The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Patent Sitting: Now the fun begins

Grab a chair.

By on July 25, 2011 9:15:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

For those unfamiliar with the term, "patent sitting", or "patent trolls", refers to company's who own patents that are not actively using them: they patented a concept, an idea, without actually producing something.  Normally, this isn't a bad thing: in today's world, it's probably a good idea to patent something when you first dream it up, so someone can't steal your thunder.
The problem, then, is when the patent granted is so incredibly vague that it's clearly designed to catch as many individual and unrelated ideas as possible.  Patenting something like "a device linked through a USB Port that gives control input to a computer system based on key strokes made by the user", for example, grants you ownership of every keyboard on the planet.  You now have the legal standing to demand compensation and ownership of the infringing products.  You just became one of the richest people in history.  Good for you.
Patenting something, waiting a while, and then launching a series of law suites against people who - unwittingly - infringed upon your patent rights has become quite a profitable business of late, and it's finally starting to get interesting.

Patent mud-slinging had been happening for some time, due to the frankly ridiculous laws around patents and the aburd nature of what constitutes a "patent".  Sony were stopped from selling Playstation 3 due the mere suggestion that it infringed upon patents.  The mobile phone world had it's first bomb-shell this year with a wonderful patent.

A helpful quote:

"The patent is #7,679,604, “Method and apparatus for controlling a computer system,” and it describes motion control as a means of interacting with smartphones and the like.

The invention, the patent’s authors explain, “facilitates an intuitive motion control of the application by physically manipulating the electronic device…it enables a user to intuitively control the state and/or displayed content of a computing device without the conventional need of pressing button(s), or manipulating a trackpad, trackball, etc. In this regard, the motion control agent represents a new paradigm in user control of computing systems.”

Sounds quite a bit like the motion control you find today in Apple’s (AAPL) iPhone, doesn’t it? Or in Palm’s (PALM) Pre. Or Google’s (GOOG) Nexus One (ironically, one of the inventors to which the patent is credited is a Google engineer). Or Motorola’s (MOT) Droid. Or Nokia’s (NOK) 5800."

That one is still playing out, to my knowledge.

Well, here's another wonderful storm brewing.  And this one is going hurt.

"Last month, Texas-based Lodsys contacted a number of App Store developers who have implemented an in-app upgrades model in their games, demanding a percentage of revenues made due to the use of a Lodsys' patent on the model."

They want licence fees and revenue for anything that uses an "in-app upgrades model".  I recommend reading it a bit further, there is more to it than that, however it's so incredibly vague that it covers a very, very large number of games.  Independant or not, Lodsys now has the legal right to demand licencing fees, revenue and compensation from every infringing game.  They just became insanely wealthly.  And greedy.  They've added EA Games to their list, on top of Apple.  Apple and EA Games are giants, and they don't lose - they have more money for this kind of crap than most of us will ever have in their entire lives.

So, we get to sit back and watch as this interesting keg of power (slowly, thanks to the speed of the legal system) explodes.  I'm putting my money on a bunch of hush money settlements, followed by EA and Apple funding the collective shit out of (re)election campaigns of anyone who can effect the reform of patent laws.

+115 Karma | 10 Replies
July 25, 2011 11:02:07 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Imagination is greater than knowledge, but the monetary system restricts our innovative (and humane) potential.

I'm putting my money on a bunch of hush money settlements, followed by EA and Apple funding the collective shit out of (re)election campaigns of anyone who can effect the reform of patent laws.

You cannot be serious.  Must we always assume that the next candidate with a better message will be better then the last [so long as we choose more carefully]?

The latest presidential candidate presented a different tone -- a change of the status quo.

What has changed?

What about the person before the last?  What promises did we hear then?

And the person before that?

The only purpose for voting is to trick ourselves into believing that we make the difference.  In fact, if you remove all the faces and the colors of the parties from politics in this country (the USA) for the last 100 years, you'll see a clear direction of the country given the policies that were adopted (both domestic and foreign).

"A lie told often enough becomes the truth" -- Lenin

Every four years (elections) we keep lying to ourselves.  And every day the media reports on the party feud highlights.

Wake up people.

-.-

July 25, 2011 11:03:30 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Here we go again....

July 25, 2011 11:21:12 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

hahahaha

This makes me want to make some stupid patents and become fabulously wealthy and hated by everybody!

July 27, 2011 11:15:52 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

If we ever encountered alien intelligence, patents would become so meaningless.

"Hey, you know the idea for your plasma cannon?  We came up with that ten years ago and filed a patent.  Give us money."

<No.> *plasma cannon obliterates patent holder*

July 28, 2011 3:18:22 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

"Patent sitting" has its rewards.....

Once upon a time there was this bloke who invented the intermittent windscreen wiper.....and the car companies weren't interested.....

....look it up....worth a giggle...

July 28, 2011 3:21:51 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting MarvinKosh,
"Hey, you know the idea for your plasma cannon?  We came up with that ten years ago and filed a patent.  Give us money."

*plasma cannon obliterates patent holder*

ROFL  . I needed a good laugh.

July 28, 2011 10:59:48 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I was going to take out a patent on bullshit... but Apple beat me to it.

July 28, 2011 12:48:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting starkers,
I was going to take out a patent on bullshit... but Apple beat me to it.
That's like patenting hydrogen.

July 28, 2011 7:45:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If you can patent genes and sit on them, why not patent hydrogen?

July 29, 2011 10:45:40 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'm putting my money on a bunch of hush money settlements, followed by EA and Apple funding the collective shit out of (re)election campaigns of anyone who can effect the reform of patent laws.

The Supreme Court has ruled three times that mathmatical algorithms cannot be patented, and that is what software is. And nothing less that disallowing software to be patented (it can be copyrighted, and is the only thing you can do both) is the only reform that would be meaningful.

http://blogs.forbes.com/timothylee/2011/07/28/the-supreme-court-should-invalidate-software-patents/

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000484   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.