The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

DG Strategy – Yellowing Flags (half capping)

By on June 9, 2011 12:40:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

pacov

Join Date 02/2008
+182

Quick disclaimer: as I think of useful tips, I’m going to start writing up some articles. Each article will focus on a particular topic or game play element. The majority of these tips will likely be things that experienced players already know. I welcome any additional feedback on any of the tips and I’m happy to update any OP if you have something useful to add to the topic. Each thread will be originally posted in the Demigod general forum (at least for a bit) and then moved to the DG strategy forums.

Topic of the day: Yellowing Flags (half capping)

We all know that flag control in Demigod is very important. Flags provide team bonuses like gold, experience, etc, and increase the rate that your team accumulates war score. Another thing that flags provide, which is actually the focus of this article, is experience. Any allied Demigod that is near the flag when it is captured will receive experience. And keeping this in mind, should impact your strategies.

So what is yellowing?

Yellowing is just jargon that many experienced players use. It can be explained as follows: an enemy Demigod attempts to capture a flag that your team controls at that time. You allow the enemy to half capture the flag (eg change it from your control to neutral control – or “yellow”), then you force them back and capture the flag before the flag changes from neutral to their teams color. As a result, any allied dg there gets additional experience.

Why is this important?

Any experience you get from yellowing enables you to level up at a faster pace. You also deny an enemy that experience as well. So – you level faster and they level slower. This generally happens more than once in a game, so that experience really begins to add up.

Video example with commentary by pacov:

Here's a link to the replay itself if you want to view it that way:  http://www.jeeplays.com/replay/details/1/78

How do you yellow?

There are several way to accomplish a yellow. At its most basic level, all you have to do is show up on a flag that is half capped and be strong enough to chase away or kill the enemy dg there. And then, recapture the flag for your team. The most basic way is generally not the best. Yellowing usually requires a very good amount of map awareness. You need to know if an enemy player is heading to a flag to capture it, if they are likely alone, what their hp is like, etc. I’ll provide a few examples of how yellows typically go down.

Scenario 1: The map is cataract, 3v3. Your team controls the experience flag in the middle. You notice an erebus on the other team that is wounded with about 1500 hp. You see him leave the hp flag and go off into the fog of war. Now, you have to assume he’s either going to the experience flag to try to capture it or that he’s going back to the crystal. At this point, I start to move my dg into the fog of war a little bit and stay out of sight. I watch the map and pay close attention to see if the experience flag is being captured or not. If it is, I will MAKE SURE TO STAY OUT OF VIEW until after the flag will clearly be half capped. Then, I will move in while the flag is half capped, stop the full capture, and begin to attack and chase the erebus away. This is one of the more common ways of pulling off a yellow.

Scenario 2: This scenario is much like scenario 1, only you don’t know if someone is heading to experience flag or how much hp they have. You just know that you have no idea where the enemy is at (1 or 2 of them). And it’s quite probable that one or two of them will head for the experience flag as its probably the easiest flag for them to capture. Knowing this, I move off into the fog of war and get a bit closer to the experience flag (but still out of view). I’ll tell any teammate that is nearby to “yellow mid.” Then, as soon as the flag is half capped or about to half capped, we’ll move into position, stop the capture, and engage whoever is there if they stick around for a fight.

Scenario 3: The map is cataract, 3v3. Your team has 1 person on the HP flag and is about to engage with a stronger enemy dg. Have your teammate give up the flag (preferably while they still have quite a bit of HP) until it is half capped, then move back onto the flag to keep it from being captured by the other team. Teleport in to the tower on HP and fight off the enemy dg for a quick XP boost for both you and your teammate.

How to avoid being yellowed?

There are a few ways to avoid being yellowed by experienced players. Unfortunately, all of them involve decent map awareness. It all comes down to you knowing where the enemy is or is not, and speculating as to whether or not they are nearby and capable of stopping you from capturing a flag. Here are some scenarios including some warning signs that you are being setup for a yellow.

Scenario 1: The map is cataract, 3v3. I am playing erebus and I’m in the mana lane up against an enemy ub. The enemy team controls both the mana flag and the experience flag. As I’m not having any luck pushing the ub out and we just finished killing off a creep wave, I back off and start heading for the middle. Now, I have to pay a lot of attention to what the ub does. If he’s already pushing me around a bit, he might very well come after me immediately at the middle and yellow me. So, I while I’m heading to mid, I’ll keep my eye on what he does. If he even motions towards the flag, I will quite likely head back to the mana flag immediately to avoid the yellow. If I don’t see him moving toward the experience flag, I’ll check the HP flag and see if the other 2 dgs are there or not. If I see 1 or 2 of them on the hp flag fighting, etc, I’ll try to cap the experience flag. If I see no one, then its possible they are coming to yellow me or are just coming back from the base after healing and could potentially yellow me (this is why its really important to have enough map awareness that you know when someone has to retreat to the base, how long ago it was, or is perhaps laying in wait to yellow you). In this scenario, I’ll take a shot and try to capture the flag.

Scenario 2: Same setup as scenario 1, except this time one of the dgs that was off the screen tries to yellow me. We’ll say I’m a level 10 erebus. Before the enemy dg gets close enough to stop me from capturing the flag, I will do my best to stun him so that I will have enough time to finish the capture.

Scenario 3: You are on cataract. Your hp is somewhat low (about 1500 hp). You decide to try to capture the experience flag. You see someone that might (probably is) heading towards you to fight/yellow. Leave. Its best to avoid the yellow, so bail out quick if you don’t think you can fight or think the dg coming to fight you will have a friend show up to help him.

Caveats: You probably won’t yellow anyone on a regular basis if you have poor map awareness. Yellowing is about knowing where the enemy is and anticipating what they will do next. You already know they want the flags – so you generally know where they are going.

Anyway, those are a few tips and what I hope is a decent explanation of yellowing. So, next time someone says “yellow mid” in a game, you know what they are gibbering on about. J

Relevant Stats:  Even when you aren't yellowing someone, you get 2 XP for every tic (roughly a second) that you stand on a flag and change its status.  Anytime you take control of a flag, you get somewhere between 100 and 120 experience points.  It might not sound like a lot, but it adds up quite a bit.

Locked Post 15 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 9, 2011 12:40:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

NT

June 9, 2011 2:55:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This strategy can be accomplished not only in one try.

Let's say I am going to portal flag. I cap it till half (not yellowing) trying not to be in the view. I know that if I'd yellow it, I'd get instant attention and wouldn't cap it no matter what. Even if they do see my try to take it, they might pursue me (got low health or something). Somehow I escape that. Now it comes to the memory. If enemy remembers that I capped it till exactly half, he'll come back and get it to full control. If not - on next try, I most likely will get it to full, because they won't be able to teleport to it, even if I jump directly on it.

Same can be done with mid of cataract map. Cap it to half to avoid being yellowed. Then come later, to fully cap it.

Another thing. If you see enemy trying to yellow you, just start a close fight with him out of flag range, but you still being in it. So you'd cap it to full, while he is attacking you.

Frost nova, and various stuns help to buy some time for capping also.

If you are getting yellowed, but teammate is coming to help you get it, however is a bit too far. You can buy some time buy running around the flag (usually requires to be faster than enemy) or staying and attacking him, till teammate comes, to push enemy away.

June 9, 2011 5:15:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thx for the feedback dark - I'll add some more scenarios in a little bit.  I just played a game where there were quite a few yellows.  I added some commentary and created a quick video to demonstrate - uploading now and I'll post a link when its up.

June 9, 2011 6:33:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

OP updated with a short video demonstration along with commentary from me.

June 10, 2011 4:46:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Some questions I'm not 100% sure of, and then a  few of thoughts about flag timing.

firstly, if 2 teammates are in range when a flag is capped, do both receive FULL exp for the capture, ie; the same as a capture on their own?

Secondly, I'm sure i've noticed yellowing a flag giving some exp, then more for the full cap. am I correct or just ignorant? I've been close to a level up and gained it on yellowing a flag... or was that just lucky timing?

Now my thoughts about timing your flag runs..... sometimes I'll be playing the 'flag trades' game on cataract where my enemy and myself are recapturing exp flag and outside flag. As I capture 1 he captures the other, then we go the reverse trying to catch up a little (get the capture before he does several times until I can meet him at yellowed flag - I hope).  BUTTTTTT I will watch the creep waves. If you got AOE DG you have the advantage here. I'll cap a flag and WAIT for the wave, and TOAST them with a zap or rain (many use TB ring of fire..not in my build tho) at the enemy tower, allowing my creep wave a run into the towers. If I'm UB the ooze takes care of this nicely, while returning DG gets spat on to try and hold him back from EXP from my creeps as they suicide into tower.

If I can time it right, the outside flag gets captured by ME as the creeps come to that bend, then zap/rain run to middle. If returning from health crystal after first shop usually BOTH mid and side flag will be held by enemy. If the creep wave is with me I follow them to the side and zap the other creeps while capping flag. Then I'll wait for the next wave which enemy DG will usually arrive with to recap the flag from me. I'll focus on the creeps NOT the enemy then run back to mid to get the exp flag. Sure he'll hold the middle flag for that 1 minute longer, but I eat 2 waves of creeps for his one in the meanwhile. Another method is to try and grab those creeps with AOE in the middle if thats the flag u just grabbed - But making sure I'm NOT stealing a wave from a teammate. If I'm a general I'll try to leave a minion close to enemy tower when I can't farm that wave. Why? to bring my ally creep wave as close to tower as possible in the hope that by the time enemy gets there they'll suicide into tower.

lastly, In trying to EXP up  I think it's important to focus on farming. Sometimes a couple of creep waves can pass you by as you hang around the middle trying to  battle out a yellow. I don't know the numbers on it but I find this can lead to losing exp and bounty due to crystal visits and attempting early game kills.

I know this topic is flag control, so maybe a creep farming topic will come soon too

June 10, 2011 8:16:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

haha it happens alot that people message you to fuck yourself?^^

June 10, 2011 9:42:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

@Lukas

First question: Yes the exp is divided by all DG close to the flag when capped.

Your second question aims at the whole sense of this yellow capping. Moving the flag slider gives exp, capping the flag (which means turning the flag to your color) gives a one time exp. The points are something between 20 and 30 for moving the slider the whole way and 100 for capping. So capping the thing is what really gives the points. So if enemy moves from your color to yellow he gains around 10 exp while when you turn it from yellow back to your color you get the same 10 plus 100 for capping it. Thats the whole idea of this yellowing thing.

To answer the long question: A creep wave gives more exp and money than a flag cap. In Pacovs post here one should assume that every creep wave is farmed and that this yellowing the flag is on top of the creep wave exp. To miss a creep wave (better have your team miss a creep wave) for yellowing would be stupid. On gold btw capping and creep wave is much closer together.

Details to all of that you can find here

http://demigod.wikia.com/wiki/XP_and_Gold_mechanics

To me a must have read site for every serious player.

June 10, 2011 10:53:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting nnnils,
haha it happens alot that people message you to fuck yourself?^^

hehe - If I yellow someone like 5 times in a game... yes.    All in a nice way, if that's possible. 

June 10, 2011 10:58:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting SLEDGE71,
In Pacovs post here one should assume that every creep wave is farmed and that this yellowing the flag is on top of the creep wave exp. To miss a creep wave (better have your team miss a creep wave) for yellowing would be stupid.

Well... generally speaking, I completely agree that missing a creep wave for a yellow is not so bright.  There are some circumstances where I'm willing to do so (beginning of the game - my team takes the middle flag, one guy on the other team sticks around to cap it after we leave - i might just stay there to force a 1v1 yellow and lose a wave as a result). Anyway, the general goal should always be to get creep waves like sledge said. 

June 10, 2011 11:08:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_pacov,

Quoting nnnils, reply 6haha it happens alot that people message you to fuck yourself?^^
hehe - If I yellow someone like 5 times in a game... yes.    All in a nice way, if that's possible. 
ye i know what u mean - we all hate to get yellowed

nice video btw

June 10, 2011 4:28:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting nnnils,

Quoting OMG_pacov, reply 8
Quoting nnnils, reply 6haha it happens alot that people message you to fuck yourself?^^
hehe - If I yellow someone like 5 times in a game... yes.    All in a nice way, if that's possible.  ye i know what u mean - we all hate to get yellowed
nice video btw
I hate it so much that i will use a sigil and a pot to not get yellowed!

June 11, 2011 1:53:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

on this topic I have an idea for a mod! How about a cap lock (make it a different type than cap lock, - a 'yellow lock') that actually stops all capping of a flag. So let's say you've got it to yellow and damn here comes 2 enemies. You slam a "Yellow Lock" on there to deny them (and yourself too btw) the yellow. Then regen and hope your TM can get there with you to reclaim some honour.

This could add an element of strategy... A yellow lock for say 200g. Can only lock a yellow with it and not anything else.  Plus start game could change the middle rush...1 player yellow lock the middle while team races for outside flags.

Also say you're limping and the stronger DG gets a 1/2 cap. yellow lock that baby and then quick regen at crystal to fight it out when lock expires.  Of course you couldn't TP to these.

What do you THINK!

Sledge, thanks for the info.

June 11, 2011 3:55:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Running_Lukas,
on this topic I have an idea for a mod! How about a cap lock (make it a different type than cap lock, - a 'yellow lock') that actually stops all capping of a flag. So let's say you've got it to yellow and damn here comes 2 enemies. You slam a "Yellow Lock" on there to deny them (and yourself too btw) the yellow. Then regen and hope your TM can get there with you to reclaim some honour.

This could add an element of strategy... A yellow lock for say 200g. Can only lock a yellow with it and not anything else.  Plus start game could change the middle rush...1 player yellow lock the middle while team races for outside flags.

Also say you're limping and the stronger DG gets a 1/2 cap. yellow lock that baby and then quick regen at crystal to fight it out when lock expires.  Of course you couldn't TP to these.

What do you THINK!

Sledge, thanks for the info.
I think there is enough unexplored team strategy in this game. 

June 13, 2011 6:07:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

wards

June 19, 2011 12:15:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Moved to strategy forum

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.