The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Morrowind and Skyrim

By on November 16, 2011 1:22:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

For those of you who have played Skyrim and Morrowind(Elder Scrolls series), could you compare them? I tried morrowind and found it very very dull. The fighting mechanic was awful. The story was boring. The graphics were quite subpar. I did not care what was going on in the game at all. I'm curious, is skyrim similar to morrowind, just better graphics? What are the differences?

+8 Karma | 16 Replies
November 16, 2011 1:28:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If you don´t like Morrowind, you will not like Skyrim. It isn´t just the same, but for you it will be. It sounds like you don´t like the concept of these games.

November 16, 2011 1:34:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Some of the systems and such don't work the same way, but it's at its heart the same type of game. There's really no way to say if it's different enough for you or not.

November 16, 2011 1:42:56 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yea, I'd say Skyrim isn't for you then.  Morrowind is my #1 all time favorite game although from what I've seen in Skyrim so far it will supplant it.

I guess my question to you would be how long ago did you try Morrowind?  I ask because when you say the graphics are subpar, well, they are today but at the time they were cutting edge.  It brought my top of the line video card to it's knees on release.

But if you don't like the storytelling and the open world concept then you won't like Skyrim because it's very similar to Morrowind or Obvlivion in that respect.  It is an Elders Scrolls game and they all have the same concept in mind.

November 16, 2011 1:45:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Morrowind had some kickass graphics for it's time, it made my Pentium 2 go crazy. Skyrim does the same to my Athlon 64, so they match up regarding that. I honestly liked the introduction to Morrowind better, it's probably the fastest intro an Elder Scrolls game has ever had, 2 minutes and you're playing it. Skyrim's dragon attack was cool and all, but it felt too much like a cinematic. Fighting mechanics are better in Skyrim, especially if you want to play a mage.

The story, well, Morrowind had a great one, with some very well put together character, once you got to know them. It was a slow creep into a world that you got to know on a day to day basis over several months. Skyrim skips that and plunges you right in it. It took me about a month before I became the Nerrevarine in Morrowind. I became Dragonborn in a day in Skyrim. I honestly liked the Morrowind approach, but since I have to finish Skyrim by the end of this month, I'm sort of OK with it on a practical basis, but I still don't like it.

The world is also a lot less static, which makes running around the mountains and forests a lot more fun in Skyrim. Still, the interface and character costumization of Skyrim is the worst it's ever been in the series, and I still hope that the person who thought that making an "iPod" like menu system is run over by a truck.

November 16, 2011 1:53:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I did not like Morrowind, I found it dull the graphic style was awful, all those weird trees and the graphics for people looks horrid.

However, I did get into Oblivion and I am hoping I will like Skyrim. I have only played to the end of the introduction and so far had a crash to desktop and struggling with the weird UI. Pressing tab to close windows, what is wrong with escape? I love open style RPGs where you can do what you like and you are not attached to invisible rails (like dragon age 2 and dungeon siege 3)

November 16, 2011 2:00:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

For what it's worth, I didn't like Morrowind or Oblivion (owned both, but the games just didn't pull me in). However, I'm enjoying Skyrim immensely. I can't really put my finger on any single thing, but it's a combination of graphics, less stupid leveling system, and some nice quality of life improvements. Plus I do like how they did the dragons, with learning their language and absorbing souls and such.

November 16, 2011 2:16:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I am also in the "hated morrowind, love skyrim" camp. They've done away with all the silly minmax stuff, there's a lot less stats to keep track of. 80% of the story is great and 20% mediocre, instead of the other way around in morrowind (yeah, I went there).

November 16, 2011 9:43:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks everyone. I'm going to pass on skyrim.

November 21, 2011 10:00:36 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
I am also in the "hated morrowind, love skyrim" camp. They've done away with all the silly minmax stuff, there's a lot less stats to keep track of. 80% of the story is great and 20% mediocre, instead of the other way around in morrowind (yeah, I went there).

I never played it but Oblivion bugged me in so many ways

Skyrim does not.

Just my fourteen cents.

I played it until I got Need for Speed: The Run, finished that and need to replay it sometime, and am now playing Skyrim until I've got Arkham City downloaded off Steam (since they don't seem to be preloading, that'll be a few days yet.)  Then after AC I imagine I'll be right back in Skyrim.

November will be the death of me one of these years

November 21, 2011 1:53:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That's good to hear... I never "hated" Morrowind and Oblivion, but I could never get into them (despite sinking many many hours into it). They definitely had some cool things going for them, but I always felt like I was doing things "wrong". I probably only felt that way because I watched my friends play a couple times and they had all done this super mix/max, run super fast while invisible, insta-win character stuff so they could run through Oblivion gates without touching anybody... really let the wind out of my sails when they did something in 60 seconds what took me an hour. Morrowind was the same... I could never get magic to work right but everyone else I saw had these insane crafted spells that were cheap but did ten million good things. There's other things that bothered me about both games but I don't want to turn this into a Bethesda-bashing thread. 

If they've done away with all that min-maxing, I'll probably get Skyrim in a couple weeks.

November 21, 2011 2:26:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Personally, as far as it's skills and perks goes, its core character attributes....Skyrim isn't anymore complex now than God of War, Devil May Cry or some other 3rd person hack 'n slash RPG games. The quests and everything else still let you know it's a PC RPG....but what they've done to your character is basically give you nothing to pay attention to. Some people like that. I don't. Because it starts to show around level 30 when you're maxing out, and, guess what, there's nothing left worth picking up, doing or skilling up. Yet there's still 40 - 50% of the game out there.

Skyrim characters break down to a couple basic questions.

Magic? Yes, no, sorta.

Armor? Heavy, light or "I wanna RPG a mage."

Stealth? Yes or when I have to.

Congratulations, you're ready to play Skyrim.

It's moments like when your 150 pound mage in a robe has to fist fight a 275 pnd Nord, and you can't really even tell why you're winning, that I start to really miss things like stats and everything else. Because in truth, perks aside, every character in Skyrim is the exact same. Compared to being able to make a fast moving, high jumping acrobat versus a slow warrior who could do damage even with crap weapons, Skyrim characters ultimately feel like they're secondary to the world. And that's not how I think an RPG should be. The mechanics are there to give you a connection to your character. The new system might help people define their play styles better, but at the cost of options or really getting to customize your character.

And then there's some of it that's just broke. Going 5/5 in the 1-handed, 2-handed or armor traits pretty much breaks game balance. And I say this having played all the way to 31 with just 2/5 in each of them. Morrowind wasn't any less broken in its day because of how it was built....but it was a lot more fun to experiment and break things there than in Skyrim. In Skyrim, you make a bad ass weapon and enchant it and you're done in 3 minutes. Mystery solved. I remember spending a good hour at the spell crafting table in Oblivion just putting things together. Skyrim doesn't come close to level of free form stuff the older games allowed.

As it is Skyrim is great, but without mods I don't think I'd ever do more than a tepid 2nd play through because mechanically it's just not interesting enough to warrant it. With mods, it's going to be a whole 'nother game in a year's time.

January 12, 2012 1:37:50 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

You probally will like Skyrim, the combat is much much much better (and you do not have a chance of hit mechanic, so if your sword connects with someone it will hit them everytime, unlike morrowind), story is better, voiced dialogue, and tons of new features.

January 12, 2012 5:21:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The solution here, as in most cases, is to try before buying.

January 12, 2012 5:50:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If you ever do get Skyrim. It is really best to get it on PC if you can since the modding community will usually sort out most of the gripes people have with the vanilla game and do cool stuff after that.

January 13, 2012 12:43:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Cruxador,
The solution here, as in most cases, is to try before buying.

No demo for Skyrim and the only people I know who have it are far away.

January 31, 2012 3:30:10 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Personally i prefered Oblivion to both but i was introduced into the series by Morrowind, i got really into Morrowind and spent many an hour on it because there was none of that Quick Travel system.

But Skyrim i could never really get into and immerse myself in the story, it didn't feel as "fluid" as Oblivion.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000297   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.