The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Civilization V patch tomorrow.

By on February 27, 2011 6:36:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

mentalinstra

Join Date 07/2010
+3

Assuming they hold to their "February" patch release. Anyone else giving it a shot? Lots of balance stuff and better turn times supposedly. I'm excited to give it a shot, haven't played in a while.

http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?104604-February-Patch-Notes!

Locked Post 16 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 27, 2011 9:02:44 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

1. Are save files still filled with huge repeating garbage strings?

2. Will it still make my 4850 run hot?

Got in on pre-order, sorry I did. The tech problems really put me off the game. Give the patch a day or two and watch the postings. The release patch notes could be interesting as well; might be new info in them.

Think the game has real potential, but think will need two full years to fix all the problems.

February 28, 2011 7:38:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Civ5 patch got delayed. Maybe March 1; sometime in March.

February 28, 2011 11:48:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Its been cleared for release tomorrow March 1st.

http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?105195-February-Patch-Update

March 1, 2011 12:47:24 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Good stuff.  I think I read somewhere that some new DLC and free maps are expected on Thursday of this week.

March 1, 2011 2:40:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Patch is up.

March 3, 2011 10:17:02 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

So, I've read over the patch notes.  Anyone that's played the game post patch notice anything all that game changing or a substantial improvement?  Haven't had a chance to fire up the game yet. 

March 3, 2011 12:52:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Performance is definitely better, the balance changes have noticably affected the pace of the game, AI is a bit better from what I've seen, diplomacy still needs work, and I LOVE the 4 tiles between cities change. The biggest thing to note is that the patch is getting a lot of positive feedback on the 2kGames forum. If people are saying positive things on a Civ V forum its probably a good sign

Is the game perfect or will it ever be? No. But this shows that they are working on it and that it can and will continue to get better. Great patch from what I've played so far.

March 3, 2011 2:02:45 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting mentalinstra,
Performance is definitely better, the balance changes have noticably affected the pace of the game, AI is a bit better from what I've seen, diplomacy still needs work, and I LOVE the 4 tiles between cities change. The biggest thing to note is that the patch is getting a lot of positive feedback on the 2kGames forum. If people are saying positive things on a Civ V forum its probably a good sign

Is the game perfect or will it ever be? No. But this shows that they are working on it and that it can and will continue to get better. Great patch from what I've played so far.

Thanks for the feedback!

March 4, 2011 6:38:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Played post-patch (and with Polynesia too) and must say the game balance is a LOT better.  Turn performance has massively increased for me too.  Haven't had any crashes yet with the new patch, though note I wasn't as affected by crashes pre-patch either.

If you're hoping this is a fix-all patch, you'll be disappointed.  Firaxis specifically said (Dennis Shirk's patch intro at 2K forums) this is a balance-bug patch.  Whilst diplomacy, MP and AI have been improved, the REAL diplo/MP/AI patch is going to be worked on in the future.

Still no hotseat or PBEM.  

Oh, and if you're into DLC, Polynesia is awesome!  If you like playing culture games, or want to experience a good culture game, check them out.  Unique graphics for embarked units, city buildings and a unique tile improvement.  Quite an awesome Civ TBH.  

March 7, 2011 11:02:29 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Are they patching out Steam?  Can I finally buy it?

March 7, 2011 12:55:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sola_III,
Are they patching out Steam?  Can I finally buy it?

Once you go Steam, you never come clean.

March 7, 2011 3:05:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The game is beyond hopeless. I played an island game as Japan. Though the AI built a reasonable force, it parket all the units on water in front of my city and waited there to die from ships and city fire. No attack, no maneuvering, nothing. And not once, but multiple times. A simple scripted event that went wrong, I guess (problably pathfinding of a unit failed, and the others got stuck behind it).

The AI declares war, then you built a few units, and suddenly, it offers surrender, giving all it has. It even did that after my attack was repelled by the city and I had to withdraw!

Oh, yes, and the GUI looks like IPhone. That turns me on! 

How this game can get 90 percent in reviews is beyond me. Corrupted liars!!!

March 17, 2011 4:13:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Kamamura_CZ are you playing at the highest difficulty level?  I always seem to get smeared with that...and now with the new patch it's even worse Now if my graphics card would quit giving me fits. 

@Ryat Nice... that kind of rhymes hehe

May 20, 2011 11:06:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Kamamura_CZ,
The game is beyond hopeless. I played an island game as Japan. Though the AI built a reasonable force, it parket all the units on water in front of my city and waited there to die from ships and city fire. No attack, no maneuvering, nothing. And not once, but multiple times. A simple scripted event that went wrong, I guess (problably pathfinding of a unit failed, and the others got stuck behind it).

The AI declares war, then you built a few units, and suddenly, it offers surrender, giving all it has. It even did that after my attack was repelled by the city and I had to withdraw!

Oh, yes, and the GUI looks like IPhone. That turns me on! 

How this game can get 90 percent in reviews is beyond me. Corrupted liars!!!

I find it piss poor myself. Such a tremendous letdown after cIV.

It was released far, far, far too early. I'd say at least a year if not two.

The reason it got such high reviews was simply that there is pressure on these big game reviewers to give high scores. The game companies advertise with the big game reviewers and give them special perks/bribes, etc.

Usually, individual reviewer scores are more accurate though the game companies are even starting to ruin that. (Bioware scandal with metacritic)

May 20, 2011 12:23:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah I think the AI is struggling with water which is funny because CivIV AI was so good over water... Anyway, I'm enjoying the game now after several patches (and heavy land maps).  It is different from CivIV.  I like to think of CivV as more like Chess than CivIV.  It really plays like a Chess game to me.  You really have to protect every piece (troop) you make.  I also like a lot of the UI improvements... well done Jon!

P.S.  It's helping me pass time until FE comes out.

May 20, 2011 1:18:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I found Civilization 5 to be more of a game.

I found cIV to be more of an experience.

Different tastes I guess.

However, when I note that the AI doesn't like me since "You are trying to win the game the same way he/she is and they don't like it" that turns me right off.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000188   Page Render Time: