The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

List of Stardock Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Other Social Media Sites

By on March 23, 2016 9:30:00 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Island Dog

Join Date 06/2003
+759

We have been putting a lot of focus on our Facebook and Twitter pages and it has resulted in new customers and new members of our community.  Since we have quite a few, I wanted to post a list of all of them so you can easily “like” them.

Facebook:

Twitter:

YouTube:

Google+:

Reddit:

Pinned, Locked Post 63 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 28, 2011 4:55:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hmmm, Facebook? 

I would love to be able to know about updates to the software and have a chance at giveaways and coupons, but everything I read, even here in the WC forums, seems to indicate that Facebook is just not the place to be as far as personal information security goes. 

Have I missed something, is this just a case of opinion vs fact?  I don't sign on to any social network because of all the bad things written about Facebook. 

Help me understand. 

June 28, 2011 5:06:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Philly0381,
seems to indicate that Facebook is just not the place to be as far as personal information security goes.
The only personal information that is on it is what YOU put on it. Everybody seems to have an opinion on the subject of Facebook, but in all honesty, it's what you make of it. I use it to keep in touch with my family and friends....and Wincustomize. 

June 28, 2011 5:12:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'll give it a shot but if I catch cold I'm sending Stardock the bill. lol

June 28, 2011 5:12:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Philly, Facebook, like the internet in general, has vulnarabilities, which if a person stays up-to-date, and adjusts their personal settings, (and avoid the apps), can be fairly safe.  It all depends on HOW one uses Facebook.  I have a Facebook page; I got paranoid after following the threads here and deactivated my account, but then decided I needed to stay up-to-date with Stardock, and get information about other things in the world, so reactivated my Facebook account.  All of my "friends" are either family, or work colleagues.  I use my Facebook page as professionally as possible (I rarely post anything on my wall that is political, religious, or overly-opinionated -- trying to avoid embarrassment in the future or make myself a target). 

Good things I've had happen through Facebook: Got back in touch with my best friend from middle school/high school, and discovered she's NOT dead like I thought, and living only 200 miles away, so we're going to get together on the 4th of July and catch up on our lives.  Got in touch with a friend I was close to when my children were babies and her children were babies, got to see old pictures of our babies together, and got to see pictures of what those babies look like as full grown adults, shared old times, found out we had even more in common now -- great time reconnecting.  Also, found my cousin's Facebook page, learned more about what he does for a living, chatted, shared ideas--now my Mom isn't as judgmental about my life, because cousin Paul approves of it; why my Mom would put more weight into my cousin's opinion of me than she would about taking me at face value, I'll never know, but my family life is more satisfying having made this connection through Facebook.

June 28, 2011 5:18:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Philly, I warned people about past and current problems on that and other sites.

Here's another warning (current): http://www.securitynewsdaily.com/dont-watch-this-video-facebook-scam-hacks-accounts-0912/

Many of those problems have been solved. No place is completely safe, just as no site is "unhackable".

You just have to behave in a safe way and limit what info you make available about yourself, your likes and dislikes, etc. Set your security settings accordingly. Choose the https mode. Don't use the chat app, and beware the games which share your info. And strangers offering you candy.

Among the social sites facebook was recently rated the safest of the big four, sorry I can't find that bookmark just now.

Here's some info about relative findings on the various sites:

http://social-networking-websites-review.toptenreviews.com/

Here are some good tips for social site safety:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/social-networking.aspx

June 28, 2011 5:31:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Xiandi,

The only personal information that is on it is what YOU put on it. Everybody seems to have an opinion on the subject of Facebook, but in all honesty, it's what you make of it. I use it to keep in touch with my family and friends....and Wincustomize. 

Amen, sister, amen!

But.....

Haters are gonna hate.
Nothing will ever change that.

June 28, 2011 5:38:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Okay, thanks folks.  I will have to make a decision then.

The other question comes to mind concerning the giveaways, coupons and information.  Is Facebook going to be the only venue for release of this stuff?  I pay my annual subscriptions for Object Desktop and WinCustomize and participate in the forums and IRC and have for awhile.  Yet Facebook is the place for this stuff. 

I know I don't have to go there but if I don't I miss out.  Hmmmm. 

June 28, 2011 5:44:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Philly, if you want I'll send you any notifications I get for deals/coupons I get from SD/WC facebook notifications. Just let me know.

June 28, 2011 5:58:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
Philly, if you want I'll send you any notifications I get for deals/coupons I get from SD/WC facebook notifications. Just let me know.

I appreciate that Doc, but that would be asking for a favor, for you to do something that you really shouldn't have to do.  I'm not that special.   I'm just trying to understand where and why I will need to go to stay updated. 

I may give Facebook a try. 

June 28, 2011 6:11:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

one specific concern about facebook (and other sites, i am sure) is that facebook does not make it easy for a typical user to know where all the 'opt out' buttons, check boxes are.  Further, they have a tendency to change their settings often - making it difficult for non-savy PC users to keep up.  Basically, for many things, the onus is on the user to opt out of 'sharing data' rather than the more polite, "ask me first' approach.  IMHO, the default setting should be very restricted in terms of whats shared 'under the hood.'  But that doesnt help create a large data base of interest to marketers, and advertisers.  So, the opposite is in place: the default settings are very permissive, and the user must seek out all the check boxes, buried sometimes in various places, to keep data from being shared with other www entities. 

That being said, there is no reason you can't sign up with these social media using one of your fictional game persona (different birthdate, etc., and use an email account that is set up ONLY for use to connect with facebook.  This will hook you up to the SD etc.  However, without your real name etc., you won't be able to use the social media for re-connecting with people from the past...

Lots of trade offs... just my 3 cents...

June 28, 2011 6:48:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

In the coming weeks and months, we will be offering exclusive giveaways, coupons, and first-looks on these pages, so it will be a great way to get ahead on some future updates to our games and software.

I dont get it.

Am I missing some back room deal that causes loyal people that visit here regularly to get facebook? I dont even visit Sins mod sights that require you to go to 3rd party sites. Thanks but no thanks. 

June 28, 2011 6:48:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Just call me Stan. 

June 28, 2011 6:54:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

For those who don't "get" that comment above:

June 28, 2011 7:06:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I guess you can call me Stan also.

June 28, 2011 7:09:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ohhh, I totally "get" it now. 

South Park rocks.

June 28, 2011 7:23:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting myfist0,
Am I missing some back room deal that causes loyal people that visit here regularly to get facebook?

Yes.

June 28, 2011 8:23:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I must say, I realy like the FE layout. Very nice artwork. The others are also quite good.

June 28, 2011 10:26:47 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I abhor Facebook but for fun I carefully did this--my gaming alter ego.  Muwahahahaahahah!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002327899051

June 28, 2011 11:33:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Okay so I went to Facebook and signed in or up. 

I'm so bad I could not see where to sign out. 

I think I'm showing my age just a little bit. 

June 28, 2011 11:39:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Be aware, Facebook will constantly prompt you for cell phone numbers, will ask you to open your email account contacts up to it and will try to connect you to everyone and things it thinks can be related to them.

Somewhere on the top of the page to the right is a "log out" button.

If you look at my link above, none of that ties to any of my real-life personal info (except I do actually like the things I listed as likes). 

June 28, 2011 11:45:27 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Sinperium,
Facebook will constantly prompt you for cell phone numbers
Never happened to me and I'm on FB daily.

Philly, there is an account button at the top right. It will give you a dropdown where you can set your privacy, etc., and log out.

June 29, 2011 1:01:46 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

In the coming weeks and months, we will be offering exclusive giveaways, coupons, and first-looks on these pages, so it will be a great way to get ahead on some future updates to our games and software.

I get E-mails From you ..

June 29, 2011 2:56:01 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It just seems to be Facebook this, Facebook that now is ridiculous and kinda bloody annoying. Can't we just have something on here, seperate fi you will, for updates etc?

June 29, 2011 4:21:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Another Stan here... Great vid.

June 29, 2011 5:12:33 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

*sigh*

You don't have to participate on Facebook if you don't like it.  The fact is we have thousands and thousands of "fans" on our Facebook pages and people use FB now to get info and things of that sort.  

Just because we are doing something on Facebook does not mean that is the only outlet for promotions.  

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000296   Page Render Time: