The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Last post info bug

By on November 24, 2011 4:45:54 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hi,

This problem has been irritating me for ages, and it should be really quick to fix. The last post info from any forum incorrectly displays the information about tha *last created thread*, not the latest post in that sub forum. So if someone makes a thread that no one replies to, but conversation runs thick in earlier threads, the Last Post Info box still displays that age old thread with no replies and it looks like there's no activity inside that forum. It's really unhelpful.

Could this please be fixed?

+14 Karma | 47 Replies
November 25, 2011 9:51:02 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If your posts don't invite responses it will only be because they do not warrant a response, not that no-one can find them.

You are posting from 'Elemental'.

I am responding from 'Wincustomize' and am probably 10 thousand miles away, too ...

November 25, 2011 9:57:59 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It would appear that the majority is happy with things as they are (or with one or two minor changes) but feel ok as things are, or would have added a comment.

I'm perfectly happy with things as they are, and would only favor making the layout of JU and WC similar so that posting pictures/screenshots, etc. wouldn't be such a trial. I know that at least one other person agrees with me.

That doesn't constitute reason enough to change things.

November 25, 2011 10:39:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Sir_Linque,
The thing is that it doesn't help that I find the posts, when others don't. I don't want to converse with myself.

I'm not really sure where you run into this problem. I check the Elemental forums at least twice a day, and they're pretty dead at the moment. Just taking a look at the recent posts, there is one WoM thread, one mod thread, this one, one Misc thread, and everything else is PC Gaming. The thread that's getting the most posts from Elemental these past few days is the Skyrim one. I'm sure things will pick up when the FE beta starts, but it's been months since I've had to open the sub-forums to get a better look at what's been posted...

November 25, 2011 11:16:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That's the thing; if someone would now post in an old thread in one of the dead sub-forums, there's a high risk that it will go mostly unnoticed because the misc forums are active and cause any single posts to drop from the recent posts list pretty quickly.

I know it's not too serious of an issue. I just wanted to help improve the forum experience.

November 25, 2011 12:53:40 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Sir_Linque,
That's the thing; if someone would now post in an old thread in one of the dead sub-forums, there's a high risk that it will go mostly unnoticed because the misc forums are active and cause any single posts to drop from the recent posts list pretty quickly.

I know it's not too serious of an issue. I just wanted to help improve the forum experience.
???

Not sure how the Win-folks got so feisty about your reasonable OP. I've been posting for ages around here also, and agree with you that the UI could use some simple tweaks to help ensure that more casual users don't miss posts that would actually be of interest to them.

That said, for various reasons, the forum sprawl problem first amongst them, I mainly ignore the sub-topic category structure and use just Recent Posts and My Replies to follow stuff. And that's still not as simple as I'd like because I follow some stuff in both Misc and Off-Topic, and you can't get both those topics on all Stardock sprawl site (Off-Topic got blocked at Elemental quite some time ago).

Several posts in this thread read to me like less-than-thoughtful Stardock booster talk with a dusting of kick-the-gamers attitude. I still recommend GC2 to my friends with similar tastes, so I feel like I should be able to count myself amongst Stardock's supporters, but the sprawl situation does seem to regularly generate conflicts between us 'mere gamers' and the 'real software' folks. I like the fact that sometimes I learn about an important bit of IT news here first, but I still often think that I'd give that up happily if we could 'dissolve the union' and let each domain name be its own separate section of the forums DB as far as the user POV goes. 

November 25, 2011 7:27:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

One reason SD's forum structure works and others do not is in our ability to locate and deal with spam/spammers typically before others even get to be 'annoyed' by it.

Several other sites I frequent have spam that's been posted for YEARS without being handled.

Stardock's sites and forums are amongst the 'cleanest' on the net.

Mess around with the architecture and you're bound to be inundated with 'junk'.....

November 25, 2011 9:04:50 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Jafo,
... Mess around with the architecture and you're bound to be inundated with 'junk'
???

Beg pardon, but this seems like an exception to my general impression that you're a rather sensible entity.

Please explain how the choice to make category-level 'recent' lists use 'ThreadCreated' vs. 'LatestReply' has value in facilitating spam reduction. Doesn't spam-fighting depend on a mixture of software that identifies repetitive postings and humans who read those reports and also manually patrol the boards?

November 25, 2011 9:44:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I am happy  with the way things are. NEVER encountered any problems beeing seen/found nor finding the thread/post I´m looking for.... Can´t really see a problem at all......

November 25, 2011 10:15:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting GW Swicord,
Beg pardon, but this seems like an exception to my general impression that you're a rather sensible entity.

Oh, I'm certain you think I'm a moron...but that's fine.

Spam fighting [here] relies on the dilligence of said moron being online 24/7 and monitoring 'recent posts', recognizing the type of post or thread as 'spam' and removing both the spam and the spammer.

Typically there are 3 or 4 'actual humans' keeping the crap at bay.... we're from various corners of the globe allowing effectively full time monitoring 24/7/365.

With other forums either they do not care or simply do not notice their spam.

What 'may' suit the one or two whose transience makes catching up on comments irksome may also inhibit the current simplicity of spam catching which most definitely is NOT a transient occurrence.

"mixture of software"?

In your dreams....

November 25, 2011 10:32:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Jafo,
"mixture of software"?

I am not a robot. I am a unicorn.

November 26, 2011 2:33:50 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

horny pony?

November 27, 2011 5:04:26 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Just click on recent posts and its all there. My question is how to get to posts that aren't listed in the recent posts pages? In case I need to find one.

November 27, 2011 4:49:33 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Jafo,
... Oh, I'm certain you think I'm a moron...but that's fine. ...
???

Well, there's another reason to question certainty wherever you encounter it. My general impression of you is that you're a good citizen of the boards and often rather funny. My only guess as to why you might believe that I think you're a moron is that I've made a rather bad impression on you, which is regrettable.

And back on the recreational quibbling channel, I don't see how the UI frustration expressed in this OP (and elsewhere) has anything to do with "architecture" changes. The data is all already there. It's just a UI design decision (or set of them) that leaves spam cops like you with one POV and users like Linque and me with another.

Plus, I want points for having said right off that the 'problem' is no big deal for me because I get adequate info via My Replies & Recent Posts.

Moron? Never. At least as touchy as I am sometimes, maybe... 

November 27, 2011 6:16:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting GW Swicord,
Plus, I want points for having said right off that the 'problem' is no big deal for me because I get adequate info via My Replies & Recent Posts.

OK....so it's not a problem then for you, and for the other person [OP] it's actually not a bug either....as it's how things are intended.

What frustrates most is when someone explains the status quo he's labeled a Stardock fanboi, but anyone seeking change or revision is considered an erudite master of the sublime.

As with MOST forums 'true functionality' relies on frequency of attendance.

If you cannot find appropriate responses in 'recent posts' then you yourself have not been here 'recent' enough....

Re 'forum structure/architecture', if the forums were more segregated and fragmented [stagnated] it's not just ease of access to spam to consider...but also the supervision of general user conduct.

Stardock's sites are moderated.  We keep an eye on things [eg. online bullying is a modern social blight].  Flaming, personal attack, etc.

Getting around on the forums may feel 'clunky' to some ... but the sites are sociable....

November 27, 2011 6:27:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,
If you cannot find appropriate responses in 'recent posts' then you yourself have not been here 'recent' enough....

If one cares, he can bookmark the thread as well....

I find this to be true all too often:

Quoting Jafo,
What frustrates most is when someone explains the status quo he's labeled a Stardock fanboi, but anyone seeking change or revision is considered an erudite master of the sublime.

November 27, 2011 6:31:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DevenDmer,
horny pony?

November 27, 2011 6:39:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Jafo, you really don't seem to like my idea much, but the thing is that no one has said a single point as to why it is advantageous to have the current system instead of my proposed improvement. All that happened here is that you got kind of touchy on the issue and my suggestion got ridiculed. Basically all arguments against my idea have been that there is a 'Recent Posts' button that everyone uses that works really well. I don't see why the way the Last Post Info works is better for people who attend these forums frequently. What's the benefit of it?

Also, I don't understand why proposing to change a feature that you don't use gives you a need to post here saying that the forums work fine for you so let's not change anything. Some of the users that visit these forums are more casual than you guys. For them, this improvement idea is useful even though it wouldn't do anything to you. That's all. Not a big deal. Not saying this forum sucks. Not saying we should change everything. Not saying I'm an erudite master of the sublime. Not thinking I'm better than anyone. Not thinking the Recent Posts system is bad. All I'm saying that he Last Post Info box has a really strange behavior, something that I've never seen on any major message board.

I understand if you don't have the time to change it because the guy who codes the forums is too busy. Or any other reasonable explanation. I just look at amazement at your arguments about spam defense and architecture change, as they have absolutely zero to do with my proposed improvement.

November 27, 2011 6:49:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,
Getting around on the forums may feel 'clunky' to some ...

I'll take "clunk" over "junk" every time.

November 27, 2011 7:21:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Sir_Linque,
Or any other reasonable explanation.

So my reference to 'that's the way it is' in a post ages ago isn't considered 'reasonable'?

That it 'wouldn't do anything to me' is an untested hypothesis.   I for one would resist any changes that impacted negatively upon the reasonable ease of supervision of the Forums.

I've stated more than once that that which 'irritates you for ages' is NOT a bug.  It is the way things are intended....

Database interconnectivity of sites and their related forums, along with cache refresh timing can see quirky behaviour with a system this sophisticated/complex...

November 28, 2011 2:25:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Saying "that's the way it is" is not an explanation at all. There should be a reason behind a feature, it shouldn't "just be".

How does the feature I talk about affect your supervision of the forums?

November 28, 2011 3:37:33 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Sir_Linque,
Saying "that's the way it is" is not an explanation at all

The forums have been developed over ten years and are now as you see them.

That explains their existence in this form...

aka...that's the way it is...

November 28, 2011 7:50:48 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If it ain't fix ... don't broke it

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000703   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.