The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

A Warning For Anyone Buying Deus Ex: Human Revolution From Gamestop

By on August 25, 2011 7:07:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There's a coupon in boxed copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution for a free OnLive version of the game. Gamestop opened up your box and took it out continuing to sell the game as new.

Kotaku: GameStop Policy: Open Your Games, Steal Your Codes, Sell Game Like New

+8 Karma | 10 Replies
August 25, 2011 7:12:25 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Already a post on this.  Thanks though.

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/411466

August 25, 2011 8:26:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

According to other sources, they should have pulled the game from their shelves. You shouldn't be able to buy it any longer.

http://kotaku.com/5834169/gamestop-pulls-pc-deus-ex-human-revolution-from-shelves-following-onlive-debacle 

@stant123 the off-topic forum isn't accessible from the elemental forums.

August 25, 2011 10:57:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well it was also brought up in the other Deus Ex thread in this very forum.

The whole thing is pretty ridiculous. Gamestop is complaining the coupon helps their competition and so they won't sell it... but they sell how many Steamworks games? How inconsistent can you possibly get?

Not that it matters to me because I stopped shopping at Gamesuck after the time I went to buy a game and got treated to a lecture on why I should have pre-ordered instead. I then walked across the street to Future Shop who were perfectly happy to sell me the game, and never looked back.  The shadyness of opening "new" boxes is just another strike against them.

August 25, 2011 11:17:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Games being bundled with any shop is the real problem. But, as you say, they should ban steamworks games as well.

August 25, 2011 5:22:59 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Simply put, the fact they pulled content from boxes, plus censored their own forums over the outcry- even if they have a case (they do), what they did is still unacceptable.

Stuff like this REALLY wants me to have Stardock put their games on Steam, Impulse, AND re-start DDL of their own games SDC-style.

I am now very close to not buying from Gamestop again (I'll keep it on my system JUST for FE)

August 25, 2011 7:04:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
@stant123 the off-topic forum isn't accessible from the elemental forums.

Did not know that.  Thanks.

August 25, 2011 7:34:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Stant123,
Did not know that. Thanks.

Since the Impulse move the forums have been separated, Stant.

August 25, 2011 11:46:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wish I found this surprising, but my decision to stop using Impulse in favor of Gog.com is more justified every time I look at it.  I will never purchase another Stardock game via Impulse. 

Note: I love their games, respect their development process, and think FE is looking very promising, just a note for whomever makes the decisions about if a media edition is worth it.  I want to give you money, I just won't via Impulse again. 

Anyone up for a little Internet protest via the golden rule?  Uninstall Elemental and or any other large game, let it download until almost done, then cancel.  Repeat.  Lets see how fast we can make the GameStop servers hit a petabyte of bandwidth bills.  It might be unethical and feel like your stealing / vandalizing, but its as legal as their actions. 

August 26, 2011 12:52:07 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Zeta1127,
Since the Impulse move the forums have been separated, Stant.

I don't pay attention to minor details like that. 

Besides, if I can see them both from the sins forums, how am I supposed to know that you can't from the elemental forums?  Seems kind of stupid to me.

August 26, 2011 1:25:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Stant123,
Seems kind of stupid to me.

Indeed.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000437   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.