The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

ATI Mobility Radeon HD5650- Good for Gaming?

By on June 8, 2011 2:46:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

So, I'm looking at a new laptop for gaming, and I've decided on one that I like. I've done a bit of research on the specs, and the video card in particular, as that's what killed my current gaming laptop.

Anyways, I'm planning the laptop to be able to play not only the games I currently own, but also a few that I'm looking to get in the near- to mid-future. So, would the card mentioned in the title enable me to play the following games on, at minimum, all-low graphics settings, preferably all-medium?

Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War II+Chaos Rising+Retribution

Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine

Mass Effect 2

Half Life 2+Episodes 1&2

Mirror's Edge

Section 8:Prejudice

X3:Terran Conflict

Any UDK-derived games (UDK=free version of Unreal Engine 3)

+58 Karma | 23 Replies
June 8, 2011 2:54:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well, If you want to spend some money for a gaming PC DO NOT buy a laptop. But to your question: Yes, this graphic card is good enough for playing those games.

(I crashed my laptop because of gaming - it was my first and surely my last laptop, because i'm a gamer...)

June 8, 2011 2:57:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Onklifiziert,
Well, If you want to spend some money for a gaming PC DO NOT buy a laptop. But to your question: Yes, this graphic card is good enough for playing those games.

Ah, thanks for your answer WRT what I asked in the OP. Though, I must ask why you consider a laptop to be subpar for gaming? My preference is mostly in that I can easily pick up and go with it, especially as I'll be using it for more mundane tasks in addition to gaming.

Since it's likely that most of my personal "e-effects" would be on such a computer, I rather require that it be capable of simply being packed up in under an hour, and in a fairly compact package.

June 8, 2011 3:00:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Whiskey144,

Quoting Onklifiziert, reply 1Well, If you want to spend some money for a gaming PC DO NOT buy a laptop. But to your question: Yes, this graphic card is good enough for playing those games.

Ah, thanks for your answer WRT what I asked in the OP. Though, I must ask why you consider a laptop to be subpar for gaming? My preference is mostly in that I can easily pick up and go with it, especially as I'll be using it for more mundane tasks in addition to gaming.

Since it's likely that most of my personal "e-effects" would be on such a computer, I rather require that it be capable of simply being packed up in under an hour, and in a fairly compact package.

Because a desktop will ALWAYS outpeform a laptop. You don't get something for nothing. Put a laptop with the same "specs" as a desktop together, and the desktop will beat it everyday.

June 8, 2011 3:01:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

i just can tell you my experience with laptops and gaming. For me, i would never buy a laptop again because of playing games.

June 8, 2011 3:07:27 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Exactly. Desktops have not only more power to handle games which can be resource intensive but the memory you need for gaming is also intensive. Something a laptop cannot do. Power and memory are a vid cards best friends. Not to say you can't use a laptop but performance suffers.

June 8, 2011 3:09:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

According to this the card is approximately equal to a (desktop) nvidia 8800 GS card. I think you can run those games, but it won't be max and it probably won't even be medium settings. The FPS will probably be very poor in intense scenes. In particular, Dow2:retribution is probably beyond the reach of such a card.

June 8, 2011 4:53:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
According to this the card is approximately equal to a (desktop) nvidia 8800 GS card. I think you can run those games, but it won't be max and it probably won't even be medium settings. The FPS will probably be very poor in intense scenes. In particular, Dow2:retribution is probably beyond the reach of such a card.

I'm going t disagree WRT Retri, as the minimum card specified for it is a 6600 NVIDIA, which the '5650 is a bit ahead of. OTOH, looking over the minimum specs for Space Marine, I'd say that the '5650 is going to be able to run it, but it's a case of "scraping by", i.e. it works, but its only just above the minimum.

June 8, 2011 10:17:56 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Whiskey144,

It costs more to get the same proformance and having it wear out is more of an issue as you cannot change parts like you can in a desktop (if the video card dies, it is very likely that you will need a new motherboard).

But if you pay the money (or can accept that it will not be able to handle new games) and take care of it (external cooling pad is recommended while gaming) then it can work out. Just do not leave games running while you are not playing.

June 8, 2011 10:55:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

A high-end Desktop graphic card is physidally almost the same 'volume' as an entire Laptop.  They're not that big because the designer is lazy/generous...they're that big to cope with the power consumption and subsequent heat generation.

Shrinking one down to fit into the limitations of a Laptop form will typically require [obviously] power use reduction and throttling back of clock speeds to reduce heat as well.

To overcome those limitations a mobile card would need superior chipset architecture [read smaller] and attract an even more premium price.

In other words, bang-for-your-buck in gaming terms means Lappys are never the option of choice.

See if you can find comparison data/specs on a card/chipset that has both laptop and desktop versions...and compare their performance [and price].  That should make it clear...

June 9, 2011 1:02:16 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Gwenio1,
It costs more to get the same proformance and having it wear out is more of an issue as you cannot change parts like you can in a desktop (if the video card dies, it is very likely that you will need a new motherboard).

Yeah, I hard to learn that the hard way actually. That very problem mostly happened to me*.

Quoting Gwenio1,
But if you pay the money (or can accept that it will not be able to handle new games) and take care of it (external cooling pad is recommended while gaming) then it can work out. Just do not leave games running while you are not playing.

For the most part I'm not interested in a lot of "new(er)" games; there's very few current or up-and-coming titles that I'm very interested in, whether due to lack of appeal or publisher/developer reputation.

One thing I will note is that I do benefit from having a cooling pad, so that's good. Probably the biggest thing for me, though, is manufacturer. The laptop that I used to use for gaming (I've got 2 total) is an HP, and ended up borderline-frying the video card. I still use it, just not for gaming. The other laptop I have, a 4/5-year old Toshiba, I use for gaming ATM, though it's mostly my older or lower-hardware requirement games (like Sins of a Solar Empire ). Considering I had the HP for all-of a single year before it quit on me for gaming, and that the Toshiba still works pretty well in everything I use it for, has indicated that a Toshiba is going to be a major laptop manufacturer of choice for me.

*I say "mostly" because the HP still works pretty well, if running a bit hot for my preference. It also happens to be one of those laptops that has a motherboard-integrated video card. Not cool when I found out.

Quoting Jafo,
A high-end Desktop graphic card is physidally almost the same 'volume' as an entire Laptop.  They're not that big because the designer is lazy/generous...they're that big to cope with the power consumption and subsequent heat generation.

Shrinking one down to fit into the limitations of a Laptop form will typically require [obviously] power use reduction and throttling back of clock speeds to reduce heat as well.

To overcome those limitations a mobile card would need superior chipset architecture [read smaller] and attract an even more premium price.

In other words, bang-for-your-buck in gaming terms means Lappys are never the option of choice.

See if you can find comparison data/specs on a card/chipset that has both laptop and desktop versions...and compare their performance [and price].  That should make it clear...

That first part would explain the enormity of the ATI card Island Dog showed off in a post of his, when he installed it on his desktop. Probably the big thing for me, though, is that I want a laptop that can game very well, mostly because I like being able to up-and-go with my computer. A lot of this has to do with the fact that I do a lot with my computers; game, write, read, social-network, store pictures and video, listen to/store music. So I generally want something that will hold a significant amount of information that is important to me, and also be something I can pack up in a good five or ten minutes, without resorting to going and getting the packaging.

I'm not bashing desktops either; I actually looked at a couple of Acer towers, but none of the ones that were in the budget that I've appointed for the purchase had what I needed; a discrete graphics card of respectable capability. They also had the slight issue in not coming with a monitor, and the monitors I looked at drove the price up nearly 20%. Then I look at some other Toshiba laptops besides the godlike Qosmio series, and find a good, 800 dollar Satellite-series model that has the card specified in the title. Even if it doesn't come with things like an separate mouse or headphones, I've already got such items.

Another reason I have a bias towards laptops is that, at present, space around my desk is at a bit of a premium. As in, "I've got no idea where I can stick a tower that won't be either in the way or liable to be clogged with dog hair and/or dust. A laptop has the benefit of sitting on my desk, in a fairly compact volume, with the price that I pay being in some performance capability. For what I'm looking for, I'm perfectly willing to take the hit, for reasons I mentioned above.

June 11, 2011 7:20:06 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

If you want the best of both worlds, look for a laptop with a docking station that features a GPU.  Okay it'll cost more, but you'll have a lot of gaming power when you need it.

June 12, 2011 3:58:19 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well, I disagree.

Gaming laptops are strong enough to run games on full graphics these days, have enough heat-dissipation to handle long gaming sessions, have enough hard-drive space these days, and their memory-capacity is quite high (8GB is the standard these days for decent gaming laptops). Plus, they don't cost you an arm and a leg like they used to as well, as they now cost between $1000 and $2000 USD for an extremely decent gaming laptop that will keep on staying decent even 2 years after purchase.

I always used to purchase gaming PCs, until once I tried going for a gaming laptop, and that did it for me. Yes, the specs suffer somewhat. No, the gaming laptops are not as capable as a PC in the same price-range. But the mobility you get from it makes the package worth it. If I want to watch a movie, I simply move the laptop below the TV and connect it via HDMI and that's it. No fancy streamers, DVD/Blue-Ray players or dedicated media center PCs required.

If I travel, I can easily play my games whenever I feel like it (granted, it requires a bit of a setup, this is no mobile-device a la iPhone, Nintendo DS and the like, but it's good enough for evening sessions in the hotel room), and if someone needs the PC or the PC room, I can just go play wherever I feel like it. Plus, I get a nice little bonus in the form of a built-in UPS in cases of power outages. True, power outages are rare in this day and age, but once there was a major power outage in the city I lived in, just like that old commercial says:

keeping on blasting super-mutants' heads in Fallout 3 while the rest of the house's residents stumble in the dark with candles/flashlights and have nothing to do until the power gets back on - PRICELESS.

And I know, gaming laptops are not as durable as PCs, and there's always this advice to not keep the laptop plugged-in while the battery is connected as this damages the battery, and other stuff like that - I honestly don't care. I buy a 2-years warranty and enjoy my purchase to the fullest. After the 2 years period, the hardware is not capable of running the current day's games anyway so it's time to replace the laptop anyhow.

June 13, 2011 1:45:01 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Gormoth1,
And I know, gaming laptops are not as durable as PCs, and there's always this advice to not keep the laptop plugged-in while the battery is connected as this damages the battery, and other stuff like that - I honestly don't care. I buy a 2-years warranty and enjoy my purchase to the fullest. After the 2 years period, the hardware is not capable of running the current day's games anyway so it's time to replace the laptop anyhow.

Fine if you have money to burn... not everybody has that much spare cash to be upgrading/replacing a laptop every 2 years.

@ Whiskey144.... if you have a cooling pad and do not expect too much from it [in terms of performance, durability] a laptop with the card mentioned will suffice for the listed gasmes.   However, you would have to ensure its proper care.... ie, not leave it on unattended; periodically clean it with a can of compressed air; perform defrags and other general maintenance to ensure smooth running.

June 13, 2011 3:29:10 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It's not a question of money, it's a question of priorities. I prefer gaming laptops over a new furniture or a bigger screen TV, for example.

June 13, 2012 8:27:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

One year later...

Ive owned a laptop with a 5650 for a few months.

Id say the performace of the card is a fair bit greater than some people realise.

Running Max Payne 3 on High-Very High Specs ( dx 9) @ 30 + FPS!

Yes you have to lower the aa and anisotropic filtering, and the ati catalyst can be a temperamental piece of crap, but in then end its more than good enough to play games from medium-high settings.

Whats this low setting codswallop!

Get this card running efficiently (try removing ati catalyst for that extra frame rate.) and im sure it will meet the needs of the average gaming enthusiast. 

June 13, 2012 8:57:27 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting velcro89,
One year later...

Id say the performace of the card is a fair bit greater than some people realise.

Yes you have to lower the aa and anisotropic filtering, and the ati catalyst can be a temperamental piece of crap, but in then end its more than good enough to play games from medium-high settings.

Get this card running efficiently (try removing ati catalyst for that extra frame rate.) and im sure it will meet the needs of the average gaming enthusiast. 

Well, just running a dx11 game in dx9 is a tragedy brother!  You can leave the Tesselation and such off if you prefer but DX11 runs smoother than DX9 without the fancier options enabled.

Although personally I would've said go for it...I've used an AIO box with a integrated 4730 or something and it was beautiful.   These days I won't even buy a machine that isn't Llano or Trinity, laptop or desktop...I'll be building one with dual graphics for my next desktop.

June 13, 2012 9:13:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Gormoth1,
Gaming laptops are strong enough to run games on full graphics these days

Hardly.

2 YEARS later and I can guarantee there's no 'gaming laptop' that could run FSX on full.

I can't do that and my graphic card alone cost more than most laptops....[GTX590]....

June 13, 2012 10:57:50 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Savyg,

Quoting velcro89, reply 16One year later...

Well, just running a dx11 game in dx9 is a tragedy brother!  You can leave the Tesselation and such off if you prefer but DX11 runs smoother than DX9 without the fancier options enabled.

Although personally I would've said go for it...I've used an AIO box with a integrated 4730 or something and it was beautiful.   These days I won't even buy a machine that isn't Llano or Trinity, laptop or desktop...I'll be building one with dual graphics for my next desktop.

Yea for sure dx11 would be ideal!

Although 11 would run smoother on the lower end, running 9 on high settings seems more than adequate without sacrficiing on the visuals. 

Also forgot: *resolution 1366 x 768 and vert sync off.

P.S: Max Payne is a gem!

June 14, 2012 12:52:03 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Quoting Gormoth1, reply 12Gaming laptops are strong enough to run games on full graphics these days

Hardly.

2 YEARS later and I can guarantee there's no 'gaming laptop' that could run FSX on full.

I can't do that and my graphic card alone cost more than most laptops....[GTX590]....

I recently build a new rig it had a 690gtx that puppy can run anything and if it can not then there is a bottleneck somewhere
I had to laugh when i read your comment above ( A high-end Desktop graphic card is physidally almost the same 'volume' as an entire Laptop.  They're not that big because the designer is lazy/generous ) 

agree +  the batteries would be empty pretty quickly haha but wasn´t there a gaming laptop thing from Dell how was it called ohh yeah (Alien)failureware

June 14, 2012 1:36:22 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Roloccolor,
I recently build a new rig it had a 690gtx that puppy can run anything

It won't run FSX at full detail.  Nothing does....

June 14, 2012 5:38:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have always found the laptop vs desktop for gaming debate moot.

A desktop wouldn't fit my lifestyle.

It would be a luxury expense.

For me, it would be like owning a sports car in a city.

That's not to say I don't completely agree with anyone who says a desktop will outperform a laptop.

June 14, 2012 8:06:54 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

People are quite prone to investing all their money and hopes in one platform, be it desktop or laptop.  If you have both then each can complement the other quite nicely.  If one of them stops working (touch wood) then you still have the other one.  You can also work with offline files on one machine and then let Windows Sync do the tedious file updating for you when both are turned on and connected to the homegroup.

Of course, money is a factor.  But if you're willing to compromise on some things when you're on the move, then you don't need an all-singing all-dancing laptop.

June 14, 2012 11:21:42 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

This is FSX running at 1680x1050 [default monitor res] ...on a ASUS GTX590 - all 3 gig of it.  Above-left is the framerate....it fluctuates constantly as a LOT happens in FSX.

This is 'real'-time conditions.... the weather is correct for YMML [Melbourne airport] for 'now' which was Thursday, 5.30 or so....clearing light rain.

There'll be a wind...it'll be the right direction...if you could see the stars you could plot your location...the land topography is 'accurate'...the entire planet is mapped/loaded on demand....

The plane?  That's a Lockheed l-188 Electra, VH-RMC for Ansett ANA in Oz....around 1959.  The base skins alone [just the plane...not the planet] add up to 144 meg...and comprise [for each section] the 'paint' with an alpha channel for shine, a specular bitmap with alpha for reflective finish [eg metal], a bump-mapping with alpha for seams, ridges, etc [a 3D lighting effect] and an emissive bmp with alpha for night 'lighting' [the windows light up at night].  All that and animations [props] smoke emission effects, beacon lighting....the list goes on.

The flight dynamics are 'correct'...it's a simulator...not a game.

I'm expecting the last 'bottleneck' is actually my SSD.  It could be newer/bigger/quicker.

But the reality is....everyone 'tweaks' [compromises] their settings for FSX ....as a WEI of 7.9 for graphics doesn't guarantee 'I can play any game maxed'.

You can't....and you won't....

BTW...the skin is mine....worked per-pixel...the BMPs are 4096x4096 or 16meg each.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000562   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.