The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

The Official "Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim" MEGAThread

Are you ready?

By on November 10, 2011 12:38:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

ZehDon

Join Date 04/2009
+115

Skyrim's street date has been broken in Australia by a solid 10 hours, however - because Steam owns PC Gaming - it can't be installed until midnight.  So, until then, I get to stare at my legally purchased, worthless piece of plastic that amounts to little more than a Steam Activation code.  DRM's a real bitch.

Doesn't change the fact that I'm still very, very excited - enough so to buy it regardless of the Steam bullshit it's shackled to.  Anyone else pumped for what has the potential to be Game of the Year?

Locked Post 228 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 24, 2011 5:22:59 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,

You guys are right, I should have said "relatively". Because while it is intrusive, it is nowhere near as intrusive as many other DRM "solutions".

Yeah it's about as intrusive as a fly getting in your house, and a lot less annoying!

November 26, 2011 10:49:51 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

RE: no old nordic g-ds in Skyrim.

I found a quest line based in a shack way out in the wilderness.   Its not documented, yet, on any of the boards.  Old hunter there bemoans the lack of respect for the old ways.  Sends avatar on  several quests to hunt the big nastys... yes, a troll den,  is the last quest.  Reward is   an amulet that gives the wearer 10% reduction in damage from  animals.   Thats a bigie when you find trolls.   

edit to add spoiler tags

this quest is posted now on the wiki site

November 27, 2011 11:28:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Finally finished the main story. Or I think I did. Not entirely sure, there's no ending cinematic, scrolling credits, or any such thing. But now I can summon dragons and heroes of old. Now. When I finished it. I'm really sad that I spent 40 hours mucking about with sidequests. I should have gone for the main quest, finished it as fast as I could. Then I could enjoy the sidequests with those nifty powers.

Also, really, how do I disable that HDR/eye adjustment to light thing, it's annoying. 

November 27, 2011 2:24:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
You think it might be possible people to discuss the game without any spoilers?
November 27, 2011 2:48:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

MEGA kind of implies spoilers. It's not like the main story is very mysterious. You can pretty much sum it up in a sentence or two.

November 27, 2011 4:02:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It IS common courtesy with a game like this though.

November 27, 2011 4:28:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah, there is a spoiler tag, wouldn't hurt anyone if you used it.

Code: php
  1. [spoiler][/spoiler]
November 27, 2011 6:18:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ok, mega thread did indicate to me that the topics were wide open.  However, in deference to your concern, I won't post any further items that migth be construed by some people as spiliers.   My apologies to all ...    will edit previous posts

November 27, 2011 11:10:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

and thx for taking the time to edit any spoilers out.  By all means make the spoilers as long as you block em out.  Thanks

November 28, 2011 12:35:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I think the older you are the more you appreciate the grandeur that is Skyrim. I remember staring at Ultima Underworld playing on a monitor at my local E.B. in amazement. Shining in the Darkness made me feel like I was there. It amazes me at what's to come.

November 28, 2011 3:32:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thank god patches are flying out this week for all platforms, ps3 has it, xbox and pc get it on Wednesday.

November 28, 2011 11:07:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quest help....   SPOILER UNDER HERE  --->     I have the three fragments of the amulet in the forbidden quest.  (The quest where the names of the three sons has been removed from all records, back in the first age.)   I have no idea what to do with the three fragments.  Forge them together, but no forge will do it.  The quest log says to get fragment in  <fill in name of location>.  I have three of these quest log entries, one each pointing to one of the htree locations where I found the fragments.   What now? 

November 30, 2011 3:52:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ElanaAhova,
Quest help....   SPOILER UNDER HERE  --->     I have the three fragments of the amulet in the forbidden quest.  (The quest where the names of the three sons has been removed from all records, back in the first age.)   I have no idea what to do with the three fragments.  Forge them together, but no forge will do it.  The quest log says to get fragment in  <fill in name of location>.  I have three of these quest log entries, one each pointing to one of the htree locations where I found the fragments.   What now? 

I just finished that quest. The "forge" is actually a small dungeon far to the west (use the "locate on map" feature) between Rorikstead and Markarth. Bring health potions.

November 30, 2011 7:05:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

@ magog aow   yes, thank you.  I did findd the needed site.  I remembered seeing three pedistals together in one of the sites.  I went back, did the obvious thing three amulet parts, three pedistals and completed the quest.  Cool.  Yes, bringing many health potions was indeed good advice.  Thanks again. 

December 1, 2011 12:17:24 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting pacov,
Are there any good pc mods out yet? 

Some of the graphics mods are quite nice. I'm using the 4Gig Memory Unlocker, Colorful Dragons, Nude Females (when you take off the armor of course), Post Process Injector (custom settings and is a HUGE Improvement) , and the HD Texture Packs from the guy who did the HR Textures for Whiterun. The game looks simply Jaw Dropping on my system. All of them are on Skyrim Nexus.

December 1, 2011 8:48:03 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Yeah - I need to take a look again at Skyrim nexus.  Grabbed a few mods shortly after launch and I'm about due for another look.  Thanks for the list!

December 1, 2011 11:18:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If I manage to fix my PC while I'm on vacation this month, I'm going to start the game again, and mod it to hell and beyond. The interface especially, I hated it to no end, but now I see there's a mod for that. I just wish there was a way to mod the Morrowind interface into it, sadly, that's impossible. Also, a minimap would have been nice, although... funny story. When I played Morrowind the first time for 3 months, I had a SiS 315 video card that didn't get along well with the game, so I couldn't see my character in the inventory, and the mini-map was just blank, but I think the little squares were still there.

December 1, 2011 12:04:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting pacov,
Yeah - I need to take a look again at Skyrim nexus.  Grabbed a few mods shortly after launch and I'm about due for another look.  Thanks for the list!

Don't mention it brother , no problem at all. I highly recommend the mods I mentioned if your system has the graphical capabilities to handle it.

On a side note, I was going to do a "Rav'N Reviews" on Skyrim and post it here for my review friends and fans but Don beat me to the all encompassing Skyrim mega thread here and I'd rather not attach it to this thread but give it it's own. However I don't want to clutter up the forums with multiple posts about the same game especially seeing as how much of what I would mention and talk about has already been covered by others in various replies to this thread. If enough people would like a Rav'N Review of Skyrim though I'd be happy to do one.

December 1, 2011 12:28:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yes, raven ... do your review  and update it....  would be good to have a clearing house to discuss graphical and UI mods....

December 1, 2011 12:34:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Heads up:

For us less than hardcore

Hit ~

Type in: FOV 90

enter

Then save game

gives alot more field of vision.

btw 22" monitor

December 1, 2011 2:18:07 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

FOV 85 on 28in.  Much better for me

December 1, 2011 5:07:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm aboard the 85, 90 feels too distant in the middle in skyrim imho.

December 2, 2011 11:44:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

FOV change via console.  I remember that in tesIV, some FOV ranges crashed the game.  Anyone found a breakpoint when playing with the FOV settings in Skyrim?  Personally, I like the first person point of view so I havn't changed it on my install.  I suppose, for getting some sweet screen shots, FOV changes would be helpful.   So, how does one go about getting nice screenshots with skyrim?

December 2, 2011 11:46:21 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'm at 90 on the POV on a 24 inch monitor.  Feels good.

The 1.2 patch that just came out this week is broken by the way.  Biggest thing is that resistances is broke.  I've had quite a few CTD's as well that I never had before.  Many others have a lot more issues.  New patch on it's way early next week to fix what this patch broke.  LOL  I'll think I'll play Orcs Must Die this weekend.  

December 2, 2011 11:48:35 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

As for mods I'm only using 2 at the moment:  An ini mod that drastically improves the map.  And Lockpick Pro.  I HATE and have always hates the lockpicking mini-game.  Previous versions though had an "auto" pick lock option.  Skyrim does not.  So Lockpick Pro simply gives you a bar that shows what the sweet spot is to allow you to pick the lock without failing all the time.  This has been a lifesaver for me as the lockpick minigame is just plain stupid in my book.

I'm holding off on other mods until the Creation Kit comes out and more patches come out since patches often break mods.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000266   Page Render Time: