The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Firefox 5 Is Out…

By on June 18, 2011 7:11:15 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Mozilla has gotten this one out fast, and slightly ahead of schedule. Only 12 weeks since ff4 debuted.

Also, just like ff4, ff5’s rendering of Forums sucks.

The final version of Firefox 5 is now available for download on Mozilla's ftp server, just 12 weeks after the last re-up. The latest incarnation brings with it support for CSS animation and a more easily accessible do-not-track setting -- now available at the top of the privacy pane -- but won't see much in the way of GUI enhancements. Of course, if you want to play it safe, and avoid any last-minute tweaks, you can always hold off until version 5 gets official, but what's the fun in that? – Engadget

According to Neowin.net:

• Support for CSS transitions has been added
  • The preference for "Do Not Track" has been moved to aid easier discoverability by users
  • Improvements for canvas, JavaScript, and networking performance, and memory usage
  • Improved standards support for HTML5, XHR, MathML, SMIL, and canvas
  • Improvements to spell checking for various languages
  • Improvements to Linux desktop environment integration
  • Performance improvements for background tabs
  • WebGL fixes: a fix for cross-domain textures and a fix to address the memory stealing issue 

FTP Download sites:

+1858 Karma | 55 Replies
June 18, 2011 7:16:31 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Think I will stick to version 3.6.17. Thanks.

June 18, 2011 7:33:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting kona0197,
Think I will stick to version 3.6.17. Thanks.

Me too, but the Pale Moon version, much better.

June 18, 2011 7:48:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I love Pale Moon 3.6.17 .  The 4.0.1 doesn't do well with WC, a freezes here and there.

June 18, 2011 7:53:27 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Palemoon 4.0.1 having no issues on XP here.  FWIW.

June 18, 2011 8:44:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
The 4.0.1 doesn't do well with WC, a freezes here and there.

Works good here

June 18, 2011 9:39:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

FF4 is working good for me. Pages take long to render though. I have to use the back button then go forward and the page will render quicker. Happens only here though. Not with other sites.

June 18, 2011 9:40:43 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

JU loads slow on any browser in my experience.

June 18, 2011 10:06:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Daiwa,
JU loads slow on any browser in my experience.

So does WC. Out of all the sites I visit or what browser I use or the connection speed, WC loads the slowest.

June 18, 2011 10:06:24 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

It's a race to see how quickly Mozilla can obsolete those wonderful add-ons we all know and love.

June 18, 2011 10:20:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thank you for letting us know about ff5!  I'll have to check it out.

I'm running the latest Pale Moon version, which is 4.0.7.  It's been flawless with WinCustomize and everything else.

June 18, 2011 10:24:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

For those who use Palemoon, on twitter yesterday

@palemoonbrowser: Future plans: Pale Moon 3.6 will remain maintained, and the 4.x branch will move on to v5 when Firefox 5 will have a final release.

June 18, 2011 10:47:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I am using Firefox 6 alpha 2. Wow this post is kinda slow...I mean they are already on Firefox 5 Beta 7.

June 18, 2011 10:57:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

got it.  Thanks! 

June 19, 2011 12:07:49 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Microsoft calls graphics technology in Chrome and Firefox "harmful"

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/microsoft-calls-graphics-technology-in-chrome-and-firefox-harmful/3470

June 19, 2011 12:25:36 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting ice27828,
I am using Firefox 6 alpha 2. Wow this post is kinda slow...I mean they are already on Firefox 5 Beta 7.

I don't notify about Nightlies or Alphas/Betas - only Official releases close to or actually RTM's undergoing a final "buff". Yep. Read that... don't know how to eat it. I don't like the possible Security vulnerabilities aspect of WebGL. That's for sure.

June 19, 2011 12:25:37 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Very interesting, Sarge.

June 19, 2011 1:02:26 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Maybe the guys at MS should invest some time in making IE more usable by allowing extensions instead of saying other browsers are a threat to security. Then I would use IE. Till then I will continue to use Firefox.

June 19, 2011 1:37:24 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting OldMsgt,
Microsoft calls graphics technology in Chrome and Firefox "harmful"
 http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/microsoft-calls-graphics-technology-in-chrome-and-firefox-harmful/3470

With ChromeOS around the corner and applications moving into the cloud, I would have been surprised if Microsoft didn't start making statements like this. Heavens help us if a free and open 3D library becomes standard ... It's new and with most new technology it needs work, at least they are not hiding the problems.

Active X ...

June 19, 2011 1:41:22 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The WebGL vulnerability wouldn't really be one if it weren't for the damned criminals that infest our society, kona. That's hardly MS's fault.

Also, the changes in ff are coming so quickly that they've left many of their extensions behind.  So, if you want your extensions to function, you're relegated to using older versions.

June 19, 2011 3:37:47 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm happy to use an older version. My tabs stay where they are supposed to be instead of along the top and my forums work correctly. As for the WebGL issue I am sure MS will find a way, as always, to patch it.

AS for cloud computing I say no thanks. I like keeping stuff on a local hard drive and work on programs stored on a local hard drive as opposed to having it all stored on the net. I do value my privacy.

June 19, 2011 6:04:31 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Why they had to follow Googles bad example in versioning is beyond me also...

June 19, 2011 8:58:41 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Its called jumping on the bandwagon. Where one sees profit others are sure to follow. A slice of the pie please. Hold the 'whipped' cream.

June 19, 2011 10:19:39 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Just started using Pale Moon. Seems to be doing fine so far though. Been using Gecko/Mozilla since the Netscape days...even on Mac, so I'll probably eventually update it. I hate to change to the "latest and greatest" when I have something that already just plain works RIGHT 'tho...

June 19, 2011 11:06:55 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I LOVE CHROME. I went to the Dark Side! 

June 19, 2011 11:17:14 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting navigatsio,
Just started using Pale Moon. Seems to be doing fine so far though. Been using Gecko/Mozilla since the Netscape days...even on Mac, so I'll probably eventually update it. I hate to change to the "latest and greatest" when I have something that already just plain works RIGHT 'tho...

Me too... loved Netscape. Firefox is ok, but I really like Pale Moon x64. Freakin' FAST as well as good rendering everywhere.

Don't know why Firefox doesn't render correctly for me, though. Tried uninstalling, etc. but didn't help.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001109   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.