The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Armada 2526 or Distant Worlds or neither?

By on November 16, 2011 1:18:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm thinking of buying one of two 4X space games and wanted people's opinions thoughts on them. Do me the favor and tell me your experience with these games? Much appreciated.

Armada 2526

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/376/details/Armada.2526

Distant Worlds

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/379/details/Distant.Worlds

+8 Karma | 49 Replies
November 17, 2011 11:24:25 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting onomastikon,
Thanks. It is, however, against my religion to purchase localized versions of games. I will not purchase a Germanized version of anything, I do not wish to spend my afterlife in hell.

I don't have the german edition of Distant Worlds, but, having both the english and german edition of Armada 2526, i can tell you that it's a very good translation (i was part of the beta-testing for Supernova and made corrections to the german translation).

Anyway, you may get the english editions of Armada 2526 and Supernova (published by Iceberg Interactive too) from amazon.co.uk. It's even very cheap now to get both from there (both at around 7 £ each).

November 17, 2011 11:26:12 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Thoumsin,

Well, i cannot test it... the game was uninstall long time ago... have buy it on matrix game with a extended download time ( 1 year ) in 2009... it was the first place who have release the game... and i cannot download it anymore today... well, i can download a pirate version and use my legal serial but i don't wish...

Contact Matrix support. They will make it possible to download it again.

http://www.matrixgames.com/support/

November 17, 2011 1:28:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

StevenAus- Here are reviews on DW and expansions link

Expansions are like GalCiv2 expansions, you get bang for your buck and they make the game even better.

November 17, 2011 1:58:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

As Hawawaa said, the expansions add an enormous amount to the enjoyment of the game. The new expansion, DW Legends, requires both the original DW and the first expansion, DW Return of the Shakturi - according to the website anyway. Hopefully there will be some sort of bundle deal for those that don't have it yet but the cost is still likely to be much higher than the run of the mill indie games. All I can say is that Distant Worlds with all the expansions is worth every penny. It seriously is that good.

November 18, 2011 2:07:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Anguille,
Both games are great (both need their addons).

Armada 2526 with Supernova is a classic 4x (turn-based) in the line with MOO 1 & 2. It's my favorite. The basic game wasn't very sexy and many have kept that in their head but the game has made a huge progression...

Distant Worlds with the forthcoming second addon is the deepest 4x game in the market...it's just superb. The game is real-time so needs more concentration.

I have both and recommend both.

I second Anguille's post in its entirety. You honestly can't go wrong with either one.

Armada 2526/Supernova is my favorite 4x game now. My second favorite?  Distant Worlds  

November 18, 2011 7:18:59 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting mbar8,
Contact Matrix support. They will make it possible to download it again.

http://www.matrixgames.com/support/

Thank for the info but i don't wish to install it again... basic version have not the very interesting feature of online multiplayer added with the expansion pack ( was promise during the beta testing of the original game but now, need to buy a expension pack for the promise feature )...

Anyway, i am enough busy with my favorite 4x game ( explore, expand, exploit, exterminate ), a real time one called Sins Of A Solar Empire

Armada 2526 was a game with a very good potential but i have not like the rushed release... From what i have read, the game is good now but i don't trust anymore ntronium...

November 18, 2011 12:58:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hmn, interesting distribution policy.

I will not buy a localized product, no matter how high its quality, because I will not support the kind of sub-contracting that developers give to the German distributors. I hate the fact that they refuse to give us Germans a choice; the Witcher, for example, you could get as a digital download from, for example, Steam or Impulse -- but you could not download the English original version in Germany, you get an error message, "this product is not available in your country", because of the contracts they have to ensure the localized monopoly. No thank you. I can see that some people can be interested in localization, I realize Germany is not Holland or Sweden, but I still feel like I am being treated in a second-class manner.  

Be that as it may, I see that I can purchase Armada 2526 for 11 Euros and the expansion for 7, plus minor shipping and handling, from London. That seems fair to me, a small risk for supporting an indie product. This is below my threshold for spontaneous purchases of this kind.

Distant Worlds, however, costs 39 Euros, and its expansion 19 -- erm, that makes me pause and think. And I think I will wait for that to go on sale sometime.

November 18, 2011 4:37:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

onomastikon- I do believe with every Distant World expansion they do run a preorder sale and even after launch a discount on the main game and in this case the first expansion too. They will even will have a bundle deal going on. They usually tell us just before launch. Incase your looking to save a little.

November 23, 2011 8:13:17 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks. The price tag of DW is still making me hesitate, while Armada is not. After reading things about Armada elsewhere, however, I am not sure I understand what makes it better or different than other games already out there, such as Space Empires V. Can someone, especially one who really likes it, tell me briefly why Armada + Supernova > SEV? Thanks much!

November 23, 2011 2:24:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have to go with Distant Worlds.  I am a dyehard Turn based player.  But I find the ability to automate so many aspects of DWs that I can find an enjoyable mix of automated and micro-mamaged play.  I also tend to play in smaller galaxies, so i can keep tabs on the action. 

November 25, 2011 4:30:11 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting onomastikon,
Thanks. The price tag of DW is still making me hesitate, while Armada is not. After reading things about Armada elsewhere, however, I am not sure I understand what makes it better or different than other games already out there, such as Space Empires V. Can someone, especially one who really likes it, tell me briefly why Armada + Supernova > SEV? Thanks much!

For many player SEV isn't running well on Windows 7. The biggest differences: Armada 2526 has no starlanes (map similar to MOO1 and MOO2) and SEV has a lot more micromanagement. I also have SEV which is a good game and as more options for customisation (races, ships).

Pros for Armada 2526 Supernova:

- the map looks much better.

- Faster gameplay

- Diplomacy easier to use and unterstand.  

- HUGE maps compared to SEV

- A better AI

- a fun trade system.

- Special planets/solar systems with trade goods, specials etc.

- Different victory goals and characteristics for each race.

Cheers

November 25, 2011 8:02:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting onomastikon,
Hmn, interesting distribution policy.

I will not buy a localized product, no matter how high its quality, because I will not support the kind of sub-contracting that developers give to the German distributors. I hate the fact that they refuse to give us Germans a choice; the Witcher, for example, you could get as a digital download from, for example, Steam or Impulse -- but you could not download the English original version in Germany, you get an error message, "this product is not available in your country", because of the contracts they have to ensure the localized monopoly. No thank you. I can see that some people can be interested in localization, I realize Germany is not Holland or Sweden, but I still feel like I am being treated in a second-class manner.  

Be that as it may, I see that I can purchase Armada 2526 for 11 Euros and the expansion for 7, plus minor shipping and handling, from London. That seems fair to me, a small risk for supporting an indie product. This is below my threshold for spontaneous purchases of this kind.

Distant Worlds, however, costs 39 Euros, and its expansion 19 -- erm, that makes me pause and think. And I think I will wait for that to go on sale sometime.

I'm with you. I tried to buy digital english version of Skyrim in Poland. Steam and Impulse and D2D - nope. I bought EU serial at cdkeysdirect and activated on my Steam account by logging on the seller computer by teamviewer. Pretty weird.

As for the topic. I tried both but DW was little weird for me and A unstable... And I've read SOTS2 is unfinished:(

November 25, 2011 12:25:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I ended up trying Armada 2526. Waste of money. Was bored very quickly. Much too simple.

November 26, 2011 7:04:13 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting TheBirthdayParty,
I ended up trying Armada 2526. Waste of money. Was bored very quickly. Much too simple.

with or without Supernova?

December 6, 2011 8:14:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thought I posted which I finally decided on. Guess not. Anyway, I tried Armada 2526 and found it incredibly dull. I played for about 30 minutes and have no desire to play again. Wasted money.

December 6, 2011 8:18:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Er somehow I missed my post. Ignore above.

December 6, 2011 8:19:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Anguille,

Quoting TheBirthdayParty, reply 38I ended up trying Armada 2526. Waste of money. Was bored very quickly. Much too simple.

Without, but I do not see how the game could be improved unless it was drastically changed.

December 6, 2011 11:51:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Anyone tried the second expansion of DW, and care to offer comments? (on the expansion.....thinking about getting it)

December 8, 2011 8:32:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Elana- Been waiting for a 4x that has characters in it (don't know why more 4x games use them). Loving the expansion. Love the borders system. AI you can't colonies my space no more! (unless we are at war  ). 

Diplomacy is better can't just spam gifts and make everyone love you. I don't have to worry as much about other family races ie bugs hating me all the time and waring me off the bat.

The tons of new ship models look great! The new creature silvermist is a beast if you leave it alone for to long. It can clean out parts of the galaxy (I mean that you will see parts of the galaxy be empty and with no areas to colonies its crazy), which then you have to team up with other empires to kill it off.

More tech and wonders are nice! Fleet vectors are a great addition for keep track of fleets. Disasters are a really nice touch to the game. Galaxy feels more alive!

Here is a link of other peoples thoughts on the 2nd expansion if it helps.

Derp Kinda forget how awesome now that races can play differently because of race specific victory conditions and resource bonuses they all get.

December 10, 2011 3:39:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

With Distant Worlds, I bought the original when it first came out, and it was 'neat' but I just couldn't get into it.  I bought the first expansion when it came out and it was 'even more neat' but I still couldn't get into it.

I bought the latest expansion when it came out 2 weeks ago, and now I'm in love with the game.  It just scratches a lot of the right itches for me.  It has all the things you'd expect from a 4X space opera strategy game, but it approaches it in a novel way.  It definitely has aspects of Europa Universalis in Space, which is how a lot of people refer to it.

There's tons of detail to the game, which I love.  You can have planets with mixed alien races, for which you can apply a variety of policies to the races different than your own - assimilate, enslave, exterminate, etc.  There's sophisticated ship design, and a huge list of resources that you need to secure to build those ships.  There's an entirely separate civilian economy with their own ships they control, there are ships full of tourists visiting the resort bases you build to generate tourist income... the list goes on.  Tons of detail.

The truly remarkable thing is that you can automate any or all of it.  Don't enjoy ship design? Automate it.  Don't want to fight your wars? Automate it.  Anything in the game can be automated, to the point that you can put your entire empire on automation if you choose, at which point it's basically an AI empire, but one which you can overrule.  And the automation isn't necessarily all-or-nothing.  You can set it so the automation asks your permission to do things.  It will present you with a list of military ships it wants to buy, which you can approve, reject, or modify.  During a war, you can automate the military operations, but have the AI ask your permission for each and every operation.  Approve the operations you think are in your empire's interests, and let the automation execute them.

I haven't even mentioned the characters, diplomacy, ancient menaces to the galaxy, space monsters, and much more.  And it's all made by a development team that's at the Stardock-level of accessibility, responsiveness and friendliness.  Heck, they just iterated 6 times in 2 weeks with the community on the latest patch, which tweaked some of the rules in response to the feedback.

December 10, 2011 5:17:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Edit: Well looks like I have to eat my words, pass the salt.  There is a holiday discount good until January, not exactly a bundle, however it's for the DD.

December 12, 2011 3:37:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting TheBirthdayParty,

Quoting Anguille,
reply 39

Quoting TheBirthdayParty, reply 38I ended up trying Armada 2526. Waste of money. Was bored very quickly. Much too simple.

Without, but I do not see how the game could be improved unless it was drastically changed.

I have rarely been so turned off by a game that I have not given it more than 30 minutes. Even E:WOM, when it came out, got 6 hours before I gave up for good. Your judgement is of course yours to give, and as quickly as you like, but you seem to be doing a disservice to yourself there.

Because of the very low price tag, I got 2526 and its expansion recently. The expansion does not change the game radically, from what I can see, although I have never played the vanilla version. For its price tag, I think 2526 delivers a fair package.

Likes: lack of micro, "kiss"-design allows for decent AI, decent empire overview, engaging economy, pleasant visuals, varied victory conditions, excellent pacing

Dislikes: UI is decent but suboptimal, AI is decent but improvable, tactical battles are bland, warfare technology is not very varied, movement speed is uniform

The pacing is, in my opinion, by far the game's biggest asset. It seems to go smoothly, from early to mid to late game, with rarely a dull moment. It is certainly not "deep", and there are not too many "wow"-discovery moments (you know, like in Dominions, when you say to yourself: "what a cool trick! I didn't know you could do that like this!"), but it is solid. It also loads fast, runs very stable, and lets you alt-tab in microseconds.

I see lots of room for improvement. Improvement which, it appears, probably wont be happening, which is really too bad. But nevertheless, for 16 Euros investment, 2526 Supernova is a solid SP game. I cannot say the same thing about EWOM even after 1 year. DW's pricetag still has me waiting.

January 4, 2012 7:41:32 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I am playing DW:Legends now.  It is awesome, but it still has some crashes/bugs that they are trying to work out.  I feel it's the best 4x out right now, despite the few crashes I suffer.  But the crashes can be very annoying, especially if you don't set autosave at small intervals.  And late in game in a HUGE galaxy, the saves take quite a bit of time. Still If eel the game is very nice, very modable, and I can't wait till next expansion.

April 9, 2012 5:28:45 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I was toying with both and just threw down with Distant Worlds, with all expansions.  It seemed to have more depth.

Just got through tutorials and started first game. Very excited.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000265   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.