The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Other games for Megalomaniacs?

By on September 28, 2011 11:14:16 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Of the interstellar war genre, I've played and liked both Sins of a Solar Empire and Sword of the Stars. I've also played Galactic Civilizations, which although okay is not at the same level as SotS. The Titan class ship in the new version of Sins sounds like a reason why I might want to buy it, and probably will, but are there any other games of this type out there? It is rather awesome to conquer the universe, and it would be cool to see what other games offer the chance to play at doing so. Anyone know of any others?

+15 Karma | 11 Replies
September 28, 2011 11:21:00 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

How much do you care about the graphical quality of the game?

September 28, 2011 11:23:31 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Wrath89,
How much do you care about the graphical quality of the game?

My current rig was top notch back in 2009, so it depends on whether the game is 64 vista compatible or allows for adjustment down to this machine's level.

September 28, 2011 11:35:21 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm personally a big fan of old-school strategy games and don't care about graphics in the slightest, which is why I was asking. One of my favorites is Stars!. I also like the Space Empires series.

September 28, 2011 12:37:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Wrath89,
I'm personally a big fan of old-school strategy games and don't care about graphics in the slightest, which is why I was asking. One of my favorites is Stars!. I also like the Space Empires series.

That looks rather cool. Somewhat reminiscent of some of the visual basic games that were on Galaxy of Games back in the 90's. I do enjoy the space battles of SoaSE and SotS though, but there is something to be said about older games that worked within the limits of their programing languages.

September 28, 2011 12:42:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Nexus: Jupiter Incident might strike your fancy.

September 28, 2011 12:44:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting boshimi336,
Nexus: Jupiter Incident might strike your fancy.

Wasn't that a window's 95 game? Any idea if it might work on Vista?

September 28, 2011 12:48:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting numerarius5988am,

Quoting boshimi336, reply 5Nexus: Jupiter Incident might strike your fancy.

Wasn't that a window's 95 game? Any idea if it might work on Vista?

"Release date(s) November 5, 2004"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nexus:_The_Jupiter_Incident

September 28, 2011 1:07:28 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The Nexus game was really a pre-Sins effort at Sins.  Ship numbers were smaller and it was taxing on lower end systems due to slow net connections and technology--but it was a great effort.

September 28, 2011 1:35:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sounds cool. Do either of you know if it will work on Vista?

September 29, 2011 12:52:32 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'll be trying out the 130mb demo tomorrow so we'll see if it works on Win7. They are actually making a sequel to this game called Nexus 2. The people from the original company reformed into a new company.

September 29, 2011 11:45:10 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Cool.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.