The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

pacov's League of Legends general discussion thread - strategies, etc

By on November 29, 2011 1:07:18 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

OP updated 6/7/2012

Well, I started a thread  back in August (http://forums.joeuser.com/411269/) that's seen a lot of activity and actually had quite a few good bits of information for new and old players alike.  I figure it's time to start a new thread and perhaps keep the OP up-to-date with useful information, etc.  Feel free to use this post for any LoL discussion, etc.

Super fast background:  I played a lot of Demigod as pacov/cheesuscrust.  Back in August 2011 or so, I started getting heavily involved in LoL and folks have been kind enough to chime in with tips and links to various sites that have been quite useful to me.  In addition, I've been able to keep up with folks that I've played Demigod with in the past and meet some new folks that play LoL and frequent these message boards. 

Here's some of the things I've learned in the previous thread:

• Added 12/5/2011:  For anyone that is level 30 with an account in good standing, you can participate in the tribunal.  This is a system that was setup by riot to allow the community to police their own.  In short, you get to review cases where players have been reported and recommend that a player is forgiven or punished for their behavior.  Check it out here:  http://na.leagueoflegends.com/Tribunal
  • You can view players stats here:  http://www.lolstatistics.com/ (thanks darkliath!) - this is a useful way to get info on your previous matches and to look up players if you like
  • You can often find some great live streams here:  http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/stream/ .  Watching good players as they pug or play with teammates helps me learn the best.  I highly recommended firing up some of these streams and watching some of the top players go at it.  Great learning tool.  
  • You can save your replays and view them whenever you like or upload them. Go here to get the necessary software:  http://www.leaguereplays.com/download/ and then go here for more info on how it works:  http://leagueofreplays.com/faq.php .  Took me about 3 minutes to figure out and setup.  Very simple and then you always have a small replay file (2-5 megs) including all the details from your game (items/kills, etc - and you even see all of the in game chat).  This also makes it MUCH easier to go back and watch how another person plays if they did a great job or figure out where you messed up and then improve.
  • Sites that are great for player build guides, etc: www.solomid.net and www.mobafire.com
  • An excellent site with guides and up-to-date info on one of the better competative teams, CLG:  www.clgaming.net
  • Folks from DG that play LoL - pacov, zex, zen_god, jona, thundercles, hedgie, trouser, orcun, mith, misterhankey, morpheas, mcshane, darkliath - probably quite a few more that I can't think of at the moment
  • Added 12/5/2011:  You can get a free unchained alistar skin - this also gives you the character for free as well.  See here:  http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/45610/t1685348-free-unchained-alistar-skin/
  • Added 06/7/2012:  You can get the riot girl Tristana skin for free by following Riot's youtube channel.  This also unlocks the character for you.

New Player tips

• Play the tutorial.  Seriously.  Play the tutorial.
  • Riot gives you some RP after you play your first game or so.  It's enough to buy some skins, a boost, or a cheap character.  You'll typically notice this a little after you play your first game.
  • Learn to last hit!  Last hitting is simply landing the last hit on creeps.  If you last hit, you get gold for that kill.  You will need to learn when you should push a lane and when you should just last hit (this means DO NOT attack the creep wave, just let the creeps fight each other and then snag a last hit whenever possible) - the number of creeps you have killed is tracked in a value called CS.  You can see that number at any time by pressing tab
  • Added 06/07/2012 - Sometimes its good to do some damage on a tower.  Sometimes not so much.  Understanding the difference is huge.  For instance, if you manage to kill one or two of the enemies and there is no one in the lane, consider pushing your creep wave to the tower and retreating.  Any creep that dies to the tower is experience and gold that you have denied the enemy.  Doing this right gives you an advantage and ensures the creeps are in a good spot when you come back from the shop.
  • Read some guides on any character you want to try out.  The recommended builds (what you see when you go to a shop) are not optimal.  The guides include item suggestions and skill orders.  These are very useful in learning decent ways to build characters
  • Added 12/5/2011:  So, you know you can't get level 3 runes until you hit level 20?  Well, guess what - that's not entirely true.  Hedgie came up with a way to get level 3 runes at any point.  The bad news, its random.  Here's what you do.  You will need 375 IP.  Buy any tier 1 rune that costs 15 IP.  You need to purchase 25 of these.  Click on your rune page.  In the bottom right hand corner there is a button called the Rune Combiner.  If you place 5 runes in there, you can get a random rune that is 1 tier higher (eg if you have 5 tier 1 runes, you will get 1 random tier 2 rune.  Anyway, the math works out such that you spend 375 IP ( buy 25 tier 1 15 IP runes) and you get 1 completely random tier 3 rune.  Some of the quintessences are 2k IP, so if you luck out and get one of those, you just won the lottery.  Anyway, its not the best system as its completely random, but it does work and does give you a chance to get tier 3 runes at any time.  Another thing to consider, you can always keep the random tier 2 rune if it happens you ended up with a good deal or got something you need.  Going that route, you spend 375 IP and would have 5 random tier 2 runes.  That's fairly cost effective for 375 IP.
  • Added 12/5/2011:  Consider saving IP for when you hit level 30.  Having tier 3 runes is a reasonable advantage.  If you don't save now, I guarantee you are going to be a little sorry when you hit level 30 and spend all your time slowly unlocking runes.

If you can think of anything else that would be good to add to the OP, let me know.  Thanks!

Great site I visit every day for LoL related news - http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends

+171 Karma | 1362 Replies
December 16, 2011 3:55:48 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I've watched bob's live streams before - good stuff.  I also like the recorded dorian dailys.  Search youtube for deathcab4dorians.  He provides a lot of feedback based on what's currently going on with the state of the game.  He also just did a commentary on one saintvicious's jungle riven that was interesting as well.  Anyway, I highly recommend.  Good stuff, and its recorded so you can watch it whenever. 

Jungle Ahri sounds very interesting - I'd think you'd probably have to max her w with that... which I didn't find extremely effective anyway.  hmmm..

December 16, 2011 6:46:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I was actually on Guardsman Bob's stream a few times last season.  I think that I won both times.  He is pretty good - the one game I remember he played lanewick (back when lanewick was OP), and I just could not gank him from the jungle.  It made me mad.  Luckily we won anyway since the rest of his team sucked.

December 16, 2011 7:01:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well, Ive retired from being a Skarner player. I just play well as a team with him. Makes me slightly sad. But its for the better.

Been playing Xerath like non stop. Really liking him alot. Mid with him is fun. Cat was the only one so far Ive had issues with. Not that Im a pro or anything, but I feel I do well. At least get close to the break even K/D ratio even in games we lose.

Been having issues killing people though. Not sure if its my build or what. But I can have issues finishing people. Getting better with him though.

I thinking alot of it as to do with the fact he not a popular choice. People just dont know how to fight him. With that said, I can see how it would be hard to do so...his range is long. Anyhow, I'd like to see how he does in a non pug game.

December 16, 2011 7:13:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I've seen Xerath dominate mid a few times now in ranked.  Played cautiously against a less than cautious team, he can rack up some serious kills in near absolute safety.  A few blown ganks in and the enemy Xerath ended up with like 8 kills before we finally got him, bottom was just getting trashed or we'd have been in serious trouble.  His range really lets him trash most typical opponents mid.  He's a rare pick, but he can be a force in ranked.  Get enough mana regeneration to keep him busy, and he doesn't need to leave anywhere near as soon as others would.

December 17, 2011 11:16:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting -Ue_Carbon,
Been having issues killing people though. Not sure if its my build or what. But I can have issues finishing people. Getting better with him though.

If you are getting close to scoring kills but never completing, then I'd suggest getting ignite as a summoner spell.  With a character like him, its pretty much a shoe in for an early kill (even before level 6 if you use your flash as well).

December 17, 2011 1:12:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Xerath is amazing, though I've found that anti-mage Kassadin just steamrolls over him.

Kassadin is possibly one of the most annoying champs ever, and the nerf of his ult didn't really do too much to stop him.

I'm pretty good with Kassadin, though I REALLY LIKE Cho'Gath, I can now run entire games without dying or getting ganked in top because of his survivability.

Recent Cho games

AP Cho: 8/0/10 win

AS Cho: 7/0/3 win

AP Cho: 4/1/6

December 18, 2011 2:10:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Had a few fun games tonight with Pacov, Peter, Cow, Max, Thunder, and Raftina. Made a ton of bad calls in the last one but we came out with a win so I am happy ^.^ looking forward to playing some more.

December 18, 2011 10:54:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah, I was getting a little grouchy towards the end of the night.  Played a few pugs afterwards and went right back to having like a 80% favorable K/D ratio again

December 18, 2011 11:17:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Props to urgot - just watched a stream of the EU West number 2 solo queue ladder leader MoMa playing as urgot in an extremely high level game against Wickd. 

December 18, 2011 2:56:30 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Damn, wish I coulda seen that.  What do you think about my plan to let us play Urgot easier?

December 18, 2011 4:26:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yup - wickd got the crap kicked out of him that game... then I got to hear wickd's teammates insulting him and harassing him after the game.  heh... you'd think they'd turn off the stream.

December 19, 2011 10:26:47 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Had some interesting ranked games last night. Overall they went well, went 4-2. My losses were due to horrible team comp. I really hate when people can only play one role in ranked and just pick that role no matter what other people have chosen...

My last game with Lux mid was probably the most fun. Was up against Kennen and dominated him. Had two blind snipes which I wish I had recorded. Just estimated where the low health person would run to and fired. Very satisfying. Went something like 8-2-12 or something.

I think a good Leblanc and Kassdin would be my only major worries mid. Otherwise, I find the buffs finally make Lux a pretty viable mid. Support Lux isn't much fun. She really needs the farm to be effective.

December 19, 2011 11:21:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting AragornV,
I really hate when people can only play one role in ranked and just pick that role no matter what other people have chosen...

Yeah, I'm personally working on extending the roles that I can do...

Cho'Gath: Tank

Cho'Gath: Carry

Cho'Gath: Jungler

Kassadin: Assassin

Yep, not much else...

but the free rotation this week includes several champs I want to try:

Galio

Ezreal

Fiddlesticks

Rammus

I'll be busy this week, you can be sure!

December 20, 2011 8:29:29 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

speaking of busy this week.... I get the feeling I'm going to be busy playing the old republic.  Loving it.  Think I'll be alternating between LoL and SWTOR quite a bit in the near future.  Gotta say, I love when they chose to release the game.  Very nice early Christmas gift.

December 20, 2011 7:20:14 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

*Warning*

Hopefully I'm the only one who's experienced this bug but just in case I wanted to warn you guys about it.  The other night I was playing with my south east asian buddies and picked Amumu for jungling... and thought I picked the Amumu masteries.

Started the game with 515 in gold.  Had been fooling around with a utility build with extra starting gold for another champ and guessed I had left it on that accidentally so I had a nightmare game.

Next game made sure... and same thing.  So it got me thinking to a couple of horrible pug experiences jungling and just struggling through and having an "Ohhhh... fuck! Thats what was happening!" moment.  Then I'm thinking about all the times I've experimented with different masteries and now I'm wondering if some of them were even the right ones.  Or some of the horrible games I've had where things just felt off.  Maybe the really were.

Anyway just an FYI to people to keep an eye on there starting stats.  And don't accept game invites while you're messing with runes and masteries.  And restart LoL after you're done messing with masteries.

December 22, 2011 9:20:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah thunder I have had that bug numerous times...it is very annoying. Just got out of a hilarious match with peter. I will upload the image shortly.

Photobucket

December 22, 2011 11:14:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

need to stop obsessing about SWTOR and get back to some LoL. 

December 22, 2011 11:37:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Im looking forward to GW2 so no star wars for me. I hope you have fun with it though paco!

December 28, 2011 10:25:53 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting OMG_Shiro,
Im looking forward to GW2 so no star wars for me. I hope you have fun with it though paco!

I'm having way too much fun with it.  Just thought I'd check in on this thread.  You folks still really active with LoL in the meantime?  Anything interesting going on?  I've been lost in the star wars universe for a couple weeks now and still haven't touched LoL.

December 28, 2011 12:51:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nah nothing really interesting has happened. The new champion looks amazing though and is set to release sometime this week.

December 28, 2011 1:01:55 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Good stuff - I saw about us all getting some free RP as well.  Always nice.

December 29, 2011 10:34:36 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Haven't been playing much over the holidays. The new champ Viktor sounds pretty cool. He should be released pretty soon as his champ spotlight has just been posted:

I got my free 450 RP and there is also a deal where if you buy RP you get a bonus 300 which I will probably take advantage of (haven't bought RP before)

December 29, 2011 10:39:19 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting AragornV,
I got my free 450 RP and there is also a deal where if you buy RP you get a bonus 300 which I will probably take advantage of (haven't bought RP before)

yeah - i saw that as well.  Pretty decent deal if you just drop $5 or so.

January 1, 2012 1:53:04 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Viktor is a bomb!

He's so annoying!

He can poke you for tons of damage and then follow up with a stun...

I have to use Kassadin ults to dodge his abilities, which isn't that much of a problem, unless he ults or just kills me outright...

ugggghh

January 1, 2012 12:30:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yeah - vicktor looks like a lot of fun to play - just checked out the spotlight video.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000593   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.