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_ZEX,
I guess it does take some sort of skill to play jungle ali?

heh - it's actually pretty easy early game imo.  We just had quite the cluster that snowballed pretty quickly.  My opinion only, but if jungle ali isn't spot on early, then you are kinda boned unless the enemy team makes some major mistakes.  Both of those fail vids were from the same game.   Glad you enjoyed my awfulness at any rate

I'm back in town and will be free in a bit if anyone is around, etc. 

August 4, 2012 6:56:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

random nerd news - people bitched and bitched about riot renaming lux's ultimate.  That led to the following thread where you can vote on yet another new name.  pacov declares nerd war... http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2436855

For folks modding ANYTHING in lol

There has been a little hype associated with this stuff because one player claimed they were banned for moddifying files and said they never did.  Also folks mod files like recommended item builds, etc

Here's a copy paste of a copy paste re: some recent posts by riot on their forums

While the [1] full article is available over at Surrender at 20

, here is the red post recap for 8/3:

Also, [9] PBE had a small update

including bug fixes and a few balance changes. [10] Reign of Gaming

reports the changes as :

Alistar

• Headbutt now deals 55/110/165/220/275 damage instead of 85/130/175/220/265 damage.

Zyra

• Base movement speed has been reduced to 300, down from 310. Rampant Growth - Extra plants striking the same target now deal 50% less damage. (Up from 25% less damage.)

Here's some news about a recent DC hack that riot has yet to respond to:  http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=27819735

Darius is getting changes to make him less annoying to play against, etc:  http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=27793697#27793697

August 4, 2012 7:55:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

made a really good vid - will upload it later.  It's clips from an in house aram game where karl was blitz and jack was shaco.... and jack would set tons of boxes and karl would pull folks into them... over and over... and over... anyway, pretty funny imo.  I'll either upload it soon or after I finish playing tonight.  Clocks in around 2 min 30 sec.

August 4, 2012 11:03:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ok - I'm off to bed - starting my upload on that vid.  You should check it out if you play with us regularly - pretty fun stuff.  Catch you all tomorrow and thanks for the games.  cya!

edit - vid is live - check it out as you like.  night

August 5, 2012 6:22:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

put up a few more vids.  Another bigger one I'll upload later tonight.

edit - something I learned today (TIL) - you can counter zyra's seeds pretty easily in some cases.  You already know that if you step on them, you are revealed for a little bit.  BUT - if you step on them, zyra can no longer summon a plant by using a spell on them.  From what I've observed, the moment you step on them, they can no longer be used for plants.  So, if she's ever a little out of range and dropped a plant, stepping on them reduces her dmg potential.  OFC, if you move towards the seeds and she gets a spell off... well, ouch.  Anyway, I didn't know the mechanic worked that way, so I thought I'd share.

edit edit - new vid uploading.  Remastered vid with updated audio compiling.  I'll makes some clips out of it before too long.

JACK we need to play some ranked again soon.

August 6, 2012 9:59:29 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

So - any thoughts on that last in house 5v5 game?  I'm honestly not crystal clear on what the real problem was.  A few thoughts.  The guy who went taric as support played almost EXACTLY like I do.  So, it was incredibly easy for us to duo really well.  And we did.  We utterly destroyed our lane.  The game obviously started falling apart when we got to the team battle phase.  What I'm wondering is was I just getting into dumb positions?  Were folks not peeling for me at all?  I feel like I was doing an ok job with positioning, but mayhaps not.  Anyway, I'm going to check out the replay later today if I get a chance to try to see what the problem was.  Going to be pissed at myself if I threw the game somehow.  Any thoughts?

August 6, 2012 10:08:00 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Your tanks didn't peel at all, and their "engages (what engages?)" were rather useless.

Broken would charge in without any regard for his team and ult on his primary target, which every time was apparently me.

You would follow him in and focus me down, which was a serious mistake as I was the offtank.

You really should've focused Jack.

Karl's initiations were awesome, and though our bot lane wasn't doing that well, our Leona was still applicable in teamfights with that stun.

Jack would focus Jona in fights, and I would focus you in fights.

My burst could really take out over three quarters of your health in one go, not to mention my AA steroid and my gun form's shock blast.

You can thank broken for that as he basically allowed me to free farm top with his hyper aggressive ignite rushes that did literally nothing.

A fed Ryze is a seriously scary thing, as he is really tanky while being able to deal buckets of damage everywhere.

that's what I think happened.

August 6, 2012 11:52:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thx for the feedback.  I'll give the replay a watch.  Thought I only focused you down like once.  Ah well

August 6, 2012 2:04:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The Lagwars vent has been up for a few days now if anyone is interested. 

August 6, 2012 2:11:14 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting OMG_ZEX,
The Lagwars vent has been up for a few days now if anyone is interested. 

We can go back to our home?  pacov is interested. 

August 6, 2012 4:59:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting pacov,
Thx for the feedback.  I'll give the replay a watch.  Thought I only focused you down like once.  Ah well

Well let's see

There was a successful gank where you went for me with Wukong...

You used ult and Wukong used ult to get me.

There were at least two instances where you singled me out during a fight to chase me down to slay me, which got you and Broken waaaaay out of position. I wouldn't do that if I were you, I would instead break off and stay behind your tanks etc.

August 6, 2012 7:55:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

sob... just erased my post.  I watched the replay.  I had 2 uber derp moments.  The first was me fucking up followed by the team just completely derping.  I'll prob make a video to showcase it in all its glory.  So, I get caught in the jungle by karl with his whole team in tow.  Completely my bad for positioning.  My team is in the area, but no where close (except jona).  I almost instantly die after laying down a very small amt of dmg.  Jona then decides to engage a 5v1.  He manages to kill 1, but hands out 4 assists and a kill.  Then, the ultimate derpy moment.  Wukong and naut decide they will ambush their near full hp team.  Our taric had enough sense to not be there for the ambush (he shouldn't have been there... twas a bad idea).  Anyway, that results in 2 more deaths for us and none for them.  Then they take baron.  Prior to this moment, we were up like 27 to 10 or something silly. 

My other uber derp moment was the one dax mentioned.  Broken charges in after jace and I follow.  We kill jace.  I've completely ignored the 4v3 team battle happening below.  My team gets slaughtered and we take our 1 kill and get like 4-5 deaths.  Brilliant pacov.

The other moments, the one that actually cost us the game, happened in between my 2 derps. At 26 min in, its 33 to 17.  We are making a strong push on their base and get an inhib.  At this point broken decides to wander off... while we are all standing in the middle of the enemy teams base.  He then decides to back door, but the creeps are almost all the way to our bottom tower... he then proceeds to push the lane until he, after a few min, makes it to the tower.  Then he does a small amount of damage to the tower and is promptly killed giving 1 death + 2 assists.  While he was doing this backdoor, our team was forced to engage.  Wukongs ult was up the whole time.  We were up by 12k in gold and leading by 16 kills.  In short, if that engage went well, the game would have likely ended.  His ult would likely have made a huge difference on the engage or at enabled us to break off.

Another derp moment happened later when our naut choose to wander off to solo top while the rest of the team pushed bot.  Again, due to all the cc, we are caught in a full engage without a ton of cc or chance to peel.  This resulted in 5 deaths on our team as naut then came in after we were dead to pick off the incredibly valuable 1/10/3 ash.  That also resulted in a free baron.

Anyway, we really just needed to take our huge lead and put it away early.  Not staying together when it counted easily cost us the game imo. 

August 6, 2012 8:57:05 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting pacov,

Quoting OMG_ZEX, reply 1418The Lagwars vent has been up for a few days now if anyone is interested. 

We can go back to our home?  pacov is interested. 

Well...it was nice of yall to visit come back soon!

August 7, 2012 12:50:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for providing the ts while we were down, bro!  It was definitely appreciated.

I'm ATTEMPTING to upload a FULL game that was requested by a few folks.  We were doing a 4v4 in house and folks on the other team wanted to hear the audio.  It's like 37 min long and 5 gig.  Good odds the upload will fail or youtube will tell me to f off or something... but if it works, enjoy.  Upload started.  It says 1900 minutes remaining atm.  We will see how this rot goes, eh.  Fingers crossed but not expecting much.  If I get some free time, I'll break it up into a few parts so something will likely work.

edit - 8:30AM update - 1300 minutes left.    T'was still uploading.

August 7, 2012 7:10:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

@Cow

I don't get it man... usually you're the most die hard "don't surrender till there's 0 chance to win" type of guy I know so it was hard to believe my eyes the other day:

My friend Cow, playing the best jungler in the game and surrendering at 20. 2 kills, 2 assists, 0 deaths.  How are you going to let your team surrender like that without even having one teamfight?

August 7, 2012 9:34:59 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

lol nerd news

• Diana is live
  • Pretty substantial Zyra nerfs in bound
  • Varus quality of life buffs

Here's a copy paste of the varus stuff

I'm actually in the middle of some Varus quality of life tweaks at the moment so great timing on the discussion. Our current thoughts are that Varus' balance is pretty close to a good spot, so I'm looking at a bunch of fixes/changes that improve feel/accent his gameplay more than raw power e.g.

• Fixing an issue where Piercing Arrow appears to hit targets at max range but doesn't actually deal damage.

• Increasing the AP ratio on Blighted Quiver's % damage. Something I'd always wanted was for AP/Hybrid builds to be good fun as a change of pace, so looking to add a bit of love for them. Not necessarily expecting them to be completely 'viable' builds, but should be more fun/effective than at present. Also adds a small amount of power to more standard builds under certain circumstances (Baron buff, ally with WotA etc).

• Increasing the width on his ultimate a decent amount and increasing the spread distance slightly. During Varus' development one of the main concerns was about giving a potentially multi target CC ult to a ranged AD carry and the balance risks associated with that, given that's a role generally without that degree of CC. We'd seen some balance issues when Sona was introduced for example, since her ult allowed AOE comps to get another large AOE CC from a role they'd previously been unable to utilize to that extent and consequently in Varus' case we decided to err on the side of caution. That hasn't been a major issue however so we're adding a bit of strength back to the ultimate, both to make it a slightly more reliable tool for fast shots without other CC involved and to allow a bit more gameplay around the tendril's spreading.

• Adding a targeting indicator to show roughly how far the ult tendrils are likely to spread. This one's pretty simple - without that information a lot of potential gameplay r.e. tendril spread's hard to take advantage of as the Varus player.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time: