The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Pasting and quoting issues

By on July 20, 2011 4:51:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Often I write a post up in notepad before putting it online. However, when I paste it into the posting text box on this forum:

(1) It's never word-wrapped, creating serious difficulties when trying to read it

(the only solution I've found is to edit the HTML source and manually insert <p> and </p> at the beginning and ends of paragraphs)

(2) The browser zooms to the very bottom of the screen, wayyy past my text, forcing me to scroll up again

And, when quoting someone, if I quote them more than once, often the forum fails to register the [/quote] tags until the very end, creating very messy and inaccurate quote trees.

BBCode is much easier and much less buggy to work with.

+18 Karma | 9 Replies
August 1, 2011 12:50:45 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Is this acknowledged to be a problem?

August 1, 2011 1:11:18 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Use Wordpad. Works better.

August 1, 2011 1:17:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

And, when quoting someone, if I quote them more than once, often the forum fails to register the [/quote] tags until the very end, creating very messy and inaccurate quote trees.

particularly if one of the quotes is from the original post.... it then puts everything in the one quote box... it's been getting very messy lately...

August 1, 2011 1:19:20 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Wrath89,

Depends on what you think is a problem.

Often I write a post up in notepad before putting it online.

Same here.

It's never word-wrapped, creating serious difficulties when trying to read it

Never had that happen to me, though I usually turn off the word wrap feature in notepad when I'm ready to copy from it.  Pasting here works just fine.

(the only solution I've found is to edit the HTML source and manually insert <p> and </p> at the beginning and ends of paragraphs)

Or when you're typing in notepad, hit enter twice to leave a full line space and the forum will mimic it and put in a gap.

(2) The browser zooms to the very bottom of the screen, wayyy past my text, forcing me to scroll up again

Happens to me too, I just hit the up arrow on my keyboard one single time and it's all good.

And, when quoting someone, if I quote them more than once, often the forum fails to register the quote tags until the very end, creating very messy and inaccurate quote trees.

Working just fine as I type this.  It doesn't create quote boxes or anything like that, but I'm smart enough to not type in the text I'm quoting.

Maybe, maybe not.  Either way, it didn't get used and the current set up functions well enough.

August 1, 2011 2:00:43 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Stant123,

Quoting Wrath89,
reply 1

Depends on what you think is a problem.

Often I write a post up in notepad before putting it online.

Same here.

It's never word-wrapped, creating serious difficulties when trying to read it

Never had that happen to me, though I usually turn off the word wrap feature in notepad when I'm ready to copy from it.  Pasting here works just fine.

Or when you're typing in notepad, hit enter twice to leave a full line space and the forum will mimic it and put in a gap.

Happens to me too, I just hit the up arrow on my keyboard one single time and it's all good.

And, when quoting someone, if I quote them more than once, often the forum fails to register the quote tags until the very end, creating very messy and inaccurate quote trees.

Working just fine as I type this.  It doesn't create quote boxes or anything like that, but I'm smart enough to not type in the text I'm quoting.

Maybe, maybe not.  Either way, it didn't get used and the current set up functions well enough.

What Stant123 said...

August 1, 2011 12:14:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Stant123,
Pretty sure they mean nested quotes.

August 1, 2011 1:08:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

What I'm talking about is when you *attempt* to make a reply with multiple quotes of different parts of someone's post, like Stant123's post did, but the forum software sometimes messes it up and turns it into one huge nested quote tree, which is clearly not what one wants.

EDIT: It just happened to  me on another thread. I'm not going to fix it so you can see what I'm talking about:

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/410862/page/1/#2976290

Reply # 4.

August 1, 2011 6:02:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The quote thing is a known issue with doing multiple "sourced" quotes (it uses a different regex than the standard quotes). Just removing the attribution/link will allow it to work fine as a workaround until Bara has a chance to address it.

August 1, 2011 9:43:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

thanks kryo... 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000235   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.