The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Last post info bug

By on November 24, 2011 4:45:54 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hi,

This problem has been irritating me for ages, and it should be really quick to fix. The last post info from any forum incorrectly displays the information about tha *last created thread*, not the latest post in that sub forum. So if someone makes a thread that no one replies to, but conversation runs thick in earlier threads, the Last Post Info box still displays that age old thread with no replies and it looks like there's no activity inside that forum. It's really unhelpful.

Could this please be fixed?

+14 Karma | 47 Replies
November 24, 2011 5:37:35 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Not sure that that's a bug...but a feature of the architecture of inter-connected forums...

November 24, 2011 5:41:42 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

It doesn't make sense to be a feature. Only on forums such as dev journal or news, where only moderators post it can be of use. But when we have user created posts, it makes more sense to see when the last reply has been written on the forums.

The Stardock forums are the only forums I've seen where the Last Post Info works like this. Everywhere else it shows the time and date of the last reply and which topic it was written on.

November 24, 2011 5:50:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yes, I agree, I would greatly welcome a change like this - I think it would be a change for the better.

November 24, 2011 5:59:26 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I just use the Recent Posts link in the bar under the search box. It shows the threads in decending order from newest post/reply to oldest.

November 24, 2011 6:38:22 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Deven is correct regarding the "Recent" vs. "Last created".... and this shows how very few of us understand the function of the Forum and interlocking Forums.

Unfortunately, there is no WinWiki tutorial about the "Forum structure and features".

I might just take that on as my next "Big Project".

November 24, 2011 6:27:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DevenDmer,
I just use the Recent Posts link in the bar under the search box. It shows the threads in decending order from newest post/reply to oldest.

Yes, that's the method for all who prefer the way others do it.

I almost always access the Forums that way ...

November 24, 2011 6:32:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So you're saying that you access the forums almost always via the way that I suggest the last post system would work, but still you say that maybe the way it works now is as intended and shouldn't be changed?

November 24, 2011 7:53:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Sir_Linque,
So you're saying that you access the forums almost always via the way that I suggest the last post system would work, but still you say that maybe the way it works now is as intended and shouldn't be changed?

Yes....

November 24, 2011 11:43:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

That... is... don't want to bash an SD guy, here, but c'mon...

November 25, 2011 4:37:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Screw you too.

November 25, 2011 4:56:46 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Sir_Linque,
Screw you too.

I'm not quite sure where you're coming from, but I have been here interacting on these forums longer than just about everyone...and can say I really see no issue with the way these forums are managed.

Example....

Almost all others are subject to uncontrolled spam.

Stardock's are not.

That, if nothing else...is a deal-maker.

November 25, 2011 5:07:35 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm quite happy with the Forums as they are. There are a few minor bugs, but Bara fixed so much that I'm reminded (almost daily) to thank him.

November 25, 2011 5:21:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hey, I just wanted to let you guys know about an issue that's pretty annoying, got some backing and then got shot down by a moderator basically saying "I don't care, lol". Forgive me to be irritated.

I never said these forums are bad, I like it here a lot. How did this discussion even get there?

November 25, 2011 5:28:02 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

OK.

Let's just look at the history of Stardock's online forums.

Once upon a time there was Stardock.com.  That was it.

As Stardock diversified and [as is now the norm particularly with gaming] forums were created for all of Stardock's games/ interests [not just [GUI customizing] several sites were setup with inter-linked forums...so that no individual SD User/Customer was ever too far away/removed from his/her brethren and so you see the way the forums are setup now.

None of us is 'superior' to any other user...all are connected/related equally.  Stardock has a forum architecture that is actually gregarious, unlike many.

The ONLY nay-sayers are closeted narrow-minded psychophants who need a dose of reality.

So those who say 'screw you' can just 'bugger off'.

I trust I have made my point tersely and succinctly....

Stardock's forums have gone through generations of change, just as the typical SD user has gone from Windows95 to Windows7.

We are now 88 levels behind...but in a better place....

November 25, 2011 5:33:36 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Jafo,
None of us is 'superior' to any other user...

Now you're just hurting my feelings. 

November 25, 2011 5:35:01 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Stant123,
Now you're just hurting my feelings.

OK.... you're better than me...

November 25, 2011 5:40:50 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hah!  That's why I love these forums just the way they are. 

November 25, 2011 5:41:11 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Sir_Linque,
Hey, I just wanted to let you guys know about an issue that's pretty annoying, got some backing and then got shot down by a moderator basically saying "I don't care, lol". Forgive me to be irritated.

The 'annoyance' of reality was explained.

All else is anecdotal....

November 25, 2011 5:42:53 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Stant123,
Hah! That's why I love these forums just the way they are.

Et tu, Brute?

November 25, 2011 5:51:59 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yes, but the name isn't Brutus. 

Honestly, never had a problem with navigating to the threads that I want to get to.

November 25, 2011 6:04:37 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Stant123,
Honestly, never had a problem with navigating to the threads that I want to get to.

You and me both...

November 25, 2011 6:13:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, to me you're a representative of Stardock. Probably the way things work in the GUI side of SD is different to the games side, so there's two kinds of forums conflicting here. The atmosphere feels more professional at the games side, and less communal. And I kind of like it that way.

Oh well. I still hope the last post thing gets fixed if any of you have time. It should be pretty quick and I don't think a lot of people really use the current system.

There are some forums that don't get a lot of action at the Elemental forums, and it seems like some discussions get missed by people because they're going on in a not so much used sub forum in threads that were created before the latest (dead) thread.

November 25, 2011 6:18:07 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Sir_Linque,
Oh well. I still hope the last post thing gets fixed if any of you have time. It should be pretty quick and I don't think a lot of people really use the current system.

Everyone uses the 'current system' as per its name... "current system".

There is no other.

GUI side or Games side... there is no difference. The Forums are inter-connected and run the same way...

November 25, 2011 6:23:55 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Sir_Linque,
There are some forums that don't get a lot of action at the Elemental forums, and it seems like some discussions get missed by people because they're going on in a not so much used sub forum in threads that were created before the latest (dead) thread.

Missed that, thanks to 'edit' ..but..

"recent posts" as an access format solves this 'issue'.  It's intended as a method to keep those "overly worried" placated...

I refer you to the response in #8.

November 25, 2011 7:19:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The thing is that it doesn't help that I find the posts, when others don't. I don't want to converse with myself.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001094   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.