The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Where the Best Indie Games Are Made

By on October 11, 2011 3:29:50 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Arstechnica has a great article up showcasing several indie developers and where they make their great games.  Of course, Stardock is featured!

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/10/bedrooms-boardrooms-and-chicken-farms-where-the-worlds-best-indie-games-get-made.ars/5

+460 Karma | 15 Replies
October 11, 2011 4:00:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Stardock is indie?

October 11, 2011 4:04:44 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Looking at the game on that monitor, how come i get the feeling its Starcraft 2?

October 11, 2011 4:09:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Haha... I always assumed Frogboy had his bees out at his own place, not at the office.

I can just imagine some fresh meat showing up at the company for his/her first workday. Frogboy stands looming eerily at the entrance. "Welcome", he cackles, "let me introduce you to my beeeeeeeeeeeees....". And before long: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4MqTCIDKhU 

October 11, 2011 5:46:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Great article. lol some places are clean and others... we don't talk about them (hazardous materials).

Stardock- Been there and plan so again next summer. Maybe a closer look at those bees this time.

October 11, 2011 7:23:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
Haha... I always assumed Frogboy had his bees out at his own place, not at the office.

heh - i think one of his old demigod dev journals had a video of the hives and him playing with some bees in the building too. 

Anyway, congrats on some more good press!

October 12, 2011 3:12:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nice to see some old friends in the pictures. I know most of the Supercell guys from the days when I worked at Digital Chocolate. The other two studios I've worked at don't exist anymore. I hope that's coincidence, not an effect I've had

The article is slightly outdated already, though. Supercell just moved to a larger office.

October 12, 2011 11:41:46 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm still stoked about the huge bag of swedish fish I spied in that first picture!!! Yumm!!!

October 12, 2011 1:04:02 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The picture with the cat is my desk

Bara

October 12, 2011 2:16:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GunslingerBara,
The picture with the cat is my desk

Bara

its a cute kitty lol

MEOW!!! IMA KITTY!

February 15, 2012 6:46:31 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Personally, I prefer YoYoGames (http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/) and if you love 3D retro games more than most modern super 3D graphics games you should probably agree.

April 9, 2012 12:07:29 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ARTHANASIOS,
Personally, I prefer YoYoGames (http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/) and if you love 3D retro games more than most modern super 3D graphics games you should probably agree.

NO! This is for Sins and all its glories. "YOU HAVE FEHLED!" - Indrick Boreale

April 16, 2012 8:04:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Cruxador,
Stardock is indie?

Can't speak for anybody else, but it's always seemed to me that if some head developer sits around afterhours discussing the latest game session they've had with their friends, chances are they're indie.  If the head developer sits around afterhours discussing how well their stocks are doing with their friends, they're Game Industry.

Of course, this is just a quick and dirty method of evaluation, but as good as any other.

April 19, 2012 9:53:07 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Glazunov1,

Quoting Cruxador, reply 1Stardock is indie?

Can't speak for anybody else, but it's always seemed to me that if some head developer sits around afterhours discussing the latest game session they've had with their friends, chances are they're indie.  If the head developer sits around afterhours discussing how well their stocks are doing with their friends, they're Game Industry.

Of course, this is just a quick and dirty method of evaluation, but as good as any other.

Where does Valve fit in? They aren't publicly traded, but I doubt anyone would call them indie...

Bara

April 19, 2012 11:05:34 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
I can just imagine some fresh meat showing up at the company for his/her first workday. Frogboy stands looming eerily at the entrance. "Welcome", he cackles, "let me introduce you to my beeeeeeeeeeeees...."
Old post . . but I wanted to to share one of the new-hire welcome signs we had:

April 19, 2012 11:19:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GunslingerBara,

Quoting Glazunov1, reply 12
Quoting Cruxador, reply 1Stardock is indie?

Where does Valve fit in? They aren't publicly traded, but I doubt anyone would call them indie...

Bara

True, but the stocks they discuss don't have to be their company's.  Just their portfolios. 

It's a question of what one values in a workplace situation.  A friend of mine worked for a few years for Origin Systems both in its pre-EA days and a year afterwards.  He said that their were staff around all the time, including in the dead of night, playing games and chatting.  The atmosphere was relaxed, and congenial.  When EA took over, the administrative mindset changed.  Goal end dates, which had been flexible, became fixed.  Mandatory classes began in work ethic.  The executives knew nothing about the games; they were a separate tier of managers, as in much industry, who saw employees in terms of resources, only.

I'm not suggesting that one system is necessarily better than the other.  But av various companies have shown (Z Theory management, and all that crap), when management share a common knowledge base and drive with other employees whom they manage, channels of communication remain open, morale remains higher, and more creative work gets done.

I'm getting too near mounting a soapbox.  Best let it go at that.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.