The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Stardock games are apparently coming to Steam

By on November 16, 2011 1:14:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sins just popped up!

If we already own it, can we get a key to register it on Steam? That'd be sweet.

+76 Karma | 61 Replies
November 16, 2011 1:26:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Stardock titles are coming to Steam. 

However, your serial numbers are registered with wherever you bought them. You can't redirect them.

That said, Sins Trinity is only $15 on Steam right now.

November 16, 2011 1:33:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ah well. Hopefully something gets worked out for stuff not out yet (like Rebellion). Steam makes me a happy camper.

November 16, 2011 1:38:30 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Excellent.  I can re-buy Sins on Steam and get rid of Gamestop completely.  Then again if Stardock Central is coming back I don't mind using that and Sins we bought on Impulse would be available in SDC, correct?

November 16, 2011 1:53:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting bonscott,
Excellent.  I can re-buy Sins on Steam and get rid of Gamestop completely.  Then again if Stardock Central is coming back I don't mind using that and Sins we bought on Impulse would be available in SDC, correct?

If you got in on the Rebellion pre-order discount for people who already had Trinity then it likely won't matter since you'll just get Rebellion on SDC (and I hope to be able to get that on Steam).

Hopefully our previous Sins purchases show up on SDC too, that'd be nice.

November 16, 2011 1:56:47 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Your products on your Stardock account will show up in SDC.

November 16, 2011 4:52:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wow. Sooner than I expected. Hopefully more sales for you guys.

November 16, 2011 5:06:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Island Dog,
Your products on your Stardock account will show up in SDC.

How will SDC and Steam interact?

November 16, 2011 5:44:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
Stardock titles are coming to Steam. 

However, your serial numbers are registered with wherever you bought them. You can't redirect them.

That said, Sins Trinity is only $15 on Steam right now.

Other developer was able to unlock their title on steam or other platforms. I thought Sins was a Stardock game and that shouldn't be a problem. Can you please explain why it is not possibile?

November 16, 2011 5:53:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My guess: it costs money.  Why would Steam let you use their services without getting a cut of the money?

That said,  I'm happy that Steam folks will get to see Stardock games.

November 16, 2011 6:24:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Alstein,
My guess: it costs money.  Why would Steam let you use their services without getting a cut of the money?

This is a very good reason for Steam to let them use their services for "free". If I could re-register on Steam or GamersGate, I'd do so immediately.

Quoting bonscott,

November 16, 2011 8:15:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Cruxador,
How will SDC and Steam interact?

Not in any way I would imagine.  Steam is just another outlet for our games to be available from.

Quoting Picciu,
Other developer was able to unlock their title on steam or other platforms. I thought Sins was a Stardock game and that shouldn't be a problem. Can you please explain why it is not possibile?

One situation doesn't always apply to another.  The keys are tied to the service they were bought from, and therefore they won't be transferrable.

November 16, 2011 8:54:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What about for those of us that were early adopters of Elemental? The whole 'get the first two expansions free' deal thing. Are they going to still be tied to Impulse or can we get Steam keys for them since they have yet to be released.

November 16, 2011 8:58:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd prefer a SDC/Steam tie-in to a SDC/Impulse tie in if that's possible.  If it's just SDC I'm ok with that, just don't make me use Impulse ever again.

November 16, 2011 9:02:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting eelektrik,
What about for those of us that were early adopters of Elemental? The whole 'get the first two expansions free' deal thing. Are they going to still be tied to Impulse or can we get Steam keys for them since they have yet to be released.

That deal is a Stardock direct thing so you'd get those updates from Stardock Central. Not Steam or Impulse.

November 16, 2011 9:41:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

How stupid are you people? Steam is just another outlet for Stardock to sell their product.

cd key changes,having to buy twice,I bought Elemental I want the whole Steam catalog for free...No,No,No!!!

Congrats..Stardock..you will sell many more...

November 16, 2011 10:51:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

THANK YOU! *ahem*

For the love of all that is, I did not want to keep using the new Impulse after the Gamestop merger.

I will gladly use the new SDC  and thank you for making it! 

November 16, 2011 11:28:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Island Dog,
Not in any way I would imagine.  Steam is just another outlet for our games to be available from.

about "outlet"... i have previously buy from Kalipso ( French/German ) but a russian friend have inform me about a russian distributor :

- http://games.1c.ru/sins_of_solar_empire/?type=info

- http://www.snowball.ru/sins/

Is it a LEGAL distributor for your game? Ask about it because i have some Russian friend located in Belgium who like Soase ( they have a legal Trinity version ) but they are ready to buy again the 1C/snowball Trinity version due to the Russian localization...

I have doubt about the legality because patch for sins or trinity ( called "sins gold" ) come directly from 1C/Snowball in the form of a .exe and not via Impulse...

Is it possible that you list ALL the legal distributor ( worldwide ) on http://www.sinsofasolarempire.com/store ?

Well, if they are not legal, there is work to do for your lawyer...

November 17, 2011 12:24:39 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting wbino,
Congrats..Stardock..you will sell many more...

I hope... already 2000000 soase copy sell but only 20 online player on ICO... a cheap steam sale of trinity can only increase the amount of people who will play online...

November 17, 2011 5:08:00 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting bonscott,

Uh? you prefer steam over gamestop/impulse?

Frankly i can't understand the opposition to Impulse/Gamestop...the service and the range of games is way better than steam...it's plain ridiculous to be opposed to it because of Gamestop's history.

November 17, 2011 8:02:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Thoumsin,
a russian friend have inform me about a russian distributor :

- http://games.1c.ru/sins_of_solar_empire/?type=info

- http://www.snowball.ru/sins/

Is it a LEGAL distributor for your game?

Yes. Snowball/1C was the Russian publisher of the game. IIRC they did GalCiv2 as well.

November 17, 2011 10:01:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Good, means a wider audience for your games.  I use steam all the time, I like it quite a bit.  I wish I hadn't listened to the angry nerd hyperbole rants about steam and used it sooner.

November 17, 2011 10:29:41 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I am curious to hear what's better from Steam than from Impulse...

So far i am happy not to have fallen into the nerd hyperbole rants about Gamestop and the nerd hyperbole rave about Steam.

November 17, 2011 11:13:41 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Anguille,

I've had to download from both this week... Impulse was still ~50% faster, so it still has the edge on that front (as will the new SDC).

Many people like Steam's social features, but if you don't care for any of that, then there's really nothing to recommend Steam over any other alternative. Personally I just want it to give me the game and get out of the way.

November 17, 2011 11:18:45 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

For me, it depends on the size of the game.

If it's a LARGE sized game, I'll get it from Impulse pretty much no matter what because Impulse's download speeds are the fastest of any of them by a significant margin (i.e. on Battlefield 3 it would have taken another 2 hours to get it via Origin direct).  

If it's smaller, I'll go by price unless it is using Steamworks at which point, I will tend to pick Steam.

November 17, 2011 12:16:31 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting kryo,

Quoting Anguille,
reply 22

I've had to download from both this week... Impulse was still ~50% faster, so it still has the edge on that front (as will the new SDC).

Many people like Steam's social features, but if you don't care for any of that, then there's really nothing to recommend Steam over any other alternative. Personally I just want it to give me the game and get out of the way.

Also some games use Steamworks only for Steam version of that game and those features are very usefull - for example Steam Cloud.

In my case size of game isnt a problem, because Steam almost always max. my connection.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000657   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.