The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Fallen Enchantress: Being the better person

By on September 14, 2011 8:58:17 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1443

Gone are  “points” to throw into stats. Instead, players gain special abilities when they level up. The higher the level, the more exotic the choices become.

Locked Post 55 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 15, 2011 4:45:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
We should be given a choice to either pickup a stat upgrade or ability whenever hero/sov level up. Usually picking up just stat upgrade is not fun but a evil necessary as the fame goes by. The main goal of stat upgrade is probably to Keep it relevant in late game, as there will be more foes and enemy become stronger However, taking a higher level view, what is the role of hero/sov ? Beside the obvious answers we all know, I have yet to see if it do any boast to the stack it I'd traveling with. It should be more like a lone wolf that can cast spell. Would it be nicer that many of the ability picked up here is not stat booastint but boast the stack as a team? Let me call them Leadership skills. Some example will be: Armmaster that inrease def stat any troop in stack wearing armor Firemen that increase fire resistance of the stack Ghostbuster skill that allow stack to ignore fear effects The point is that heroes should allow stack customization by leadership skills. I thought it was done well in warlord 3 , but correct me if wrong Simply stat boasting is not fun, so you may want to simply that either by my 'template'ish suggestion many replies above. Or even better, allow ability levels like Quick 1 quick 2 quick 3 etc
September 15, 2011 5:20:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

In WOM, Charisma was of minimal importance. Will this trait have more importance in FE?

Example: Some hero's can only be recruited by Sovereigns or Hero's of a >= Charisma rating. Will charisma have some effect on tactical battles; such as your ability to rally broken troops? Will Charisma increase your chance to retain a Champion after losing a battle?

September 15, 2011 6:13:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You need to choose whether traits are named with adjectives or nouns and be consistent about it. "Quick" is an adjective, all the others in this screen shot are nouns.

The label "Affected Stats" is also confusing for the list it heads. You need to change the label or limit the list to the primary and derived stats that the new trait would affect. 

September 15, 2011 7:58:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Traits that affect stats should not be shown on the Sovs infocard. Like if you take 'Quick' then give the statboost and then it's never seen again. Cause otherwise that would mean that after 7 lvls checking through an enemy Sov would be a bit tiresome. So only checking stats + possible special abilities (like 'Counterattack') is better.

September 15, 2011 8:50:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It doesn't seem like making a character. I prefer something like in a more traditional RPG.

But I hate the way sovereign creation was implemented in WoM so it is certainly worth a try.

September 15, 2011 10:28:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Lookin' good! I'd like to request the special abilities "Lady Killa" or "Most Interesting Sovereign in the World". Something along those lines. I can get my RPG on.

September 16, 2011 12:36:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Why do I want a game of thrones mod more and more...

September 16, 2011 12:39:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting pacov,
Why do I want a game of thrones mod more and more...

Here ya go:

September 16, 2011 12:46:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

LMAO - hehe.  Great vid and thx for posting. 

Still, I do think elemental could lend itself nicely to a game of thrones style mod.

Create your sovereign, choose a family, add quests based on family and world events - depending on how the mod system is implemented around quests, this sounds pretty doable to me anyway.

September 16, 2011 10:35:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Edwin99,
In WOM, Charisma was of minimal importance. Will this trait have more importance in FE?

Example: Some hero's can only be recruited by Sovereigns or Hero's of a >= Charisma rating. Will charisma have some effect on tactical battles; such as your ability to rally broken troops? Will Charisma increase your chance to retain a Champion after losing a battle?

Yes, Charisma is a very very important stat in Fallen Enchantress. It's the only stat that is useful exclusively out of combat and is something a player who is focusing on building up his cities and population should focus on

September 16, 2011 10:42:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Clarifying Question: Will the list be weighted based on

A: Soveriegn type (EI: I choose caster or warrior or leader)

B: Based on my selection of attributes (EI: Counterattack more likely with dexterity > 10)

C: By some other factor like faction, map, recent encounter

Or will it not be weigthed at all ?

September 17, 2011 4:39:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

September 17, 2011 4:45:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wow... I am starting to want cancer.

September 17, 2011 4:50:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Work in progress.

September 17, 2011 5:20:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So is that last character a Champion / Channeler? It reads like she is a 'natural' magic user and can cast spells from the start. I'm all for it since more variety in Champions is a very good thing, but it is a departure from the idea of the Chanellers being rare and leading the various factions.

September 17, 2011 5:44:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

They have magic knowledge but still must be imbued by a Channeler.  Looks to me like the text needs to be tweaked to make that distinction clear.

Knowledge of magical lore is very important in Elemental as much of it has been lost since the first age. But only Channelers can cast general spells (or those they imbue).

There are Sions still, these are beings who are essentially one-trick magicians but that's not what we're talking about here.

September 18, 2011 12:47:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
They have magic knowledge but still must be imbued by a Channeler.  Looks to me like the text needs to be tweaked to make that distinction clear.

Knowledge of magical lore is very important in Elemental as much of it has been lost since the first age. But only Channelers can cast general spells (or those they imbue).

There are Sions still, these are beings who are essentially one-trick magicians but that's not what we're talking about here.

Thanks for the reply and info. So in the case of this character, would the three magic abilities listed be considered 'Sion abilities' are are those magic abilities / skills gained after leveling up? From your post it doesn't sound like it. So what is the purpose of having magic knowledge prior to being imbued, and how does that work from a lore perspective?

On a related note, it would be useful to say what level a character is on their character sheet.

September 18, 2011 1:22:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Boo - why'd you have to provide an explanation for sweep?  If only you'd have clicked on a different attribute for that screenshot.  I personally will have a sovereign that is good at sweeping floors.  pacov shall be his name. 

September 18, 2011 1:33:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So it is the same as people who study magic in this dimension. They can totally understand how it works, but lack the ability to use it. That is pretty much what I imagined for the "wizards" in WoM. Basically just old men with staves until I come and grant them my essence. 

September 18, 2011 3:03:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ya, the way I thought it worked was the Channeler had an innate ability to draw power from the magic shards. He could then share access to that power through imbuing people. Champions may understand how magic works, but they just don't have the ability to draw power from the shards. Remember, before the cataclysm there were no shards, and the power was free "in the air". This magic knowledge has probably been passed down through the generations, but the ability to draw power from the shards is something new.

September 18, 2011 3:46:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Goontrooper,

Quoting Frogboy, reply 41They have magic knowledge but still must be imbued by a Channeler.  Looks to me like the text needs to be tweaked to make that distinction clear.

Thanks for the reply and info. So in the case of this character, would the three magic abilities listed be considered 'Sion abilities' are are those magic abilities / skills gained after leveling up? From your post it doesn't sound like it. So what is the purpose of having magic knowledge prior to being imbued, and how does that work from a lore perspective?

On a related note, it would be useful to say what level a character is on their character sheet.
Having read Derek's explanation of this from before, I can explain: The traits listed there are what that character knows of magic. They don't entail the ability to actually use magic, it's purely theoretical knowledge. Right now, it's of no practical use (unless there's something that uses it that hasn't been revealed yet).0 If you imbue the character, the character becomes a channeler. Then those skills define which spells the character has access to.

September 18, 2011 7:27:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting pacov,
Boo - why'd you have to provide an explanation for sweep?  If only you'd have clicked on a different attribute for that screenshot.  I personally will have a sovereign that is good at sweeping floors.  pacov shall be his name. 

And 'Vital Strike II' sounds like a Steven Seagal movie. I wany a hero called Leeboy that fights entirely with quick hand movements whilst all the time looking a bit fat.

September 18, 2011 11:00:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting leeboy26,
And 'Vital Strike II' sounds like a Steven Seagal movie. I wany a hero called Leeboy that fights entirely with quick hand movements whilst all the time looking a bit fat.

September 18, 2011 2:46:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
They have magic knowledge but still must be imbued by a Channeler. Looks to me like the text needs to be tweaked to make that distinction clear.

You also need a few more commas in there, to make it scan properly...

September 18, 2011 4:48:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Are the fonts going to be change for FE? The ones in WoM were very pedestrian and not very condusive for setting the mood. It's a little thing but in WoM they all added up to a big thing.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000468   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.